GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pinch weld damage

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Jacked up the car on a hockey puck to remove a wheel and later noticed I had damaged the pinch weld. How bad is the damage?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Well by the look of it you didn’t jack it up in the correct place. You are too far to the left. As for damage it’ll survive. As far as lifting n the future from there you will need to be careful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeme

looks like you missed the proper location for jacking.

the part that you bent is bent.

not too much to worry about, it will rust a little faster there.

if you like, take it to a body shop and they will tell you how much to fix properly. you then can compare that cost to a little ding no one will see.

and, by the way, I hate when that happens.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
If you had sheet metal pliers and some thin rubber, i.e. inner tube (to protect from further damage), you could probably straighten that out without too much effort.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
looks like you missed the proper location for jacking.

the part that you bent is bent.

not too much to worry about, it will rust a little faster there.

if you like, take it to a body shop and they will tell you how much to fix properly. you then can compare that cost to a little ding no one will see.

and, by the way, I hate when that happens.

Looks like a piece will need to be welded in.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Well by the look of it you didn’t jack it up in the correct place. You are too far to the left. As for damage it’ll survive. As far as lifting n the future from there you will need to be careful.

Just to be clear, “too far to the left” from what prospective, looking toward the front or looking toward the rear? Does the jack pad belong more inboard or outboard? Thanks

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Just to be clear, “too far to the left” from what prospective, looking toward the front or looking toward the rear? Does the jack pad belong more inboard or outboard? Thanks

The pinch weld is thicker. I have highlighted it in green. If you look under the car you can tell the punch weld as it has a nub on each end of it and it’s thicker than the rest.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I guess I went too far left because I put a jack stand to the far right, which also made somewhat of an indentation. Can anyone tell me where the proper place to jack from and place jack stands would be?

I came across this thread http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9208&postcount=13 but was always under the assumption that I could use the pinch weld for jack stands.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I guess I went too far left because I put a jack stand to the far right, which also made somewhat of an indentation. Can anyone tell me where the proper place to jack from and place jack stands would be?

I came across this thread http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9208&postcount=13 but was always under the assumption that I could use the pinch weld for jack stands.

Just look at the bottom of the trim, there's a triangle pointing to the correct spot. It looks to me it's not a pinch weld, it's a piece of high-strength, heat-treated, hardened steel.

Last edited:

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

You can use the pinch weld for jack stands but it’s not necessarily the sturdiest. It depends on the jack stand you are using.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
That brings up a good question. When putting the car up on jack stands the jack points are not wide enough to both jack and insert the jack stand. So where is a safe spot to jack the car up? When I did my oil change I jacked it up by the frame that it's under the center of the car below the engine

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
That brings up a good question. When putting the car up on jack stands the jack points are not wide enough to both jack and insert the jack stand. So where is a safe spot to jack the car up? When I did my oil change I jacked it up by the frame that it's under the center of the car below the engine

It may not work for people who are lowered (due to ground clearance), but one user has a jack which has a slot in it to allow for placement of a jack stand. Don't remember the brand unfortunately.