GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil light has come on twice within 8,000 Miles

Spinstorm

Ready to race!
Exactly as the title says; in my GTD I have now had the check oil level light twice within 8,000 miles.

Does the GTD eat oil or is that something that I need checked?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Well.. have you checked your oil level to determine that it is indeed low? If it is low, and continues to lose oil after topping off, you should be concerned.

How much oil is missing if/when you check?

Spinstorm

Ready to race!
Truth be told I checked the oil level and it didn't look low but my natural reaction was just to top it up a bit and then the light went off. So I haven't particularly paid that much attention.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow; but I guess the question is can a GTD or GTI or R drink enough oil in a short period of time to cause the light to come up? Because I had a Seat Leon for 10 months before my GTD and it never once gave me an oil light (admittedly it was a 1.6L diesel and not a 2L turbo charged).

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yes they can. Make sure you keep it topped up. Unless it's burning more than a couple of litres between services the dealers will ignore it.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Make sure you read the owners manual on how to properly check the oil. On the GTI, you're supposed to check the oil level at operating temperature. May sound funny, but the ole' rule of thumb is check it when it is cold, but VW has determined the length of the dip stick to read accurately when hot.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Make sure you read the owners manual on how to properly check the oil. On the GTI, you're supposed to check the oil level at operating temperature. May sound funny, but the ole' rule of thumb is check it when it is cold, but VW has determined the length of the dip stick to read accurately when hot.

Interesting.

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
On a modern engine I'd perhaps expect a little usage whilst everything is bedding in, but after that the consumption should be minimal.

It kind of depends on what amount of oil shortfall makes the top-up light illuminate tbh

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Truth be told I checked the oil level and it didn't look low but my natural reaction was just to top it up a bit and then the light went off. So I haven't particularly paid that much attention.

Never randomly top up as you can do as much damage by overfilling as letting it run too low. It is only 1lltr from the maximum to minimum to overfilling is easy and can be costly.

On a modern engine I'd perhaps expect a little usage whilst everything is bedding in, but after that the consumption should be minimal.

Mine used a bit in the first few hundred miles but after driving it like I stole it when it was new, it now uses none at 32k miles.

alderran1

Ready to race!
At 5K my oil light came on. I put in a quart. Now at 7K it looks to be like it's nearly half a quart down. Think I have an oil burner on my hands.

I am wondering if there is any point to complaining? I am guessing VW will probaby say this is normal.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yep, pretty much. Even the book says "up to 1l per 1000km"

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Odd, I wonder why these engines burn oil so much.. reading up on it a little bit points to a bad PCV system.

Is anyone here running a catch can on their MK7 R and noticing any difference in oil consumption.

coleylikesbacon

Ready to race!
Canadian here.

Before the first oil change at 15,000km had to add about a pint (500ml). Nothing in the catch can.

Now at 25,000km and haven't added any. Nothing in the catch can.

PCV system in the MK7 seems good.