GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remote Car Starters

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed

According to the author of that article, the mixture is so rich after start that it washes the oil from the cylinder, ok, right. The fact is, modern fuel injection systems regulate fuel based on temperature actually prevents that condition. If you know anything about engines you’d know most of the wear during start is the first few moments before oil coats the cylinder walls. I don’t know how rich the mixture would have to be for the fuel not to vaporize but the motor wouldn’t be running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
i was under the opinion that once the wideband O2 has warmed up the idle is near stoic and not the rich condition those articles describe.

also, during the REALLY cold winter months up here in canada my 20 min commute does NOT get the oil up to operating temps, so which is the lesser of 2 evils?

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Compared to my MK5 our cars drop down to idle fast. With the new thermostats I'm sure many have noticed we get heat faster now. Still, unless you've been where it's typically -37* F in the winter, you can't appreciate remote start. It was only -10 when I visited family, and my rental car didn't get any heat in the first 15 minutes. Unless you lived in these conditions you don't realize how easy it is get hypothermia unless you're dressed properly. I wasn't.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Anyway, it's what, $300 for an extra KESSY, hundreds for the starter, and another couple for installation if you don't do it yourself?

Will an inline hose coolant heater work with our electronic thermostats? I would hope when the car's not running they're open. You need to be parked on your driveway of course.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I'd love a remote starter. I don't need to warm up my car or cool it down before entry, but theres just something nice about having your car turn on and initiate everything as you walk up to it. Plus, there are times where I am running to the car and have to leave in quite the hurry, in these situations having the car already on is a great feature.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Had a remote start for my old durango, rest in peace ol girl.... but yeah, PA winter is cold af. It's nice to get into my car and its warm. Now I have a 6MT and would totally have gotten remote start if it was factory feature. If your worried about the environment then maybe you shouldn't be on this forum. As for price, good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good.

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Had one on my last car, very nice to have the car warm. As for idling while cold, you can't drive away until the windows defrost anyway. I usually have to wait 5 minutes before leaving and would rather wait inside.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
My friend has a remote start in his Silverado and another friend in his Camaro SS. They are novelties in So Cal and they rarely used them outside the first week of ownership.

Regarding warmup, I was taught to start the car, let the rpm's drop to idle, and drive softly until oil hits around 180.

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I'm having one installed next month. A Compustar with Drone. I live right on the New Hampshire border and I work nights. The hawk is out half the year here. I plan on keeping my car for at least 7 years so I want it to be as comfy as possible.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If I lived where it was cold, I'd just have a proper block heater setup.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I'm having one installed next month. A Compustar with Drone. I live right on the New Hampshire border and I work nights. The hawk is out half the year here. I plan on keeping my car for at least 7 years so I want it to be as comfy as possible.

your car might not last 7 years due to excessive idling.