GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Draining vs Extracting

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
The classic method is to drain the oil of course. With a top mounted filter, extracting the oil through the drain plug would mean you don't even have to lift the car up. There are pros and cons to both methods but fwiw, my Audi dealer and I'm sure many others use the extractors for every Audi besides the R8.

So, what method do you prefer?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
So, what method do you prefer?

drain it.

do you plan to do other diy work? get ramps if you don't have them. get on them and let gravity do the work.

this car is so much easier for oil change than other cars I've worked on.

I considered an extractor but I don't see the big benefit to them. Maybe someone here who's done both will set me straight :)

depth_charged

Ready to race!
I use an extractor because I live in an apartment complex, it makes life much easier than jacking the car up in an uneven parking lot and laying on the ground, or driving somewhere to borrow a rack. It's also less messy (I have done thousands upon thousands of oil changes and spills happen).

As far as how much oil comes out, I'd say a negligible amount less than draining it from the pan. As long as you are changing it regularly, you are going above and beyond what most people do anyway.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
makes total sense for your situation [emoji106]

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I also use a extractor for the car in an apartment, I think I use the drain method once every 4-5 oil changes...

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Extractor, simple, quick, clean, what more would you want.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Extractor user here. It's quick, clean, and easy.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

n2rcn4fun1

Have both the GTI and Honda, extractor for the GTI 15 minutes to change, have to take half the car apart for the civic and oil goes everywhere do to the location of the oil filter. so with the car on ramps getting all the oil out is a PIA. But they are fast cars

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
When i was due for my first oil change on my new to me GTI, ECS happened to be running a special on the Schwaben oil extractor. Couldn't hurt to give it a try so I bought it.

In short, it's amazing. If it only lasts 5 oil changes I'll consider it worth it. I was skeptical but it pulled roughly 5.5 pints out, was incredibly clean and easy to use, and I didn't have to get on the ground. Basically insert tube down the dipstick, pump the handle a few times, drink beer and watch. When you're done their is pour spout to empty the container. There's even a dipstick holder built in.

I'll still probably change my oil the old fashioned way once a year just to swap the drain plug, otherwise I'm using the pump.