GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Phone mount and cable routing

ITG-FLOG

So I bought a magnetic phone mount from amazon, works great.

Could not deal with the cable dangling in front of the display so I routed it behind the trim.

Cable exits through a hole I drilled in the vent module.

I’m pretty happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Are there any other power source alternatives?
Im always listening to my music of a usb, therefore plugging the phone in will mean my usb stick will have to go.
I use the same magentic mount, but put it on the drivers side vent.
Will like to run a power cable into the mini cubby below the light switch, so that the power cable is not visible when not in use.
Any ideas?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Shouldn’t be too much harder to run the cable back to the 12v socket...

Great work on hiding the cabling. Looks really nice.

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I can't imagine not being able to use most of the front two vents during hot days. Also, heating air will heat up the phone unless you don't use the front vents for heating.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I put mine in front of my passenger middle air vent and just turned it off. They can suffer hehe. Also that way the cable doesn't block the screen.

ITG-FLOG

I can't imagine not being able to use most of the front two vents during hot days. Also, heating air will heat up the phone unless you don't use the front vents for heating.

The phone doesn’t obstruct the vents as much as the pic indicates. If it becomes an issue I move the phone to the vertical position. I’ll take this setup over any other phone mount solution I’ve seen. Bonus, now I can watch Netflix on the phone with the Audio coming through the car speakers. If I could figure out how to post a video on Tapatalk I’d put one up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

That’s why I stopped using this sort of mount... in my previous car, I almost fried my previous iPhone

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed

That can work, but looking more for a solution that is permanently wired and not visible at all.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You're not gonna cook the phone from the heat coming out of the vent. Convection is not nearly as efficient as conduction.

It gets warmer keeping it in your pocket.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I like the install, very clean and tucked away.

But I must say that is what I love about Android Auto. I plug the phone into the USB and set it in the cubby. Everything I need to do is on the HU screen and no more wondering where I have to hang my phone in order to use it.

Mugzy

Passed Driver's Ed

But I must say that is what I love about Android Auto. I plug the phone into the USB and set it in the cubby. Everything I need to do is on the HU screen and no more wondering where I have to hang my phone in order to use it.

I second this, it also keeps away the temptation to look at emails and other notifications that pop up while driving.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

I agree, but the touch limit makes it almost impossible to use for selecting and playing music.. Yes I know about the voice feature but that will not work with 3rd party music players - I use Rocket Player..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion