1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 0FEF2D0E-F033-4CC7-85C5-5F9CC9A8E3B6.png
    0FEF2D0E-F033-4CC7-85C5-5F9CC9A8E3B6.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 44

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Looks like a bunch of sensor issues, wth is going on with your car? I recall you saying it drives normal, yet you have a code for no power steering?

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Looks like a bunch of sensor issues, wth is going on with your car? I recall you saying it drives normal, yet you have a code for no power steering?
I put in the title it doesn’t have power steering, besides for that the car drives fine. No adaptive headlights, parking aids going crazy, and obviously the Esc and tpms are from the faults

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I feel like the last time someone did this to their car on this forum, or to be fair I'm pretty sure it was autozone or some place like that that did it to their car, ended up frying their ECU. It might have been a mk6.

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
I feel like the last time someone did this to their car on this forum, or to be fair I'm pretty sure it was autozone or some place like that that did it to their car, ended up frying their ECU. It might have been a mk6.
I hope that’s not the case, I read that steering angle sensor can cause power steering loss

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Pretty sure I fried the power steering when I connected the battery wrong. Most likely taking it to a shop to be fixed. I’m sure the whole rack will need replacement plus wiring

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Pretty sure I fried the power steering when I connected the battery wrong. Most likely taking it to a shop to be fixed. I’m sure the whole rack will need replacement plus wiring
If you fried the AFS modules/drivers for the headlights and possible they abs/ecs module those are expensive as well.

car-part.com, lkq, and ebay may become your new favorite sites to getting your car back up, best of luck.

You when ignition on with the battery reversed, correct? I would budget for a new battery as well...if it still works, it's not long for this world....

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Don't these cars have a main fuse that should blow if the battery terminals are reversed?
Per the information currently in thread, only the wiper motor fuse blew...

The car seems to power on, with faults, per the thread. So... 🤷‍♂️ to your main fuse question...

https://fuse-box.info/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf-vii-mk7-2013-2020-fuses

If fuse 17 is good, you can only hope, since the rack allegedly is gone/dead, that the car not seeing function in the steering rack is causing the other systems to throw codes, and they are not bent as well....

I don't see anything that indicates a main fuse, but my information is probably incomplete. But, from staring at the fuse box info, and my own car.
It looks like just a bus bar into the main engine box, some systems draw directly from the battery...which my assumption is those are the ones that cooked...

headlight stuff is located in the in dash...so if 23,31, and 35 are good...again hoping for the poster....the car is faulting because it JUST took out the rack....or just took out one input the systems are looking for to show green...

Worst case speculation, he needs a handful of main car modules (rack, abs, AFS modules), and a possibility new wiring harnesses. I could also see the poster chasing some intermittent issues unfortunately the rest of the cars life.

Best case, it just one thing(the rack), and he got mostly, lucky.

Some of the systems can be tested individually using vagcom...to narrow things down...but the missing databus messages don't give me high hopes.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I hope that’s not the case, I read that steering angle sensor can cause power steering loss
If I remember right his car was basically bricked, so you're doing a lot better than he did so far.

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
If I remember right his car was basically bricked, so you're doing a lot better than he did so far.
Hopefully, it was only for maybe 3-4 seconds before I yanked it off, I knew something wasn’t right immediately
Per the information currently in thread, only the wiper motor fuse blew...

The car seems to power on, with faults, per the thread. So... 🤷‍♂️

If fuse 17 is good, you can only hope, since the rack allegedly is gone/dead, that the car not seeing function in the steering rack is causing the other systems to throw codes, and they are not bent as well....

I don't see anything that indicates a main fuse, but my information is probably incomplete. But, from staring at the fuse box info, and my own car.
It looks like just a bus bar into the main engine box, some systems draw directly from the battery...which my assumption is those are the ones that cooked...

headlight stuff is located in the in dash...so if 23,31, and 35 are good...again hoping for the poster....the car is faulting because it JUST took out the rack....or just took out one input the systems are looking for to show green...

Worst case speculation, he needs a handful of main car modules (rack, abs, AFS modules), and a possibility new wiring harnesses. I could also see the poster chasing some intermittent issues unfortunately the rest of the cars life.

Best case, it just one thing(the rack), and he got mostly, lucky.

Some of the systems can be tested individually using vagcom...to narrow things down...
I checked every single fuse on both boxes, power on every single one including ecu #17 and looking okay. Some are kind of burnt on the end of the prongs, but not blown. I’ll post some photos, does anyone know which one of these is power steering?

Attachments

• B778F2EE-0CD1-4824-B31B-77196B3546F1.jpeg
    B778F2EE-0CD1-4824-B31B-77196B3546F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 6815F0B5-37C3-4A36-8FBA-89D89FDA5696.jpeg
    6815F0B5-37C3-4A36-8FBA-89D89FDA5696.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 3053B732-8079-4994-A90C-3B2E25C1C919.jpeg
    3053B732-8079-4994-A90C-3B2E25C1C919.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Powe

I checked every single fuse on both boxes, power on every single one including ecu #17 and looking okay. Some are kind of burnt on the end of the prongs, but not blown. I’ll post some photos, does anyone know which one of these is power steering?
Not good...

2015, how many miles on this thing? Don't have any experience with insurance handling anything like this....you could possible be at the point of a loss. IMO, but let a good German Indy shop look at it, but I would start to emotionally and financially prepare, URANUS...

Don't see a fuse directly tied to steering rack in my info, so one could assume, it's direct off the battery, but someone with more info on the forum...feel free to call me on that assumption...

repost...fuse information is located here...

Last edited:

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
Not good...

2015, how many miles on this thing? Don't have any experience with insurance handling anything like this....you could possible be at the point of a loss. IMO, but let a good German Indy shop look at it, but I would start to emotionally and financially prepare, URANUS...

Don't see a fuse directly tied to steering rack in my info, so one could assume, it's direct off the battery, but someone with more info on the forum...feel free to call me on that assumption...

repost...fuse information is located here...
Just hit 157000. And that’s the plan. And I’ll take a look, thanks.

No power on this one, I believe it’s the power steering.

Attachments

• 4F9DD476-51CF-419A-8668-5B3DE6465084.jpeg
    4F9DD476-51CF-419A-8668-5B3DE6465084.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Just hit 157000. And that’s the plan. And I’ll take a look, thanks
OF course.... you could gut it down to the bare floor, get some donor parts, and make a track car... :ROFLMAO:.

Again, with anything I say, on this thread, is just me logically walking through the presented information....with my "amateur level" garage experience, picking up info along the way with owning, self maintaining, and modding two mk5s, mk6, and two mk7s in the last 15 years.

I would say if it's on the main bus bar, it's battery direct power...and probably let out the magic smoke....in the unfortunate reversion of the angry pixie storage container.

Engaging german sarcasm...

A fuz...unt...nut..required...cuz....it unt pizzible tu make sis miztak....

End german sarcasm....

But,

Just a NPC on the internet...glad you didn't end up as unforntuate as another forum member on here who car completely when up....recently.

Check all the relays in the box ? At this point...flinging poo...at the wall...checking for stick-tion.

Last edited:

Ryanw0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen gti
OF course.... you could gut it down to the bare floor, get some donor parts, and make a track car... :ROFLMAO:.

Again, with anything I say, on this thread, is just me logically walking through the presented information....with my "amateur level" garage experience, picking up info along the way with owning, self maintaining, and modding two mk5s, mk6, and two mk7s in the last 15 years.

I would say if it's on the main bus bar, it's battery direct power...and probably bent...

End german sarcasm....

But,

Just a NPC on the internet...

Check all the relays in the box ? At this point...flinging poo...at the wall...checking for stick-tion.

I would say if it's on the main bus bar, it's battery direct power...and probably let out the magic smoke....in the unfortunate reversion of the angry pixie storage container.

End german sarcasm....

But,

Just a NPC on the internet...glad you didn't end up as unforntuate as another forum member on here who car completely when up....recently.

I haven’t checked relays, I’m almost positive it’s this piece (photo) hoping you are correct. Thanks again for time and help, I’ll send an update tmrw after work. And unfortunately I’m new to these cars and just I installed new stainless steel clutch line, which is why the battery was out, new slotted rotors with ebc red pads, all new bolts for calipers and rotor, and new calipers in the rear plus mounts. And bled the system and clutch. Usually I’m a bit better but unfortunately after working all day and then doing all of that work on the car I was super tired and rushing to get it done as I had work the next day😂😂trust me, I don’t know how I made this mistake either