GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM fender audio retrofitted to Base system?

enrique71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I see.

Now I'm wondering if I put in the Helix in combo with some like new Fender speakers out of a wrecked MK7, would the Helix amp even powerful enough to power everything successfully?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Has anyone managed to do this? I'm in the same boat, put the Helix on my '18 SE and while the sound is better it's still not where I'd like it to be. A stereo shop wants to charge me $2,100 just to replace the front and passenger speakers, that's insane.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That shop is trying to rip you off, badly. There is a thread here with people using aftermarket speakers with the Helix amp, but not the Fender speakers. Not sure of the specs on the Fender amp/speakers but let's assume no issues with running Fender speakers on the Helix. Unless you're getting them from a wrecked Mk7 for free (or nearly free) I think your time/money would be better used on some different aftermarket speakers that will likely be an upgrade even from the Fender speakers.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
handsdown the secont option... as long as its tuned up well. also the helix sub+ a separate DSP/amp is kinda a waste since the great part about the Helix is that its a plug n play for adding a sub AND powering the rest of the system.
if you are going to upgrade system all around you may well go with a different sub set up.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm running the helix with stock speakers and using the subwoofer out to feed an LC2i and an aftermarket sub/amp. The Helix system as a whole was pretty balanced but I tend to like a little more bass at low volume levels. My aftermarket sub/amp provides that. Up to the volumes I typically listen stock speakers with the Helix system sounds pretty good.

I would like mids/midbass to be a little cleaner but I think that can be sorted with treatment of the doors. I do have an infinity component set to replace the stock speakers at some point (recommended in the thread I referenced earlier) but I haven't felt the need to pull door panels just for the speakers.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I'd leave the rear speakers alone and put the money you would have spent on those into better front stage, loc, amp, sub. Run the rears off the mib. Splice into the front outs from the mib. Run those to either a dsp, line out converter or amp with high level inputs. The mib will put out about 9 volts through the front speaker wires.

What's your budget? I mean for the $2100 that shop wants, you could have an outstanding system installed.

enrique71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Thanks, another shop wants $1800 to replace the front speakers (a piller + doors) with Focals, that's it .. 4 speakers for $1800 bucks.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
I have a 2019 GOLF SE........

One item on Window Sticker says 6 Speaker system.....No mention of FENDER

Are the 2019'SE Golf's (Not GTI) coming with this FENDER System.

If not what are some of the best value, lowest cost upgrades I could do ???

Thanks, Chuck S Auburn,WA

enrique71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I have a 2019 GOLF SE........

One item on Window Sticker says 6 Speaker system.....No mention of FENDER

Are the 2019'SE Golf's (Not GTI) coming with this FENDER System.

If not what are some of the best value, lowest cost upgrades I could do ???

Thanks, Chuck S Auburn,WA
Hi Chuck.

I have the same problem. A quick fix is to buy the Helix sub /amp from VW or other, it's a supported addon so your car stays stock (no modification) in case you want to keep it that way.

My issue is that even after adding the Helix, the existing speakers are trash so I'm shopping around to get them replaced. Still haven't found a good solution, but again for you a quick start could be the Helix if you don't want to replace the stock system.

Lastly, SE models used to come standard with Fender, but in 2018 this was offered standard only for Autobahn models and optional for SE.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
As someone whose now owned both, the Helix is not as good as the fender system. I would go aftermarket if I were you.

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
With the full wiring harness(es) and a lot of work, sure, it's possible.
It's definitely far from plug & play without the harness though, which I doubt they're including

Adding the Helix subwoofer box would be easier with similar results, IMO
How much is a lot of work? Is there any manuals out lining the differences? I have a SE w/fender audio and I just bought a 4motion Dsg GSW. I’m wanting to put everything in the SE into my S4 motion.... seats, front end, fender head unit..... thanks!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How much is a lot of work? Is there any manuals out lining the differences? I have a SE w/fender audio and I just bought a 4motion Dsg GSW. I’m wanting to put everything in the SE into my S4 motion.... seats, front end, fender head unit..... thanks!
You'd need to tear the car down for the full harness & pull all the speakers and amp and swap it all over. Disassemble the second car for the same thing, swap it all over & then reassemble them both. Wouldn't be worth it though, IMO.
Unless you can get a wiring diagram and figure out how to splice it in somehow? But even so, you'd be running wires to add the sub to the trunk and then to/from the amp as well.

The Helix would be a waaaay easier solution, OR add an aftermarket system instead at that point.