GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Not another “what’s this sound?” thread!

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Unfortunately it’s become so annoying while driving and I’m definitely not thinking of everything to check. The sound is coming from the front passenger side. Possibly in the engine bay? Sounds higher up than the suspension/subframe. The sound is only coming from the passenger side though.

Everything I have checked so far:
- subframe
- strut
- end link
- wheel
- brake caliper
- engine mount

All of those bolts are snug and secure. I’ve also emptied the glove box to be sure it’s not something in there bouncing around.

The video clip is the phone held over the passenger side dash on a bumpy road.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
While you may have checked for Torque I would suspect the end link. A non-definitive test is to drive straight low speed, parking lot say, and rock the car back and forth maybe 11-1 or so and see if the knock occurs when the right side dips. If it does I would start to narrow an end link or strut that is worn. You could always pull the end link and see if it still occurs but without knowing road conditions and such it’s tough to say for sure. It could be sway bar bushings too. I have seen those make a similar noise.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
While you may have checked for Torque I would suspect the end link. A non-definitive test is to drive straight low speed, parking lot say, and rock the car back and forth maybe 11-1 or so and see if the knock occurs when the right side dips. If it does I would start to narrow an end link or strut that is worn. You could always pull the end link and see if it still occurs but without knowing road conditions and such it’s tough to say for sure. It could be sway bar bushings too. I have seen those make a similar noise.

I’ll try that. The endlinks and struts are brand new though. Just put in an entire air ride system.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That legit sounds like a socket trapped under the hood on the windshield cowl. Top bolts of the shock tower tightened down (didn’t you swap them recently?)?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That legit sounds like a socket trapped under the hood on the windshield cowl. Top bolts of the shock tower tightened down (didn’t you swap them recently?)?
Nice suggestion. Didn't think of that.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
He also asked if you checked for a forgotten socket or tool.

All tools accounted for. Nothing left under the hood. The first thing I thought was the top shock mount too. Those were the first bolts I checked actually. It sounds like it’s right under the dash. Not all the way down by the ground.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Do you have any camber plates installed?