GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Perfectly balancing the GTI into a Grand Tourer

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I've always enjoyed Grand Tourers -- cars that balance sportiness with luxury and comfort. To me, this concept is the pinnacle of a daily driver. Whether you're an aging millennial like myself, a full-on old fart, or shuttling a family around during the week while giving it the beans on the weekend, balance can be a nice and necessary thing. Stock, the GTI has most of the GT qualities (it's in the name, durrrr). It is pretty comfortable, pretty nice, pretty sporty, and pretty practical -- a well-balanced car -- but it leaves some room for improvement in these categories.

So, I am on a quest to build my GTI (daily + autocross 1-2x/month) into a Grand Tourer. We seem to be missing much discussion on this particular type of build. The below info are things I've done to my GTI, have researched and am planning to do (thanks to all the folks I've bothered with questions), or have done on other cars. If you're interested in optimizing your GTI as a Ground Tourer, this discussion is for you.

#1 Rule: You're building this car for yourself and for balance. Ditch the mindset of trying to impress other people or fit into a narrow niche, as that will likely lead you down the wrong path. Grand Touring is all about balance and minimizing tradeoffs -- not going so far in one direction that you lose another important quality (i.e. optimizing so much for handling that you sacrifice comfort). This will probably annoy people who say "you need to do x, x, x, and x to be the best at y" -- but that's OK because that's not the spirit of what we're doing here.

Suspension
This is a major component of a good GT car and it is subjective because we all have different tolerances. I think this is an easy one because I like the stock ride height.
  1. Fat rear sway bar to make the handling slightly flatter, more lively, and allow some oversteer on the weekend without hurting ride quality. Easy and inexpensive upgrade.
  2. Rear hatch brace to help tighten up some of the body flex, again without hurting ride quality. There are a few options that still allow you to close up your rear seats. Another easy and inexpensive upgrade.
  3. Ride quality-wise, you want control and composure without harshness. You shouldn't be jarred by normal impacts and road irregularities, but you don't want to lose sporty handling because that's why we bought the GTI.
    • You may like the stock suspension. Great! I find it a bit uncontrolled and harsh with room for improvement
    • One option to help with that: Koni Special Active dampers to iron out the rough stuff and reduce harshness, while creating slightly firmer and flatter handling. (These dampers are meant for stock springs only.)
    • If you have DCC, you may already have that GT balance.
    • Or you may be happy with sportier dampers but remember rule #1. Again, it's about balance so don't take it too far.
    • Tires can have a lot to do with this. It can be tough to find a tire that will hold up to weekend shenanigans while also being tame and composed on the street.
    • This will be a good place to add setups from others users they have found to be balanced in GT spirit.
  4. Low-NVH camber mounts for a bit more negative camber up front. Gets you more responsive handling and turn-in. This is optional, depending on what you do with your car on the weekend.
  5. Sort out any creaks and clunks with fresh bushings and hardware. Nothing ruins the enjoyment of a good ride like a janky-sounding suspension.
  6. I can't provide recommendations on how to achieve a balanced suspension if you lower the car. In my experience, a lowered suspension will always ride harsher and firmer than stock. But it may still strike a balance you're happy with.
Wheels/Tires
I waver back and forth on this one...
  1. Downsizing to 17" wheels with 235/45-17 tires would provide enough sidewall to clean up the ride a bit, and you can still put a performance tire on there that won't totally roll over when it's pushed. And if you add the sidewall cushioning, you may not need special dampers to reduce harshness and could instead go with something like the Bilstein B6 or even Koni Sports.
  2. However, it's hard to beat the responsiveness of the stock 18" setup with 225/40 or 235/40 tires.
  3. As far as which tires, this is going to depend on your driving style and climate. Michelin PS4S are often the top recommended tire for a reason, and they come on a lot of the great high-end GT cars for a reason. But they're not your only option. Make heavy use of Tire Rack's tests and reviews to find tires that perform well on both the track and street. Take special note of how TR characterizes impacts, road noise, and responsiveness.
Brakes
Stock brakes are OK, more so if you have the Performance Pack. But if you're going to be pushing the car, pads that can better handle the heat is a good idea. A good GT car has "plenty of brakes" so ideally, you never want to feel like you've over-taxed your brakes or caused them to start shaking due to pad deposits on the rotors. There are plenty of middle-ground brakes that are street friendly and quiet, while using compounds that hold up to heavy usage better. And no, you almost surely don't need cross-drilled or slotted rotors for this kind of a build.

Interior/Convenience
Stock interior comfort and convenience is pretty good, but a handful of relatively easy things can elevate it:
  1. Spacers under the front seat bolts to increase the seat rake. This creates much better thigh support and comfort for a 6'1" human with long legs like me.
  2. Some extra foam in the lumbar area. The stock manual seats don't have much lumbar support IMO, even at the max setting. OK for short drives, but I tend to need a little more support on long drives.
  3. I'm an MIB1 peasant, so a MIB2 retrofit to get Apple Carplay/Android Auto some day would be a nice upgrade, but not cheap. This is one of those "I want it but can't justify the money for it" things.
  4. Spend some time hunting down creaks and rattles. Arm yourself with adhesive felt, Tesa tape, and memory foam, then get someone else to drive the car while you crawl around the cabin. Adhesive felt is used the most to cushion and tighten, Tesa tape is for small parts and tight clearances, and the memory foam can be shoved behind panels that are slightly loose or have rattling clips (don't block any airbags).
  5. Depending on your tires, you might benefit from some additional sound deadening. It gets expensive quickly, but can make a big difference if you're willing to pull seats, carpet, and panels out to do it properly.
  6. Audio upgrades are worth considering, but it's totally subjective. Don't buy audio equipment just because someone says you should -- what sounds good to your ears is 100% your call. I think the stock base tweeters are extremely harsh, so I plan to swap them out.
  7. Tint those windows. A high quality ceramic tint will do wonders for keeping heat out on hot days.
  8. Consider other little enhancements that make life easier like a wireless charging pad, toll road transponder, line your door pockets and glove box with felt (if you have a 7.5 that came without that), an organizer in the trunk, etc.
  9. Rear wiper.
Exterior
Whatever you like! Personally, I think a good GT car is classy with smooth lines and our Golfs have a lovely understated sportiness. Lots of aero and tarty mods ruin the look.

Engine/Transmission/Exhaust
  1. A good ECU and TCU tune (if you're DSG) is nice. Having the extra power and an enjoyable transmission really aids day-to-day life in the car. But I don't think it's necessary with these cars. If you're manual, think about what that means for your clutch and carefully consider your clutch options and modifications to favor smoothness when you can.
  2. An upgraded intercooler is nice on this platform if you like power consistency.
  3. Stock-ish exhaust, or something high quality with minimal drone. Being able to have a quiet, comfortable cruise is an important part of a Grand Tourer. Any drone will make long trips tiring and annoying.

wHy DoN'T yOu JuSt BuY aN aUdi?
Because hatchback.

Alright, that's all I got. Feel free to add any suggestions, links, etc. that you think are valuable to this type of build.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I saw this thread this morning and I’ve been chewing on it for a bit.

Well thought out; great post. Your last statement/ question about why not get an Audi? Our Allroad immediately came to mind as it’s a cruiser (touring car). Not a great GT car but much better than my Golf r and the go-to for trips longer than 50 miles or casual family trips with my wife and pups. Quieter cabin, smooth suspension, and a bit better quality overall (even the headlights). It gets ~10 mpg better than my Golf, though a GTI would do better than the Allroad from what I’ve read. The Allroad is not for fun and I don’t drive it hard. I don’t want to break it and I have the r to flog whenever I want to get my heart going. I wonder how I’d feel driving them back to back in stock form? The Allroad can’t do what the Golf can, especially on track. Every time I drive the Allroad, however, I‘m left feeling that it’s a better car.

Looking forward to hearing your progress and hope you achieve your goal on this. Have you considered any other cars in your quest for a GT car that you can also autocross? I don’t think you’re looking for a comparison so my apologies for the unsolicited nudge towards what I think is a much better GT car with very little effort/ money.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Looking forward to hearing your progress and hope you achieve your goal on this. Have you considered any other cars in your quest for a GT car that you can also autocross? I don’t think you’re looking for a comparison so my apologies for the unsolicited nudge towards what I think is a much better GT car with very little effort/ money.
Before my GTI I had a 2017 Mazda 3, fully loaded. It was a nice car. It handled great, very lively, ride was nice, interior and features were top notch. Manual transmission was... decent. But it was too slow and wasn't exciting enough for me. I thought about a newer Mazda 3 turbo, but the latest generation lost its connection to the road. The 3rd gen I had was the perfect marriage of the old Zoom-Zoom Mazda and the new Up-Market Mazda. A Cayman 981 would be a helluva Grand Tourer but you lose some practicality...

Interesting statement on the Allroad:
Our Allroad immediately came to mind as it’s a cruiser (touring car). Not a great GT car but much better than my Golf r and the go-to for trips longer than 50 miles or casual family trips with my wife and pups. Quieter cabin, smooth suspension, and a bit better quality overall (even the headlights). It gets ~10 mpg better than my Golf, though a GTI would do better than the Allroad from what I’ve read. The Allroad is not for fun and I don’t drive it hard. I don’t want to break it and I have the r to flog whenever I want to get my heart going. I wonder how I’d feel driving them back to back in stock form? The Allroad can’t do what the Golf can, especially on track. Every time I drive the Allroad, however, I‘m left feeling that it’s a better car.
It's all about balance, but where on that balance beam you want to lean, right? An Allroad leans a little more toward comfort and away from sportiness, where the GTI leans more toward sportiness. Considering how I felt about my Mazda 3, the sportiness needs to be there. I absolutely love how hard I can push the GTI and the ridiculous performance with a stage 1 tune. That being said, I didn't consider an Allroad when I was shopping for my GTI.

And to be clear: I don't think the GTI in its stock form is unpleasant or bad. You can hop right in an IMO it's a decent GT car. This project is all about optimizing and improving on what I think is already a great platform.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Yeah I agree with the statement regarding balance. I wish we had the RS3 wagon here. That would be such a great option.

I think you’ll be able to get what you want in the GTI and will hopefully be happy with it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mine is THE GT....🤷‍♂️......

Now its sorted........but to make it better it'll eventually get Superpro or Powerflex bushes & Koni FSD dampers (now called Active?)

My previous VAG car was fully poly bushed, OEM springs, Koni FSD dampers, & various other mods..ran a thicker front ARB....handled very well for back roads & potholes...

Having MIBI...yes a newer unit/bigger screen would be nice, .. unfortunately I have Dynaudio..so that means various component protection stuff needs to be sorted...

I run the same size alloys/tyres as the car from factory...225/45R17...just I dropped 2kg per corner!!....nice TD Pro Race alloys!

TBH I think my build & how to guides are also a good place to start in terms of making it more comfortable & "GT"...just wish that somebody did a rear brace for my car...& NO the Racingline one doesn't fit...been there done that..& even Racingline state its only for all hatches & "AWD only" estates & not the 2WD estates, due to slightly different internal boot trim...

P.S. my car with factory "sports suspension" & rear multi-link, factory fitted with the 24mm diameter with 3.8mm wall thickness front ARB...& 18.5mm diameter with 2.5mm wall thickness rear ARB.....basicaly stiff front ARB, soft rear ARB....allows the rear "toe in" to work & rear steer the car, so it pivots around corners!

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Mine is THE GT....🤷‍♂️......

Now its sorted........but to make it better it'll eventually get Superpro or Powerflex bushes & Koni FSD dampers (now called Active?)

My previous VAG car was fully poly bushed, OEM springs, Koni FSD dampers, & various other mods..ran a thicker front ARB....handled very well for back roads & potholes...

Having MIBI...yes a newer unit/bigger screen would be nice, ..unfortunatly I have Dynaudio..so that means various component protection stuff needs to be sorted...

I run the same size alloys/tyres as the car from factory...225/45R17...just I dropped 2kg per corner!!....nice TD Pro Race alloys!

TBH I think my build & how to guides are also a good place to start in terms of making it more comfortable & "GT"...just wish that somebody did a rear brace for my car...& NO the Racingline one doesn't fit...been there done that..& even Racingline state its only for all hatches & "AWD only" estates & not the 2WD estates, due to slightly different internal boot trim...

P.S. my car with factory "sports suspension" & rear multi-link, factorty fitted with the 24mm diameter with 3.8mm wall thickness front ARB...& 18.5mm diameter with 2.5mm wall thickness rear ARB.....basicaly stiff front ARB, soft rear ARB....allows the rear "toe in" to work & rear steer the car, so it pivots around corners!
I'm glad you responded here. Your how-tos and build details are full of great info toward this goal 👍

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
A good "tourer" would also depend on the quality of the road. If you're on choppy roads...your ride will suck no matter what. The only long drives I've done in my GTI is to Vegas which is 600 miles round trip. The 15 is pretty smooth the entire way. The Bilstein B14 rode pretty darn good. I did have to make a detour through Adelanto on the way back. The roads were so bad...even with stock suspension...the drive would suck.

I had a E90 3 series back in the day. It had the sport and luxury package. I did a number of hours long drives in that. I would consider that a pretty good tourer. It was completely stock.

