GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Level Too High?

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my oil changed on my 2017 GTI SE a couple of days ago at a reputable, independent auto repair shop. They work on a lot of VW‘s.

I noticed that the oil level is higher than it should be on the dipstick. See attached photo. Do you think this oil level merits a return trip to have them take a bit of the oil out?

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
Not seeing a photo, forgot to attach?
Yep. Going through Covid. I have Covid brain this week. Here is the attachment.

Attachments

• Dipstick.jpg
    Dipstick.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 122

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Or just do a track day. You'll burn through a quart or so

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Absolutely, I would go back. That's easily overfilled by at least a quart. You're approaching "Do not start the engine" range as mentioned in the owners manual

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
Ahhhhh yea way too much ull be pissing that out onto ur DP and making it look like u blew ur motor when it all burns off! That has like 1.5 quarts too much! The dopes working there are supposed to walk over and show the customer the oil level on the dip stick. Guessing that was never done.....

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all your input. I am stuck working from home this week so I won't be driving it at all until Friday morning when I trek back to the shop to have them make this right. It is about a 7 mile drive and I've only driven it bringing the car home after the oil change two days ago so hopefully that short of driving since they overfilled won't do any damage.

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
One of my neighbors had a manual liquid transfer pump so I did this myself. I didn’t want to risk driving it while too full. Almost a quart of oil had to be extracted to get to the actual “full” line.

I will be dropping this off at the shop for them to recycle :(.

So disappointing.

Attachments

• IMG_4004.jpeg
    IMG_4004.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31