GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Option boxes you're glad you ticked?

Anayat

Ready to race!
Thought it would be nice to know some options people are really happy about ticking. I suppose it might help some prospective buyers out.

For me, I'm glad I got the Satnav, and debadging options for engine and model badges on the boot lid.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thought it would be nice to know some options people are really happy about ticking. I suppose it might help some prospective buyers out.

For me, I'm glad I got the Satnav, and debadging options for engine and model badges on the boot lid.

I'm glad I selected all the options I did, some others would deem as expensive, and when mirrorlink arrives the satnav will seem very very expensive.

Anayat

Ready to race!
I'm glad I selected all the options I did, some others would deem as expensive, and when mirrorlink arrives the satnav will seem very very expensive.

Can MirrorLink be retrofitted? My sister has just got her new polo with MirrorLink on the composite system and I'm very jealous. If so, when can we expect it? And will if be available on Discover Nav or just on the Discover Pro

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Can MirrorLink be retrofitted? My sister has just got her new polo with MirrorLink on the composite system and I'm very jealous. If so, when can we expect it? And will if be available on Discover Nav or just on the Discover Pro

We can only wait and see. Like you I'm hoping so, I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons MDI seems to be being removed and replaced with USB.

Anayat

Ready to race!
We can only wait and see. Like you I'm hoping so, I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons MDI seems to be being removed and replaced with USB.

I'm sure we'll get the same crap as per usual with VW, saying MirrorLink will only work via USB, and that's MDI is hardwired to the media system and therefore cannot be upgraded to USB or whatever else they want to say. Or if they do allow a retrofit I assume they'll charge us near £300 when it's only £150 factory fit

pjr

Ready to race!
Didn't go too mad with options, only Discovery Nav & Winter Pack - haven't had much use of the winter pack yet, but will do in a few months. Love the inbuilt satnav and use it quite a lot.

TeeDeeEye

Passed Driver's Ed
Climate Control and Keyless. Both work seamlessly and get used every time I'm in the car. Can't ask for more really.

TerryReis

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm afraid I ticked most of them, except the sunroof imo doesn't suit the car (may depend on colour) and the park assist, cause if I need one of those to parallel park a Golf that already has sensors and a camera I will give up driving.

Currently using a Nissan Navarra daily until my GTi arrives. Looking forward to parking something that doesn't need a space the size of Cornwall and has better steering lock than the Ark Royal. I guess there may be other things I will enjoy about the car too :)

o-iii1

Ready to race!
In North America we have option envy. In Canada we can't even get PDC or DCC, both of which can be added in the US!

BleezyD

Ready to race!
I'm really glad I got the Autobahn w/ lighting package. I love the lumbar support with the power seats and the lights inside and outside are awesome. Very much worth the extra $995 over the life of the car.

Anayat

Ready to race!
I'm really glad I got the Autobahn w/ lighting package. I love the lumbar support with the power seats and the lights inside and outside are awesome. Very much worth the extra $995 over the life of the car.

Are the electric seats in the US standard fit with leather? In the UK they are a £2245 option ($3780 roughly the cost of the Golf in the US? Haha)

I ask, because I was in the states last year and every car I had on hire 14+ had electric seats, from a Toyota Auris to a Mazda 3, when I asked one of the hire companies why, they said "most Americans think manual seats are prehistoric, and some just think it's exerting too much energy to manually adjust seats" so I assume it's a cheap option or standard fit.

Gnasher

Ready to race!
Options I ticked (and am massively happy with) aere...

Performance pack - well worth it for the diff, the pull out of corners is amazing and I've yet to have the inside wheel feel like it's got no grip.
Leather - expensive but I really don't like the check cloth, however does get very hot out here in Cyprus.
Rear view camera - Great for not having a blind spot right behind you, although not a replacement for actually looking over your shoulder.
Park assist - not for the actual park assist, but for the extra parking sensors that (I think with some computer trickery) give you 360degree parking sensors.
Keyless - a boon, especially if you've got your hands full. I never need to take the key out of my pocket.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Keyless is great and you get the stop/start button thrown in for free.

What happens when you stall a car with a normal ignition key? Do you need to turn the key again to relight the fire? With keyless it restarts automatically. Before any smarty pants comments about not letting the car stall in the first place I'm fairly certain that anybody who is/was new to the autohold feature on the MK7 will have stalled at some point.

No had the opportunity to use heated seats yet but im sure they'll be worth the extra.

James75

Go Kart Champion

I agree to an extent - but mirrorlink will be dependent on your phone receiving signal.

Here in Devon - that will be tricky in a lot of places, it's not quite as clear cut, there's still a value in having GPS Sat Nav. If i was ordering a Polo now - I'd still tick Sat Nav as well as Mirrorlink.

James