I want to add this. I think the GTI in stock form is a pretty comfortable car to drive long distances. Coming from a Mk6 wagon...I was kind of surprised at how much firmer the GTI felt stock. I lasted exactly 880 miles before lowering it. The stock power is more than enough for merging and passing on the highway.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
A good "tourer" would also depend on the quality of the road. If you're on choppy roads...your ride will suck no matter what. The only long drives I've done in my GTI is to Vegas which is 600 miles round trip. The 15 is pretty smooth the entire way. The Bilstein B14 rode pretty darn good. I did have to make a detour through Adelanto on the way back. The roads were so bad...even with stock suspension...the drive would suck.
Well, any suspension will ride well on smooth roads. And yes, even a good setup will be bumpy on a truly bad roads. But there's a whole spectrum of bumpiness as well as the character of the bumps. You might have a smooth road with some sharp transitions between sections, for example. Whether those bumps knock your fillings out is one measure LOL. I would argue the stock GTI suspension isn't that great on rough roads. The rear feels especially underdamped, and I can feel a lot of jitter over sharp impacts (I'm sure part of that is my tires, and part of that is aging suspension). A good tourer should soak up the bumps better than the alternative. A rough road in a Civic is way different than a rough road in a Lexus GS.
I had a E90 3 series back in the day. It had the sport and luxury package. I did a number of hours long drives in that. I would consider that a pretty good tourer. It was completely stock.
No doubt.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Well, any suspension will ride well on smooth roads. And yes, even a good setup will be bumpy on a truly bad roads. But there's a whole spectrum of bumpiness as well as the character of the bumps. You might have a smooth road with some sharp transitions between sections, for example. Whether those bumps knock your fillings out is one measure LOL. I would argue the stock GTI suspension isn't that great on rough roads. The rear feels especially underdamped, and I can feel a lot of jitter over sharp impacts (I'm sure part of that is my tires, and part of that is aging suspension). A good tourer should soak up the bumps better than the alternative. A rough road in a Civic is way different than a rough road in a Lexus GS.

No doubt.

That detour I took through Adelanto did feel like I was inside a punching bag. 😵‍💫

The 15 freeway to and from Vegas is really smooth. You can do triple digits and not give it much though. What I do like about the B14 is how they take hard hits. Its not a jarring hit.

I'm pretty fortunate that the roads in my area are pretty smooth. If my roads were super bumpy...I probably wouldn't even have lowered the car. I see people asking for suggestions on smaller wheels and bigger tires in Mk7 FB groups all the time.

My GF has a 2016 Mini Cooper S. To my surprise...that car actually feels pretty good on longer drives...as long as the roads are fairly smooth😆. The sport seats are pretty comfortable. It even has the extendable thigh support. It also has a 2.0 turbo. I added the Neuspeed Power module to give it a bit more kick. You can definitely feel the BMW trickle down in that car. What kills the "comfort" of that car is the suspension. Its pretty harsh...but if you put come soft squishy suspension combo in there...then it'll loose that nimble feeling.

Thats why car companies put ride select features like DCC into cars. It hard to balance a comfortable ride and "sporty" handling into a standard strut/spring combo.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
What I do like about the B14 is how they take hard hits. Its not a jarring hit.
Great info. What made you choose those over the adjustable B16's?
My GF has a 2016 Mini Cooper S. ... What kills the "comfort" of that car is the suspension. Its pretty harsh...
The Koni Special Actives are actually a pretty popular upgrade on that car for this reason. Smooths out the harshness without getting rid of the sportiness.
Thats why car companies put ride select features like DCC into cars. It hard to balance a comfortable ride and "sporty" handling into a standard strut/spring combo.
Indeed.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Great info. What made you choose those over the adjustable B16's?

#1 reason is that they were cheaper. #2 It really didn't feel all that different on the softer setting. I wasn't going to use the firmer settings. Friend of mine has the B16 on his wagon.

The standard valving on the B14 feel pretty good for street and spirited driving. If you're looking for even more "street-able"...the Evo S...I think has softer springs in the front. and some different valving.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
wHy DoN'T yOu JuSt BuY aN aUdi?
Because hatchback.

Funny I missed this thread... this is exactly what I do to almost all my cars. Already done the swaybar, have Koni yellows with H&R OE springs to be installed with EuroSport pucks, waiting on the cheapo deadset kit to arrive to do all at once.

The quote is exactly what I wish Audi did. I would even go for a GTI sportswagen, since Audi killed the 3 and 4 wagons other than the hideous and underpowered Allroad. I would trade the GTI for an S3 wagon in a second.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
I just switched to 17s after being dissatisfied with the stock ride, and they made such a difference that I'm no longer considering Konis. Cheaper too because I needed new tires anyway and can sell my 18s. Next comfort mod is a tint so the Mrs. doesn't have to get toasted on any eastbound roadtrip... anyone know a good film for max heat rejection at moderate visible light tint levels?

The harmonic damper retrofit might also serve the concept outlined here.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I just switched to 17s after being dissatisfied with the stock ride, and they made such a difference that I'm no longer considering Konis. Cheaper too because I needed new tires anyway and can sell my 18s. Next comfort mod is a tint so the Mrs. doesn't have to get toasted on any eastbound roadtrip...

The harmonic damper retrofit might also serve the concept outlined here.
Glad to hear the 17's worked well for you. I have done the harmonic damper and it was beneficial at low speeds.