GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Race Ramps - Anyone used them?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I've never used that brand specifically but yeah we have ramps like that and we use them ALL the time. Great for oil changes and exhaust installs. (Just reverse up the ramps to do catbacks etc). They tend to slide around a bit when going up on them while in our garage, but on cement or blacktop they grip just fine.

Booger_Davis

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a set of plastic/composite ramps to help in installing a hitch and have used them a couple time since. I like them but am taking care to give them a good once-over before using them, just in case.

Mine are surely not race-ramp quality, given they were one-tenth the price. I don't think mine are 10" tall either, and that would be useful.

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
I've used rhino ramps for years. But the race ramps solve the problem of not being able to get a jack under the front jacking point. But...$230 is steep. But if money is no concern, I'd get them :)

rcsummers

Ready to race!
I took a bunch of 2x10's, cut them to various lengths, and stacked them.

I have a 4-tiered ramp for things like oil changes/exhaust work.

And a 2-tiered ramp for small things, like fitting a jack under my m3. #stanceproblems

Id attach pictures, but I don't think I have any. Google search "wood ramps for car"

edit, found a link. its from a mustang site. hopefully it doesn't crash.

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I'm thinking about picking up a set of race ramps instead of jacking my car up every time I want to work on it. Has anyone used these or something similar to do work on any car?

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-67-inch-race-ramps.aspx

I have a feeling this would make a downpipe install a breeze.

Been using the race ramps for years with my E36, E46, and E92 M3s.
They work perfectly with the MK7 GTI lowered on VWR type springs as well (mine has the REVO springs; virtually the same thing).
There's also race ramp pieces for the rear wheels; I've used those when I wanted the whole car elevated, and didn't have to remove the wheels for what I was doing.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the feedback guys, I work on my car and others so this might be a good investment for me.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I have rhino ramps and it barely clears the stock height. I bought rave ramp extenders but haven't had a change to try them yet, but it looks like it'll clear all my cars now.

I installed my DP just on ramps and it was a little tight but easily doable. I haven't had to use a jack to lift my GTI up once yet.

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
Highly recommend race ramps. They are easy to drive up and work for lower cars. Bought a set of two piece Ramps when I needed something lower for my 350z. Just purchased a set of rear blocks so I can elevate the car and load the suspension.

As far as I know, best ramps money can buy and worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Nut

Passed Driver's Ed
I originally got Race Ramps for the vette due to low clearance. Used it on the MK4 GTI GLS as well. Love'em and recommend them. Lightweight, quick to setup or stow away. If you can make one of the two-piece ones work for your vehicle(s) I would suggest that. Quite a few times I wished that I could get more side access.

Only downside I remember hearing about was on corvetteforums that somebody put a large/heavy pickup up and it kinda squished them (exceeded load rating).

MI_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I took a bunch of 2x10's, cut them to various lengths, and stacked them.

I have a 4-tiered ramp for things like oil changes/exhaust work.

And a 2-tiered ramp for small things, like fitting a jack under my m3. #stanceproblems

Id attach pictures, but I don't think I have any. Google search "wood ramps for car"

edit, found a link. its from a mustang site. hopefully it doesn't crash.

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

Nice stealth Mustang dig :D

marcg611

Ready to race!
Stock I was able to reverse onto HF steel ramps but no go in the front. They made plastic extenders that are now discontinued so I'm looking at race ramps or similar. Are rhino ramps or scepter a no go? I'm only 1/2" lower on DG springs..

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk