GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Good information. Trash that they are acting like they didn't receive it. I learned the hard way to use Amex for PayPal, even when going goods & services. Amex returns my money and then they deal with the vendor.

I had to return something to a seller in the France a few years ago. They sent me a box with a bunch of broken parts (none of which were what I had ordered). F***in PayPal... I opened a case with them which dragged on for 2+ months while they allowed the seller time to respond. Then they said I had to return the "item" to the seller, at my cost of course. And because it had now been a couple months I had to send a box of actual garbage International Priority back to France to guarantee it made it back during the return period :mad::mad:.

Then the POS seller never went to his local post office to pick it up. So it sat in France, in his town, a few miles from the original shipping address. PayPal claimed they could not guarantee I sent it back until it was signed for, even though they could see the tracking and when it got to the seller's local post office. They closed my case twice in favor of the seller, without refunding me. I was finally able to get someone to un-ass their head re-open the case (again) and close it my favor, refunding me.

And that folks, is the last time I used anything other than my Amex for PayPal. I've always made purchases "goods and services" for the protection but would occasionally pay with my bank account. NEVER again, PayPal's interpretation of buyer protection as absolute shit.

I won't actually tag them but the seller was @ Ridacx... since banned I assume, who has not been seen on the forum since they stopped responding to my requests (here and via PayPal) for updates. They initially told me the shipper grabbed the wrong box and that's why I had received a bunch of broken parts. Turns out that was false, haha.
Wow, I've never had an experience like that with PayPal as a buyer, I never had to fight to get a refund. I've had to fight as a seller when people would return broken items in place of working items. Stories like that make me loose faith in humanity.

EBay does their own payment processing now, haven't had the pleasure yet of filing a claim. Only thing I'm worried about is on the tracking page it shows delivered to my address. You have to expand the tracking info to see it was returned to sender. That might cause a problem if I get someone lazy.

I was going to give them one more day, but I messaged them at like 4am EST and have yet to get a reply. I should have know shipping an airbag was gonna be a pain.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@Cuzoe, what is your coding for your steering wheel switches. I need to code out the dsg paddles, but no labels in vcds yet.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There are no labels for the steering wheel switches, or for the old steering wheel switches either from what I recall. I didn't touch the steering wheel switch module coding.

I did do coding in the gateway for the buttons. I would have to look again but I think it's an adaptation in the gateway for paddles installed/not installed.
This one I think... ENG118779-IDE02583-Multi_function_steering_wheel_control_module Coding Value-Steering wheel Tiptronic switch (installed/not installed)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
And the retrofit is a fail. No acc no lanewatch, buttons work for a couple minutes. Acc errors tsk fail, and control unit mismatch. Can someone post an auto scan

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't have a scan handy, but if you have a Gateway ad-map post that up...

Initially my cruise control worked for like 5 minutes then failed and wouldn't come back... I set one of the gateway extended wheel something travel assist > automatic
I also enabled experimental long coding for the gateway and VCDS and selected Sollvervau_KLR to installed (this is for the touch sensors though, probably no difference without travel assist)

And also, in the gateway there is a setting to change the button communication protocol to MQB (the other options are MQBEVO and MQB2020). I can't off the top of my head remember where this is, maybe in the MFSW sub-module?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ahhh, the protocol is probably not set to mqb. That's probably my whole problem

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Just once I would like a retrofit to go smoothly.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What would be the fun in that? After all my research to switch to a 549x clockspring I ended up getting the 569x spring I wanted from the outset.

Maybe I'll put all that crap together and sell a 549x clock spring conversion kit in the classifieds :ROFLMAO:.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm a dope. I forgot I had put my 5q0 gateway back in.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I didn't do the SWaPs for the driving profile when I did it. And my login was no good by the time I got around todo it

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ahhhh, gotcha... I've got to schedule a remote session to take care of CP and Keys for my facelift BCM. Finally done with adaptations... I can't believe I ever considered doing them "as I went" in the car instead of on the bench at my computer desk.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ya, that would be hell todo in the car. Way too many channels. I hated doing the adaptations for my xenon afs retrofit. And that was like 30 channels. Can't imagine going through hundreds. Would take me a year

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea, not only the number of channels, but comparing to other scans/maps... using Google translate, referencing various forums/posts. I use a cheap 43" 4k TV (thank you Costso/Citi cash back) as my computer monitor and I did not have enough screen real-estate to make it comfortable.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Welp got module installed, getting APS TIMOUT, TSK FAIL errors. And a P0568 Cruise Control Set Error

Can you post an auto scan when you get a chance

Last edited: