GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poll: What year of MK 7–7.5 is your favorite, and why?

What year of Mk7–7.5 is your favorite?

Votes: 3 4.7%

Votes: 9 14.1%

Votes: 11 17.2%

Votes: 15 23.4%

Votes: 16 25.0%

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sport

• SE

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Rabbit Edition

• Autobahn

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
2015 folks, only year with the TDI... and the only Golf with a 6MT.

Not only did it have none of the later Mk7-7.5 cost saving omissions, it may have caused them just to spite the cars that would continue to be in production. It's the bully of the generation.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
2015 folks, only year with the TDI... and the only Golf with a 6MT.

Not only did it have none of the later Mk7-7.5 cost saving omissions, it may have caused them just to spite the cars that would continue to be in production. It's the bully of the generation.
Mine is a 6mt...

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I bought a 2018 but, had I not gotten one, would have gotten a 2019. I do not like the Mk8 at all (digital dash) and would have had to spend the cash on an Audi had I not gotten the VW.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Comparing any MK7 GTI. (non-modded)

1667572247043.png

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 because it’s the only year with the Sport model. All the sporty stuff at a great price. Also KESSY and the lighting package.
Totally agree with '17 Sport.

Wish I just ponied up at the time instead of just the S.

It wasn't cheap putting in the wavetrac.

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
When I was shopping for a used GTI back in April 2021 I found myself staring at the mk7.5 models (S, rabbit, and SE) for the unique colors and facelift look which I thought looked better. Ended up in a pure white 17’ Sport for $19k 32k miles which was nearly $4-6k less than the mk7.5 cars I was looking at, and so it wasn’t worth it to me just for the cool color and different headlights.

Jewels_mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Confession time:

I bought my Mk7 at the end of 2017. The facelifted MK 7.5 had just come out, and I absolutely hated it’s appearance.

Granted, I never got to check out the interior, but I thought the stock wheels looked atrocious, and I could endorse that front end.

Fast forward five years, and every time I watch a YouTube video by Jewel city, I cannot help but drool 🤤 over his squeaky-clean off-white 7.5, dropped 1 inch with lightweight Enkei 18s.

View attachment 264510

Some of the features that became available on the 2019‘s were especially tempting.

So I’m throwing this out there: what year 2015–2020 is your favorite, and why?

Also, here is a great article C&D did on the 2019.

They did get the transmission wrong however… It is a 7-speed DSG .
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-gti-2019
I enjoy my 2019 bc of the PP being standard and longer warranty. Before choosing the transmission someone recommended the 6 speed and coming from Hondas, 6 speeds were so fun and shifted like butter. I can't say the same for the VW manual but with a few tweaks it drives great now and gearing is great for the hwy.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Strange confessions: I have absolutely zero memory of creating this thread. Especially as recently as November. I suspect I was a bit drunk and gushed over Jewel's YouTube videos. Still...

1681502357574.png

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I bought my 17 SE in November of 17 knowing the 18 had double the warranty. They were offering $6500 off the 17. I'm biased but I think the 16-17 were the sweet spot, mib2, underseat drawer, cooled glove box, lined Cubby's. I'm sure I'd love the 18+ too but in 70,000 I've only done fluid changes, brakes, tires. It's honestly the best car I've had.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I do like the front bumper on the facelift cars...but not enough to wait the 8 months for the 2018's to become available. Picked up my 17 Sport in July 2017. It had a May 2017 production date.