GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommended Hampton Roads APR dealers/VW tuner shops/Service?

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Good to know. I went to Dellinger's for tires, since they're a Conti dealer.

Thinking of going to EuroPros to get pads and fluid flush, but not sure of the req'd timeline - i hate to sit waiting for hours. Usually i deal with Casey VW and they've been decent, they don't give me crap about the tune and give me a loaner if it'll be long.

Good to know regarding Casey and the tune. That's where I got my car.

IVVVIKris

Ready to race!
HBmotorwerks is in Chesapeake. The guy there did my United Motorsports ECU and DSG flash when I had my MkV R32, don't think he does APR though. He only does VW/Audi work and he definitely knows his stuff:thumbsup:

As for dealership work I'd take the drive to Checkered Flag, I haven't had any issues w/ their service department and they've even taken me back in the shop to look at stuff on my car while they were inspecting it. They were even working on a boosted MkIV R32 so they seem ok working on modded cars. Greenbrier, at least their sales staff, are pretty hit-and-miss.

Last edited:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
HBmotorwerks is in Chesapeake. The guy there did my United Motorsports ECU and DSG flash when I had my MkV R32, don't think he does APR though. He only does VW/Audi work and he definitely knows his stuff:thumbsup:

As for dealership work I'd take the drive to Checkered Flag, I haven't had any issues w/ their service department and they've even taken me back in the shop to look at stuff on my car while they were inspecting it. They were even working on a boosted MkIV R32 so they seem ok working on modded cars. Greenbrier, at least their sales staff, are pretty hit-and-miss.

HB Motorwerks needs to drop UM and go with Unitronic. Surprisingly we have tons of APR dealers but no Uni except in Richmond.

IVVVIKris

Ready to race!
HB Motorwerks needs to drop UM and go with Unitronic. Surprisingly we have tons of APR dealers but no Uni except in Richmond.

UM has a very solid reputation amongst the R32 crowd and I have to agree based on my experience with their tunes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think UM supports the 2.0T as well.

deadfm

Passed Driver's Ed

I was just thinking this. I want to go Uni Stg 2 after my TBE install. It would be nice to have a dealer in this area but a spirited drive back from the midlothian area would be just as nice!

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
Recent Experience with Casey VA in Newport News

Okay, so I bit the bullet and decided to just go local because it was much more convenient for me to use Casey VW for my 30K warranty/maintenance care work than West Broad Audi/VA in Richmond. I was dreading the forced march into Casey VW because they have mixed reviews from Google and a dealerrater.com rating of 2.8/5.0. FWIW, Checkered Flag VW has a dealerrater.com rating of 4.9/5.0, and West Broad Audi/VW has a dealerrater.com rating of 4.6/5.0.

So, I did my homework. I wanted to be absolutely sure that they were going to do everything that was supposed to be done for the 2010 VW GTI 30k Carefree Maintenance Program for USA, found here: http://www.vwcorporatefleet.com/pdfs/VWCarefreeMaintenanceProgramSchedule.pdf

How did I ensure this? I created a service appointment ticket online through their website and named everything that was required to be done and everything that I wanted to have checked, which included (in addition to the list for the 30k Care program checks/changes) having them check the power sunroof dial (panel would not light up), BlueTooth connection (callers were noticing that voice quality was getting worse), MDI connection (my RNS510 console MDI wasn't recognizing my iPhone, but it was charging), check the water pump, all belts and hoses, and a 28-point inspection. Well guess what...when I pulled up and spoke with a service representative they had no record of my online service ticket I had created the previous afternoon, which was submitted before COB, FYI. They need to fix that...

This wasn't so much of an issue because I had a upfront conversation with the service representative stating exactly what I wanted to have done. When you do this, I would highly recommend that you have a list of what you need to have done, and what you want checked out in writing to mitigate any confusion, and that you don't be a dick, but be professional and friendly (this will get you much further than being a douche to the dealership). I didn't agree with everything he said about his dealership (was getting the new customer shpeel), especially when he said they were the best rated dealership in the state (dealerrater.com shows them to be the worst!). I ran through my needs and requests, got ALL of my personal items out of the car (including SD card, phone holder, registration, glove compartment receipts, etc), kept the conversation in the positive and friendly, wrote on their work order to not have my car washed, and picked up my dealership loaner vehicle; a 2012 VW Tiguan. Later that same day the service rep calls me back and states that the BlueTooth module was "defective" and the car would be ready for pickup Friday (dropped off Wednesday morning).

