GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace rear rotors

rbboutback

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI PP 2013
Hi,

The rear rotors of my GTI need to be replaced. I already changed the front and had no issues doing it on stands. By steering the wheel you get enough clearance to use a breaker bar and torque Wrench. But for the rear 310mm rotors seems a bit more difficult. I have watched a couple of videos where they show that the rotor slides without removing the calliper bracket. Anyone can confirm this?
That would make it easier and no need to replace the single use bolts

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hi,

The rear rotors of my GTI need to be replaced. I already changed the front and had no issues doing it on stands. By steering the wheel you get enough clearance to use a breaker bar and torque Wrench. But for the rear 310mm rotors seems a bit more difficult. I have watched a couple of videos where they show that the rotor slides without removing the calliper bracket. Anyone can confirm this?
That would make it easier and no need to replace the single use bolts
Apparently it’s possible, it’s not going to cost you anything to try.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2016 withe the PP brakes. I could not slide the rear rotors off without removing the caliper bracket. If you figure out how, let us all know.

rbboutback

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI PP 2013
Hi, I can confirm that discs can slide, so no need to remove the bracket. First I tried to undo the bolts but the space is really tight when working on jack stands. I even thought of hiring a lift in a nearby place I know, but then I gave it a try. After removing the calliper and the pads, and unbolting the torx of the disc it slides out quite easily!
Another advantage is that you dont need to buy new bracket bolts which according to VW are single use (although many people reuse them if they look ok).
I hope it helps

Attachments

• 20210907_114708.jpg
    20210907_114708.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197
  • 20210907_122010.jpg
    20210907_122010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 197

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Good to know in the future, thanks! I really hated the caliper bracket bolts. They're in a terrible spot to access.

1970something

Ready to race!
Hi, I can confirm that discs can slide, so no need to remove the bracket. First I tried to undo the bolts but the space is really tight when working on jack stands. I even thought of hiring a lift in a nearby place I know, but then I gave it a try. After removing the calliper and the pads, and unbolting the torx of the disc it slides out quite easily!
Another advantage is that you dont need to buy new bracket bolts which according to VW are single use (although many people reuse them if they look ok).
I hope it helps

Do you have the PP or non-PP brakes? I can’t tell from the pics. Thanks