GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Finally some progress xD

I had that problem too, there is a folder called fix for vas5054 inside or something like that.

Tell me if you cant find it and i will upload it here.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Reaper!

Yeah, it's rather embarrassing, I realised the other day that I started this project last December and it's only now I made progress! xD
I also changed the plan quite a bit by getting the windscreen replaced, however this thread is still the most informative available for any camera retrofit :)

I had a look and I can't find any folder like that. I would really appreciate a link to it.
The odd thing is, I don't think I did anything differently on my old laptop to get it working. Only difference was that I dual booted Win7 on the old laptop instead of installing a VM...

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Reaper!

Yeah, it's rather embarrassing, I realised the other day that I started this project last December and it's only now I made progress! xD
I also changed the plan quite a bit by getting the windscreen replaced, however this thread is still the most informative available for any camera retrofit :)

I had a look and I can't find any folder like that. I would really appreciate a link to it.
The odd thing is, I don't think I did anything differently on my old laptop to get it working. Only difference was that I dual booted Win7 on the old laptop instead of installing a VM...

https://mega.nz/#!xchlXKiC!8ZLciT-Iem6Q3Yi3kVi4mLSPBqGys2mQV5L-VCjPBfg

here is the link to downloading it, there are instructions there.

basically you need to go to a folder that ends with 042 and replace it with 041 and try to connect to the car, if it doesnt work change it to 040 and try again.

until it works.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
So now the real fun begins... xD

Camera mounted and coding changes made. There was 1 adaptation I couldn't find. I think it was HCA_On_State.

I made the other changes and things look good, I have the assist menu on my MIB with lane assist, dynamic traffic sign etc.

If I flick the light lever I get the auto high beam icon and my cluster screen has adjusted very slightly, leaving space to display a traffic sign speed. I also have lane assist as an option if I press the button on the end of my light lever.
I just get a lane assist error if I try to turn it on, as expected as I haven't calibrated the camera.

I have a few errors on my modules - 17 (cluster) has a 'Incorrect Software Version' error and my A5 is full of databus missing messages, a 'local data bus missing message' and 'no basic setting'.

The problem now, ODIS still isn't working (I've tried the fixes). I will have to reinstall Win7 but 32bit and try that.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
So now the real fun begins... xD

Camera mounted and coding changes made. There was 1 adaptation I couldn't find. I think it was HCA_On_State.

I made the other changes and things look good, I have the assist menu on my MIB with lane assist, dynamic traffic sign etc.

If I flick the light lever I get the auto high beam icon and my cluster screen has adjusted very slightly, leaving space to display a traffic sign speed. I also have lane assist as an option if I press the button on the end of my light lever.

I just get a lane assist error if I try to turn it on, as expected as I haven't calibrated the camera.

I have a few errors on my modules - 17 (cluster) has a 'Incorrect Software Version' error and my A5 is full of databus missing messages, a 'local data bus missing message' and 'no basic setting'.

The problem now, ODIS still isn't working (I've tried the fixes). I will have to reinstall Win7 but 32bit and try that.
Hey, all those errors will go away with calibration and proper coding.

About ODIS, when you connect the vas5054 to your laptop with vmware open, it should ask you if you want to connect this device to your regular system or to your vr machine and you can do it manually too, the fix has to work. You are probably doing something wrong.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Managed to get ODIS running and I've just attempted my static calibration, however I'm getting an error. It guides me through, I enter my wheel heights and start the calibration, then it says 'the communication with front camera for driver assistance systems -r242 has failed'

Any ideas? Everything seems to be in order, it's not an alignment issue it seems as the calibration doesnt seem to even start...

Edit:

I've had a play around with OBD11 since and managed to get a new 'incorrect installation location' error. This would make me believe the communication issue is still something ODIS related, although everything else appears fine with ODIS.

I've looked around but can't find any details on how to perform the static calibration with OBD11, even though it seems to be possible. I've found the adaptation channel to set the wheel arch heights, but I'm not sure what other steps are needed to calibrate this way.

Last edited:

2egolf

VCP Is the tool for you then, usually cameras come with the newest software( at least in my case, i couldnt find a newer version for all the stuff i retrofitted)

If you have Original VCP it will be so easy to do it.

If not, you will need to buy another 3Q0 camera with Pedesteian warning.

Try asking sellers on ebay if the camera they are selling has that feature.

Can't you update the firmware using ODIS-E? It looks like they are available according to lists such as https://vag-flashinfo.de/?getListForV.

If you were to flash the camera with new firmware, would it also require to install new parameters (which I hear cannot be done with ODIS-E but has to be done with VCP)?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Managed to get ODIS running and I've just attempted my static calibration, however I'm getting an error. It guides me through, I enter my wheel heights and start the calibration, then it says 'the communication with front camera for driver assistance systems -r242 has failed'

Any ideas? Everything seems to be in order, it's not an alignment issue it seems as the calibration doesnt seem to even start...

Edit:

I've had a play around with OBD11 since and managed to get a new 'incorrect installation location' error. This would make me believe the communication issue is still something ODIS related, although everything else appears fine with ODIS.

I've looked around but can't find any details on how to perform the static calibration with OBD11, even though it seems to be possible. I've found the adaptation channel to set the wheel arch heights, but I'm not sure what other steps are needed to calibrate this way.
That happend to me too, its just like the error says, reconnect the connector for the camera and switch the car off and on, then try again.

Play around with it.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Can't you update the firmware using ODIS-E? It looks like they are available according to lists such as https://vag-flashinfo.de/?getListForV.

If you were to flash the camera with new firmware, would it also require to install new parameters (which I hear cannot be done with ODIS-E but has to be done with VCP)?
The best way i know of upgrading firmware is ODIS E, but whenever you upload new software you need parameters aswell, if you have the file then ODIS E can do it( which was what i did) but usually VCP Does it.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
That happend to me too, its just like the error says, reconnect the connector for the camera and switch the car off and on, then try again.

Play around with it.

Ok, thanks Reaper, I'll have to have another go when it stops raining!
I did try few times and turned ignition on and off etc. I didn't try disconnecting and reconnecting the camera though, maybe that's whats needed.

Out of interest do have the long coding of your A5 unit? I made the changes as listed in the coding list you posted a while back, but there are still a few other things like 'bodystyle' and 'class' etc. It would be interesting to see what you have for all of these too.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
The best way i know of upgrading firmware is ODIS E, but whenever you upload new software you need parameters aswell, if you have the file then ODIS E can do it( which was what i did) but usually VCP Does it.

Ok may be, i can share my experience here about my attempt to Update using ODIS-E.

My original Camera Part number show in VCDS is as follows -
Part No SW: 3Q0 980 654 G HW: 3Q0 980 654
Component: MQB_B_MFK H06 0231

Lane Assist., Dynamic Lane Curve assist and HighBeam Assist all works.
Traffic Recognition / Pedestrian / TJA : Do not work.

Using another internet discussion site, i was able to get the files - Update *.frf file for my exact hardware (H06) and an accompanying XML file.

Used ODIS E to flash update the frf and xml file, thinking it will enable this functionality. Flash process took almost 45 min to complete., with all instrumentation lights flashing like a christmas tree with all sorts of errors., even the headlights/brake lights and DRL were lit on during the flash process.

Initially all my DAP systems were showing Un-Available, but after clearing the DTCs, everything returned back to working state.

Checked the Camera A5 in VCDS, the part/sw number is now-
Part No SW: 3Q0 980 654 H HW: 3Q0 980 654
Component: MQB_B_MFK H06 0272

The component is updated, however none of the new functionality - Pedestrian/TJA or Traffic is still not available., also the calibration data was not wiped out all.

Wondering if the Flash Procedure is not right, or the update files (frf and xml) used in ODIS E was just another locked down version from VW Server.

I am going to try my friend's cloned VCP version., but i doubt if i can get the right ZDC and XML Parameter file on that...

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ok, thanks Reaper, I'll have to have another go when it stops raining!

I did try few times and turned ignition on and off etc. I didn't try disconnecting and reconnecting the camera though, maybe that's whats needed.

Out of interest do have the long coding of your A5 unit? I made the changes as listed in the coding list you posted a while back, but there are still a few other things like 'bodystyle' and 'class' etc. It would be interesting to see what you have for all of these too.

Hey, its a communication error.

My long coding is 0101010001020300000000000000000000

But my camera is 5q0.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ok may be, i can share my experience here about my attempt to Update using ODIS-E.

My original Camera Part number show in VCDS is as follows -

Part No SW: 3Q0 980 654 G HW: 3Q0 980 654

Component: MQB_B_MFK H06 0231

Lane Assist., Dynamic Lane Curve assist and HighBeam Assist all works.

Traffic Recognition / Pedestrian / TJA : Do not work.

Using another internet discussion site, i was able to get the files - Update *.frf file for my exact hardware (H06) and an accompanying XML file.

Used ODIS E to flash update the frf and xml file, thinking it will enable this functionality. Flash process took almost 45 min to complete., with all instrumentation lights flashing like a christmas tree with all sorts of errors., even the headlights/brake lights and DRL were lit on during the flash process.

Initially all my DAP systems were showing Un-Available, but after clearing the DTCs, everything returned back to working state.

Checked the Camera A5 in VCDS, the part/sw number is now-

Part No SW: 3Q0 980 654 H HW: 3Q0 980 654

Component: MQB_B_MFK H06 0272

The component is updated, however none of the new functionality - Pedestrian/TJA or Traffic is still not available., also the calibration data was not wiped out all.

Wondering if the Flash Procedure is not right, or the update files (frf and xml) used in ODIS E was just another locked down version from VW Server.

I am going to try my friend's cloned VCP version., but i doubt if i can get the right ZDC and XML Parameter file on that...
The activation of TJA is using a parameter file and not a software update, so you upgraded the software and then used the same parameters that do not include TJA.

Only Original VCP can do it.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
The activation of TJA is using a parameter file and not a software update, so you upgraded the software and then used the same parameters that do not include TJA.

Only Original VCP can do it.

Yeah thats a bummer, spending 300+ Dollar for just this work doesnt make sense to me., unless if someone willing to rent their cable for a couple of days, that i can pay.