GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear X-Brace

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think it is a strut brace. it appears to attach to the rear seat upper locking bar (undo your rear seat and you will see the small bar). I think its a cosmetic piece to support the net. imo

Not sure if a strut brace but I do not think cosmetic.
Is it not a location to bolt racing seat belts to?
It mounts close to the frame the Unibrace XBQ brace attached.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
For the moment I am inclined to agree with EB2429 after reading this article.

Quote from said webpage:

VW has made a gesture at replacing at least part of the function of the rear seatbacks with an anodised bar that bolts between the upper seatback anchorages and a retaining net that hangs underneath it, tied down to the boot floor, which should prevent anything you put in the boot from joining you in the front of the cabin under heavy braking.
But you couldn’t call the bar itself a rear strut brace (although it’s clearly supposed to look a bit like one), because it’s only fixed – and fixed quite loosely at that – with allen bolts.

Lord, hope that description is not true. :(

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
For the moment I am inclined to agree with EB2429 after reading this article.

Quote from said webpage:

VW has made a gesture at replacing at least part of the function of the rear seatbacks with an anodised bar that bolts between the upper seatback anchorages and a retaining net that hangs underneath it, tied down to the boot floor, which should prevent anything you put in the boot from joining you in the front of the cabin under heavy braking.
But you couldn’t call the bar itself a rear strut brace (although it’s clearly supposed to look a bit like one), because it’s only fixed – and fixed quite loosely at that – with allen bolts.

Lord, hope that description is not true. :(

What a wasted opportunity in a low volume of production.
For a little more could have made it something and painted it red.

2017whitegolfr

Those tools and nutserts are kinda cool fasteners. I've used them on a few motorcycle applications.

I was looking at the XBrace a while back, but it seemed a little too labor intensive and possibly obstrusive if trying to carry larger cargo. :(
Thus I opted for the ECode bars....
Like the look of that

bpastre90

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone had more feed back regarding the unibrace for the mk7? wondering how its treating you and the difference you felt if your a sprinted driver.

AR11

Ready to race!
I now believe that the rear flexes a good bit because I was noticing that the leather seats would creak when I load up the suspension.

I really like the eurocode part but I wish that it braced across the top of the back seats rather than the bottom both in order to allow for long cargo (lumber, guns, bikes) to be transported flat without sitting on top of the brace edge. It would probably be a better spot in terms of stiffness anyway. At this point (even with track use) I can't justify giving that cargo ability.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I had the Eurocode rear brace and I'd say it helped with the rear end feel. I already had sway bars and coil overs too. It was not as extreme as the difference in the MK6, but still noticeable. I got it on sale though, so it was a lot cheaper than the XB. Only guessing, but the XB would probably make a bigger impact.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I had the Eurocode rear brace and I'd say it helped with the rear end feel. I already had sway bars and coil overs too. It was not as extreme as the difference in the MK6, but still noticeable. I got it on sale though, so it was a lot cheaper than the XB. Only guessing, but the XB would probably make a bigger impact.

It would. Except of the metal difference (if any) it's known that two fixed points define a straight line. Three (or four perfectly machine in this situation) define a flat surface. Basic geometry.