GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quietest Downpipe

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
I'm looking at options that would preclude welding as I would ideally do the install myself. The most I'm currently willing to do is cut out the stock resonator and replace with Vibrant resonated midpipe section, kind of like what Jake offers with his line. Thanks for the option, though.

Rev 9 requires no welding, Bolt-on and go. Though my cutout requires as much welding as a res delete.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I'm looking at options that would preclude welding as I would ideally do the install myself. The most I'm currently willing to do is cut out the stock resonator and replace with Vibrant resonated midpipe section, kind of like what Jake offers with his line. Thanks for the option, though.

I was gonna install my resonator myself as well but Jake said that the stock piping is a little bigger than 2.5". The lap joint connector I bought barely fit over the 2.5" resonator piping, no way would it fit on anything "slightly" bigger so I went to a exhaust shop and they welded it for me.

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
Is welding involved in swapping resonators? Or can I pull out the stock one and replace with Vibrant by clamping it in? I don't remember what the exhaust conduit in that area looks like.

Normally yes, because the stock pipe is something like 2.63" you won't find any joints that will allow you to bolt up any of the resonators available.

My first Vibrant res is welded in my local shop....they are terrible and I wont go back. Jake makes the factory resonator delete with the Vibrant welded in place. So all you need to do is make one cut on your factory pipe and then insert his (bolt in).

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I had an eBay DP which I guess is the rev9? It was on my mk6, and was catless, but it was quiet at normal cruising and really only got louder when I got on the throttle. I later switched to the ultimate racing DP catless, and didn’t notice much of a change in tone, but the quality was much better, and I liked how the the mouth of it was opened up at the turbo so the air would flow more freely, especially since I had ported and polished my k04 to gasket match.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I wish someone would try the Techtonics Tuning downpipe. It has a 400 cell cat. That brand was the shit when we were all driving mk1's and 2's.

iirc, the 400 cell cat Techtonics uses is a ceramic cat, not a metallic cat. The single cat downpipe isn't guaranteed to prevent a CEL either.

Back to OP: How do you plan on passing smog with Stage 2?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
iirc, the 400 cell cat Techtonics uses is a ceramic cat, not a metallic cat. The single cat downpipe isn't guaranteed to prevent a CEL either.

APR has a non-test pipe file for my 1.8 IS38 tune, they may for others, too.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
APR has a non-test pipe file for my 1.8 IS38 tune, they may for others, too.

Non-test pipe file for passing emissions is a myth.

While they do have a file for it, it still messes with the emissions readiness, as even with a high flow cat, a stock emissions program will still think the cat is going bad, and trigger a CEL. So, to avoid the CEL, the emissions readiness for the cat, and oxygen sensors will be on "not ready" status.

You may not get a CEL, but you'll fail on emissions readiness monitors, which some states (namely non-CARB states) are more lax. CARB states, especially the state where CARB originates isn't as forgiving.

APR, for example, on the Stage 2 program details (which is tuned for their catted downpipe, and the GESI cat isn't CARB compliant either), states in the red box:
https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html
NOTICE: THIS MOTORSPORT/RACING PRODUCT IS NOT DESIGNED TO MEET ANY FEDERAL EMISSIONS STANDARDS IN THE USA AND IS NOT FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT C.A.R.B. COMPLIANT AND IS NOT FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA, USA. APR MAKES NO CLAIMS THIS PRODUCT COMPLIES WITH ANY EMISSION LAWS IN ANY JURISDICTION. IT IS ENTIRELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PURCHASER TO INFORM THEMSELVES OF ANY LAWS OR REGULATIONS WHICH MAY PROHIBIT USE OF THIS PRODUCT.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

My next smog should be in 4+ years. At that point I'll either get a new car, or put the stock dp back in for the inspection.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
My next smog should be in 4+ years. At that point I'll either get a new car, or put the stock dp back in for the inspection.

Too bad APR doesn't offer the EMCS option to switch programs easily on the MK7 ECU, then you can go with a oxygen sensor spacer to not get the CEL on the stock tune or stage 1, and pass smog.

The downpipe, if you go catless, you should be able to add a resonator to the downpipe, which may need to modify the catback. The unitronic downpipe puts the Magnaflow high-flow cat closer to the turbo, after the 90 degree bend, some after the flexpipe, there is real estate a resonator.

If you get a catted downpipe that has the cat after the hanger, then it's up to the catback to take care of the drone.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Milltek catted, and not the cheap catalytic one. They have 3 flavors of a catted DP. one is EU compliant, one below, and one race cat. the one in the middle is fairly quiet.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Too bad APR doesn't offer the EMCS option to switch programs easily on the MK7 ECU, then you can go with a oxygen sensor spacer to not get the CEL on the stock tune or stage 1, and pass smog.

The downpipe, if you go catless, you should be able to add a resonator to the downpipe, which may need to modify the catback. The unitronic downpipe puts the Magnaflow high-flow cat closer to the turbo, after the 90 degree bend, some after the flexpipe, there is real estate a resonator.

If you get a catted downpipe that has the cat after the hanger, then it's up to the catback to take care of the drone.
I'm just about set on a UR catted and resonated dp. Lots if favorable reviews, doesn't break the bank, and does what i need it to.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I'm just about set on a UR catted and resonated dp. Lots if favorable reviews, doesn't break the bank, and does what i need it to.

Just bought and installed the Ultimate Racing catted and resonated DP, love it. I had one on my mk6 and it was great on that as well. It is slightly louder than stock, and I mean slightly, no drone at all. If you turn off the Soundaktor, it's basically a stock sounding car. I got it on a Valentine's day discount, I think it was 10% off. They also do a Black Friday special, not sure if they do stuff throughout the year. I also actually think they put the resonator in the mid-pipe, but didn't even open the box, just drove it right to the shop for install