Friday morning rolls around and I return my loaner Tiggy at the dealership. First, I notice that the car had been washed. I asked why, and the service rep said it hadn't and then said it might have been and could not explain why it had after I wrote on the service order, that I signed, to not wash the car (I'm not enjoying the swirls now). Second, I get in the car and try connecting my iPhone and it still doesn't work/connect/recognize the MDI connection. The service rep was there and I told him to take it back after a service tech came to look at it. I also pointed out that the sunroof dial light is still out (my recommendation here for other owners: inspect the work done on the car before you drive off the lot). Third, after I go to wait in the lobby, the service tech comes back and states they have to replace the MDI connection module because it was "defective" and that it will take a couple of minutes to repair and the unit that holds the sunroof dial will have to be ordered; I guess it was "defective". I tell them to go ahead and perform the repair work, and I'll keep waiting in the lobby (at this point, it was worth it to me to wait rather than make another appointment). Fourth, I get called back because the car is ready and discover two scratches in the finish in the rear driver side door. I tell them to take care of it because it was not in the scratched condition when I dropped it off. I then tell the service rep I'll wait, again, in the lobby. :mad0259:

During my lobby wait (from the second to fourth snaffoo) [they have a nice, clean waiting area with a huge LCD HD TV, BTW], I overhear, of all people, Dave from Euro Pros, talking about his recent 2011 MKVI Stage III GTI purchase. I instantly forgot about the back-and-forth waiting as I got to inspect the car and listen to the APR TBE it had :drool:.

I get called back to the service bay, again, to pick up my GTI, again and found the service rep used Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 on the door panel. So, the scratch to the finish was taken care of(?), what was expected to be an in-and-out procedure turned into an hour and a half waiting game, and I need to come back for another part. After reading my ordeal, you may decide for yourself whether or not to visit this dealership for service. I am sure over half of the negative dealership reviews are based upon displeasing sales experiences, so I take the service experience I had with a grain of salt because sales versus service experiences may be completely different.

My recommendation to you, if you visit this dealership for warranty work:

1) Transcribe work you want done in writing and hand it to the service rep;
2) Discuss the work you want done, point-by-point;
3) Confirm the service rep received your written work request (staple it to the print-out work order);
4) Double-check your requests are written in the work order you need to sign;
5) Have the service rep recognize that you may not want your car washed, and if not, verify that is written down on the work order in their system;
6) Inspect the work performed after you pick up your car on the lot;
7) Do not leave if more work needs to be done, have them address it immediately (that is if you have time);
8) Have the service rep and/or tech (whomever you deal with) discuss everything that was done to the car;
9) Don't be a dick, remain professional even if they screw something up, and always demand better;
10) Ask for a customer feedback form/card.

So, will I return for other warranty work? Perhaps, since I've already established a rapport.
Would I recommend them for warranty service? For someone who is local, sure, but with the aforementioned caveats.
Did I receive good customer service? Yes.
Did they perform all of the work I requested and later demanded? Yes.
Did I feel like I needed to ride their ass? Yes.
Did they ask me if there were any modifications to the car? No; it was obvious my GTI has modifications; I did not tell them since they did not ask.

PM me if you want names...

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
Do any of you know if CARS inc. is still in business in chesapeake?

They have no recent filings (available online at least) with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (ID: S1113473), and their website is kaput (carsincorp.com), so I think it's fair to assume its dissolved/bought off (FYI; their principal office listed below is for Bowditch Ford in Newport News, VA). Feel free to drive by. Here's their information (this is public information found through VA SCC inquiry):

CARS, LLC

General
SCC ID: S1113473
Entity Type: Limited Liability Company
Jurisdiction of Formation: VA
Date of Formation/Registration: 12/22/2003

Principal Office
11076 WARWICK BLVD
NEWPORT NEWS VA23601

Registered Agent/Registered Office
DANIEL A ROSINSKI
xx xxxxxxxx xx (He may no longer live at this location; house was listed for $799,000 in April 2012)
HAMPTON VA 23664
HAMPTON CITY 207

Effective Date: 11/12/2008