GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil consumption 2014 golf R

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi probably been asked before,

Has anyone experienced usage of oil.
Cant seem to see any obvious smoke but mine is starting to use around 500ml every 1200 miles or so. We'll within VW tolerance apparently.

Debating if to go down the route of replacing components such as the PCV or swap out to a different oil, currently running 5W 30 genuine oil from TPS. They do have 5W 40 as an alternative. Due service next month anyway.

Car is standard 68k on clock, had it on ramp and no leaks so she must be drinking it.

Cheers.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'd consider looking at the PCV.

Mine doesn't use oil that I can see over the course of 5k mile interval changes.

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd consider looking at the PCV.

Mine doesn't use oil that I can see over the course of 5k mile interval changes.
I'm tempted to be fair, I've heard they cam be problematic and it's the original one so it's not done too bad I suppose.

I'm just hoping it's nothing more but it's getting slightly worse over the last few months.

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
It depends how you drive. Drive like real grandpa and you'll hardly use any. I'm a fake grandpa, so...
Oh she gets driven hard at times but most of the time she's cruising on the motorway but I'm not afraid to open her up on the country lanes every now and again 😅

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Definitely look into PCV. Open the intercooler hoses and see if they are full of oil. If so the PCV has failed. Replace PCV.

These motors are 5W-40
The R calls for the VW504 approval which are all 30 grade.