GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

newest newbie

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Hi folks,

I didn't see the intro thread so I'm posting this up here to introduce myself. My name is Jim but on the forums I go by Mud. I just picked up a 2017 GTI Sport with the MT. I traded in a 2012 V6 Mustang with the performance package (think Sport pack) that I liked but never loved. It would go down two lane blacktop faster than you should go in public but didn't have good feel. It was the lack of fun that made me change.

I'll post up pics later but working as a Mod on Mustangevolution I know that newbies often have to get approval to post links/pics and I wanted to get this up. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as I learn these cars. I am not a mechanic but I fix machinery for a living.

I'm in Durham CT USA for those looking for me. It's the black one that is currently covered in dead squirrel (true). On my way in this AM a truck passed me. He did a direct hit on a squirrel and I got to see inner squirrel parts fly up in the air and land on my car :(

I already have a few questions but I'll try searching on my own first. I will say already this car seems to be a good choice. I am still in the break in/learning period (old school and believe in it) and it seems to zip around real good.

Mud

Last edited:

Joel

Ready to race!
Welcome Mud!
I think you will have fun with the GTI, I know I do...

There are a few things you can do to improve the feel of the shifter.
There is a spring that pulls the clutch pedal towards the firewall, and a clutch delay valve in the stock bleeder.
Removing both of these makes the clutch feel less vague.

This is a good forum with great people and a wealth of information.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Welcome Mud, now you can have more fun on those twisty roads. Its nice to see people from muscle cars and trucks switching to GTIs.

Jeffjmu

Welcome Mud! I have a 17 sport with a DSG. These are fun cars!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I intend to do a comparo review once I have a better feel of the GTI but the Mustang looks way better.

I was once a huge Mustang fan, but when Ford went to the retro style in 2005, I lost interest. They went from a small to mid-size rocket to this huge whale of a car IMO. My last one was a 5.0 '91 coupe, never should have sold that car.

Congrats on the GTI, I think that you will find the VW to be much more refined and the interior way nicer. Unfortunately a turbo 4 will never have that V8 lope, I miss that sound:(