GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick Questions About the Space Saver Spare

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Will the subwoofer bolt up inside the wheel with the factory clamp, and will the floor cover fit back in properly?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks and thanks. I bought the spare this week after bending a wheel. Needed something to keep the car up and figured I might as well buy the spare. Next on my list is a used spare Cadiz. If I sell the car I'll make it into a wall clock.

ScozR

Ready to race!
Thanks and thanks. I bought the spare this week after bending a wheel. Needed something to keep the car up and figured I might as well buy the spare. Next on my list is a used spare Cadiz. If I sell the car I'll make it into a wall clock.

I forgot about the aft ROW trim piece: 5G6863459L82V. That trim piece on North American cars doesnt work well with the spare tire. You'll need to cut a curve out of it if you don't want to buy the ROW piece. If you don't want to trim it, you can get the ROW plastic trim for about 40 Euro on E-Acca, which is nice clean OEM solution.

This is an excellent post with everything you need to know about the spare tire kit: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/spare-tire.8102833/#post-98766769

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I forgot about the aft ROW trim piece: 5G6863459L82V. That trim piece on North American cars doesnt work well with the spare tire. You'll need to cut a curve out of it if you don't want to buy the ROW piece. If you don't want to trim it, you can get the ROW plastic trim for about 40 Euro on E-Acca, which is nice clean OEM solution.

This is an excellent post with everything you need to know about the spare tire kit: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/spare-tire.8102833/#post-98766769
Thanks. I'm going to see if my aftermarket scissors jack will fit next to the spare. If there's of room I'll wrap it in a towel so it doesn't move around. I'll do the same with my 24" breaker bar. I also bought a wheel hanger tool. Helped lining up the wheel after taking off the spare. The shop that straightened the wheel said it was badly bent in two directions.

ScozR

Ready to race!
Thanks. I'm going to see if my aftermarket scissors jack will fit next to the spare. If there's of room I'll wrap it in a towel so it doesn't move around. I'll do the same with my 24" breaker bar. I also bought a wheel hanger tool. Helped lining up the wheel after taking off the spare. The shop that straightened the wheel said it was badly bent in two directions.
The jack should fit no problem. I bought the foam organizer that fits the jack and everything else, so if you don't get the foam, there will be even more room.

What happened? Just pot hole damage?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
When I put a space-saver spare in my 2015 R, I just cut the stock Styrofoam surround to accommodate the tire. I also cut into it recesses for the electric scissor jack and a breaker bar with a deep well socket that I added as well. With a narrow serrated knife, Styrofoam is pretty easy to work with--especially if you mark off the areas to be cut with a sharpie marker first. As others have confirmed, the (Fender) subwoofer drops right into the tire/wheel.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
When I put a space-saver spare in my 2015 R, I just cut the stock Styrofoam surround to accommodate the tire. I also cut into it recesses for the electric scissor jack and a breaker bar with a deep well socket that I added as well. With a narrow serrated knife, Styrofoam is pretty easy to work with--especially if you mark off the areas to be cut with a sharpie marker first. As others have confirmed, the (Fender) subwoofer drops right into the tire/wheel.
Only early 15s had foam in there in the US.

Last edited: