GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Package?

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
VW ERWIN, official workshop books....

Note that its states:- "It is powered by the output shaft of the gearbox via the differential"...i.e. the existing "open" type differential in the gearbox....

The way it works is to "lock" the front drives shafts & the existing open diff all together/up.....its a front axle/diff lock...& yes there are existing devices in 4x4 called "diff locks"...those purpose is to lock the axle up so that both wheels spin at the same speed especially when one is in the air.....& that is what the FXD/VAQ unit does....to stop the inside unloaded wheel from spinning by locking the the front axle & diff up by varying amounts/percentages...upto 100% lock....to drive the loaded outside wheel..(in simple terms)
Yet they call it an eLSD...

Sorry but you are not thinking about this logically. You are defining a differential by "how" it does something rather than "what it does".

A limited slip differential is a solution to a specific problem: Keeping proper rotation of the wheels during a turn to maintain proper traction. Your definition "assumes" incorrectly that there is only one proper solution when there could be multiple effective solutions. A traditional mechanical LSD is only one solution to that problem and it is wrong to assume there are no other solutions that could be included as an LSD. The VW solution is an electronically controlled LSD that was designed to solve the exact same problem as the traditional LSD.

Some have argued that a traditional LSD is a better solution for higher performing cars with bigger turbos. That is only partially correct. Because the eLSD is electronically controlled it is in effect "tuned" to OEM specifications. This means the eLSD in theory could be tuned to perform as effectively as a traditional LSD for higher performing cars.

If it looks like a duck, and waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck than it is a duck. If it does the same thing as a LSD and solves the same problems as a LSD than it is a LSD...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yet they call it an eLSD...

Sorry but you are not thinking about this logically. You are defining a differential by "how" it does something rather than "what it does".

A limited slip differential is a solution to a specific problem: Keeping proper rotation of the wheels during a turn to maintain proper traction. Your definition "assumes" incorrectly that there is only one proper solution when there could be multiple effective solutions. A traditional mechanical LSD is only one solution to that problem and it is wrong to assume there are no other solutions that could be included as an LSD. The VW solution is an electronically controlled LSD that was designed to solve the exact same problem as the traditional LSD.

Some have argued that a traditional LSD is a better solution for higher performing cars with bigger turbos. That is only partially correct. Because the eLSD is electronically controlled it is in effect "tuned" to OEM specifications. This means the eLSD in theory could be tuned to perform as effectively as a traditional LSD for higher performing cars.

If it looks like a duck, and waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck than it is a duck. If it does the same thing as a LSD and solves the same problems as a LSD than it is a LSD...

Funny that you can still remove the open diff on the GTI-PP & fit an LSD...yet you're claiming the GTI-PP already has an LSD??..... :unsure:

..therefore fitting two LSDs on a 2WD car??....:unsure:.......:ROFLMAO:..

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I just like people to see past the marketing BS...thats all...as I hate marketing BS.....

Many will like the PP for the "extra" it gives their car, & without having to do any DIY & end up voiding the warranty,...

Others will hate it....

The VW marketing thats worse IMHO than the above PP is the "MK7 Golf "Clubsport" that we get.....basically a GTI PP with the "R" engine, Audi alu subframe & bigger rear spoiler.

Nothing about it says "Clubsport" to me (Clubsport should be lightweight & "track" setup), unless you spec it in the CCS rear seat delete, aircon delete, wingbacks, spec...but even then you need to ditch the VAQ & heavy single piston brakes & fit a Wavetrak & the Audi TT-S brakes...& also replace the two piece discs as VW made them cheap & used the same blank for both sides so the internal vanes on one rotate the wrong way...& then fit a much lighter lithium battery as they just fit a normal battery, just in the smallest standard size for the tray...

Seat Cupra Ibiza's etc made 20yrs ago were more "track" spec..let alone the "RS" cars by Renault...or the old Ford Focus RS.....
Why would anyone hate the PP unless you want to spend $3K or more to mod your car? A GTI is so much better with the PP than without.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
did they remove the pp for mk8 in 2022 or do all new gtis essentially have the equivalent of a performance package now? like, is it still an "option" or did they do away with that in 2021

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I wonder how they will send the mk8 out with a bang in the last couple years by giving it every option, many of which probably aren't introduced yet. like I wonder what the final mk8 will look like. its already been confirmed that they're giving all 2023 models led headlights, id be pissed if I was a 2022 buyer but I would have wanted pomelo yellow anyway

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
Early adopters almost always get burned by these kind of things.

Aside: Has anyone seen how bad the shift knob is in the mk8 manual? It's like the cheapest plastic I've ever seen.
oh thats another thing they made MUCH nicer for 2023, all the interior plastic is piano black how it should be and not matte. its a little thing but to me would make a big difference.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I can't fully remember all the trims and specs since it's been a while, but at the time I don't think I could find a Performance Pack that was an S (absolutely didn't want a sunroof after my annoying MKV one). Might have just been a local issue and that setup just wasn't commonly available. Either way, I've been happy with my peasant spec 2015 haha.

Edit: We did just pick up a 2022 Honda CR-V for my wife though, and all the tech makes me jealous haha. My only regret was not waiting out a 2016 with MIB2.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I wonder how they will send the mk8 out with a bang in the last couple years by giving it every option, many of which probably aren't introduced yet. like I wonder what the final mk8 will look like. its already been confirmed that they're giving all 2023 models led headlights, id be pissed if I was a 2022 buyer but I would have wanted pomelo yellow anyway
If rumors of there not being a Mk9 are true, the Mk8 send off should be a big deal. I didn't initially plan on getting a Mk8, but the opportunity to get a Mk8 R with a manual proved to be too strong. I'm still waiting, but hopefully I get one before they kill it off, which wouldn't surprise me if they did in 24 or 25 when they move to the Mk8.5.