GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Octane Boosters/ Fuel Additives

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
What are everybody's thoughts on adding octane boosters (the kind you get at a gas station)?

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
My thought is it's a waste of money. Put in 91 or 93 (if 91 is not available like in my area) and you are fine. Fuel additives are a different story and may or may not be valuable depending on the age of the car and the detergents in the gas you use.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I tried royal purple with 92 octane vs. 93 octane. The royal purple should have raised it to 95 octane based on their claims. I datalogged with a JB4 and saw better timing, less corrections and more boost on the 93. The octane booster is snake oil. Use a few gallons of e85 instead. Won't really do much in a stock tune though

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I datalogged with a JB4 and saw better timing, less corrections and more boost on the 93. The octane booster is snake oil.

This is a good answer. Glad you went out of the way to do the research.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just curious. Is there any benefit to running 93 + some e85 on a stage 1 or 2

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I tried royal purple with 92 octane vs. 93 octane. The royal purple should have raised it to 95 octane based on their claims. I datalogged with a JB4 and saw better timing, less corrections and more boost on the 93. The octane booster is snake oil. Use a few gallons of e85 instead. Won't really do much in a stock tune though
Agree 100%. Don't waste your money on octane boosters/fuel additives. Just throw in a couple of gallons of E85 the next time you fill up.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Without more boost or compression the need is really not there. Personally I would just run the 91 or 93. I run 93 even though I have access to shell 91. I found it to run a bit smoother.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I logged a ton of runs with VP Racing Octanium for other platforms. Turns 10 gallons of 93 into 101 octane. Legit non corn alternative.

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
Where can I find E85? I have never seen it at a gas station before..

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, thanks TwinDad for that test. So octane boosters are a definite no-go. What about adding a gallon or so of E85? I saw some conflicting responses from you guys..