GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Package?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Wouldn't want it anyway...

Pay more for heavier single piston sliding fist brakes & an expensive to repair electro/hydraulic clutch pack to lock the driveshafts, & which the dealers can't remember to service properly...no thanks...

I'd prefer a base GTI, fit a Wavetrack & the lightweight 4pot Audi TT-S brakes...car will be lighter & have slightly better power to weight & slightly better handling (& thats before you discuss the advantage of the proper LSD) than the PP, as you will have removed more unsprung weight by fitting the Audi aluminium calipers.
Seems like a lot of work and expense instead of having a PP car. Your justifications will also be negligible to a majority of drivers.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
OEM, is cool at stock power… but with bigger turbo and hybrid power it quickly becomes notably ineffective and actually feeling the programming in the E. diff getting confused on how to behave with the extra power it’s fed and trying to control.

That’s based on first hand experience, in lieu of just typing words to justify not spending the money and time on getting a real mech diff.
I can respect your opinion and though I haven't tracked my car I can feel the diff pulling me through corners at hybrid power levels. I am certainly not claiming to be a professional driver however the system works rather we'll at my power levels, just need to deactivate all the traction control nannies for more fun.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I can respect your opinion and though I haven't tracked my car I can feel the diff pulling me through corners at hybrid power levels. I am certainly not claiming to be a professional driver however the system works rather we'll at my power levels, just need to deactivate all the traction control nannies for more fun.
Completely agree.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie

Pay more for heavier single piston sliding fist brakes & an expensive to repair electro/hydraulic clutch pack to lock the driveshafts, & which the dealers can't remember to service properly...no thanks...

I'd prefer a base GTI, fit a Wavetrack & the lightweight 4pot Audi TT-S brakes...car will be lighter & have slightly better power to weight & slightly better handling (& thats before you discuss the advantage of the proper LSD) than the PP, as you will have removed more unsprung weight by fitting the Audi aluminium calipers.
Good for you. I have a 2017 Sport and the VAG system works great on the street. You can power through tight corners and apply as much power as the tires will allow. Almost completely removes under steer in a car with 60% of the weight over those tires. As far as the brakes, they work flawlessly on the road. By the way my car has 115,000 miles on the original pads and the diff has been 100% reliable. Your points about cost to service are moot.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Good for you. I have a 2017 Sport and the VAG system works great on the street. You can power through tight corners and apply as much power as the tires will allow. Almost completely removes under steer in a car with 60% of the weight over those tires. As far as the brakes, they work flawlessly on the road. By the way my car has 115,000 miles on the original pads and the diff has been 100% reliable. Your points about cost to service are moot.
He's Golfdave, not GTIdave. If he was GTIdave he would probably want PP.

mississippi_mk7.5

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI

If you do all the work yourself…price is a wash. For most of us that can’t DIY that crap your talking twice as much, about 5-6k. And the brakes save you like 8lbs. A stock PP still has a better power/weight.

Look I get it. Those brakes and LSD perform better (on paper). 90% of drivers wouldn’t tell the difference. Stock is warranty covered and faster

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I hate sunroofs, so 17 Sport, 19 Rabbit Edition, 15 to 21 S were all I would consider.

I bought an 18 S and 19 Rabbit. I like the Rabbit better, I like the white silver color of the S better.

Last edited:

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Parts & labor for Wavetrac diff, diff hardware, SRE clutch kit, seals, gear oil, etc., came out to $3300 when I had mine done. YMMV.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Napoleon complex, man rolls around in a 1.4.

The fact that I roll in a 1.4lt proves I don't have "Napoleon complex"....... ;)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Like the pp, hate the pp, whatever. We accept all lifestyles here 🫶

I just like people to see past the marketing BS...thats all...as I hate marketing BS.....

Many will like the PP for the "extra" it gives their car, & without having to do any DIY & end up voiding the warranty,...

Others will hate it....

The VW marketing thats worse IMHO than the above PP is the "MK7 Golf "Clubsport" that we get.....basically a GTI PP with the "R" engine, Audi alu subframe & bigger rear spoiler.

Nothing about it says "Clubsport" to me (Clubsport should be lightweight & "track" setup), unless you spec it in the CCS rear seat delete, aircon delete, wingbacks, spec...but even then you need to ditch the VAQ & heavy single piston brakes & fit a Wavetrak & the Audi TT-S brakes...& also replace the two piece discs as VW made them cheap & used the same blank for both sides so the internal vanes on one rotate the wrong way...& then fit a much lighter lithium battery as they just fit a normal battery, just in the smallest standard size for the tray...

Seat Cupra Ibiza's etc made 20yrs ago were more "track" spec..let alone the "RS" cars by Renault...or the old Ford Focus RS.....

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch