GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temp 235

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Noticed that after installing the hood insulation pad, my oil temperature has gone up about 8-10 degrees on average.
Oil temp hit 228 today and it was only 89F. Was just plodding around like a senior citizen too. Would hate to see if I was beating on it.
It has been much hotter around here this summer and oil temp was consistently in the 210-217 range before installing the insulation.
221 was the highest I ever saw it go and that was a crazy hot day with everglades humidity.

Moral of the story: blankets keep you warmer. Mind blown.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
General question...Is it a thing that some tunes result in a reported drop in oil temps during normal driving?

It's been 2 years since I got the APR+ tune and even on the hottest Florida days in normal driving conditions it generally always stays between 210 and 216. I could've sworn it was a bit higher on average before the tune. Of course, on occasions where I can really beat on it for any prolonged period it will go higher.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
General question...Is it a thing that some tunes result in a reported drop in oil temps during normal driving?

It's been 2 years since I got the APR+ tune and even on the hottest Florida days in normal driving conditions it generally always stays between 210 and 216. I could've sworn it was a bit higher on average before the tune. Of course, on occasions where I can really beat on it for any prolonged period it will go higher.

A tune won't affect the oil temp unless you're getting on it all the time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It's lower though ( in normal driving). I always have the oil temp up constantly between the clocks. Pre tune, I'm sure it used to run about 220 or so on average, which then became 210. I just can't really see why that would be.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's lower though ( in normal driving). I always have the oil temp up constantly between the clocks. Pre tune, I'm sure it used to run about 220 or so on average, which then became 210. I just can't really see why that would be.

I can't see why that would be either. I'll tell you another one that I find hard to believe. I'm in Phoenix and we're breaking records daily with high ambient temps and my oil temp is higher on the highway than in city driving. I was surprised by that because you would think that the oil temp would be lower at highway speeds than in stoplight to stoplight driving.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion

ive had the same experience with APR S2. Constantly at 210. I used to see 217+ consistently with S1. Idk if upgrading the intercooler would have some sort of an effect as I did that the same time when going S2.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I can't see why that would be either. I'll tell you another one that I find hard to believe. I'm in Phoenix and we're breaking records daily with high ambient temps and my oil temp is higher on the highway than in city driving. I was surprised by that because you would think that the oil temp would be lower at highway speeds than in stoplight to stoplight driving.

I think that's probably just the sustained higher rpms and the high ambient temps defeating the increased highway speeds airflow. Same here in FL, in my very narrow 210-216 normal operating range, the 216 only occurs during highway driving. Putzing around town its more 210-212.

My bike on the other hand is opposite, it really needs the airflow, things start getting toasty crawling about in city traffic. But obviously much smaller cooling components than the car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think that's probably just the sustained higher rpms and the high ambient temps defeating the increased highway speeds airflow. Same here in FL, in my very narrow 210-216 normal operating range, the 216 only occurs during highway driving. Putzing around town its more 210-212.

My bike on the other hand is opposite, it really needs the airflow, things start getting toasty crawling about in city traffic. But obviously much smaller cooling components than the car.

I agree but it surprised me since I'm so used to coolant temps coming down on the highway. I never thought about the oil temp being the opposite.