GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie hello but i'm confused

alan h

Ready to race!
Howdy all, collected my GTD last friday it has the standard discovery navigation system which i'm guessign doesnt support mirror link?

Car net, when tethered with my mobile hotspot (reception isnt great where i live) all the car net apps say disconnected?

Overall coming froma ford focus with little to no toys i cant say enough how leagues apart this car is

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Same car delivered on Thurs.

Car is app connect capable but if the option wasnt ordered from factory you'll have to wait for VW to make the activation code available as a part. Probably be more than the £100 it costs to have it factory enabled too.

Same with Voice Control.....whats more annoying is that the voice button no longer mutes the sound as it did do on my old GTD without voice control....bit of a backwards step.

Carnet I found initially was a bit intermittent...i drove for miles the other evening with the phone connected via hotspot but no carnet service connection until I was practically home. Now however it seems to work all the time without fail....so far am quite impressed by it.

alan h

Ready to race!
All 2016 models with MIB2 should support CarPlay/Android Auto/MirrorLink. You might have to unlock it via a dealer code, depending on which market you're in.

Thank you for the info i keep seeing MIB2 what does this stand for (silly question probably i know)

on my navigation unit i have the car net logo but no mirror link hence why i thought i didnt have it?

simonsez

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the info i keep seeing MIB2 what does this stand for (silly question probably i know)

on my navigation unit i have the car net logo but no mirror link hence why i thought i didnt have it?

MIB2 is Men-In-Black 2, a great movie with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

It also means "Modular Infotainment Platform".

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

Alan: hello - as to your first question, the Infotainment arrangement in your new car (congrats) is called, the Modular Infotainment System (MIB). The MIB concept was developed by VW together with their development of the Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB in German) which is the name that VW gives to the underlying platform on which your car is built. Not sure if you are aware of MQB, but it provides a central commonality for a bunch of VW models making these cars easier and cheaper to build. MQB is related to the car's body components which are scalable depending on the model car. It's the same for MIB which is related to the infotainment part of the car. MIB is used in a number of different models

The central element of the MIB in its various versions is a central computer, with the same one being used group-wide in vehicles that are built on the MQB platform (the control unit for the MIB is called, J794 in VW's literature). Depending on the version of the infotainment system installed, performance and capacity is scalable with a constant installation space.

MIBII is the second generation of the original unit and it has much better internet connectivity than its predecessor

cheers
Don

alan h

Ready to race!
ah thank you, another question which has been asked before but i couldnt find a up to date reply.

Is it still that the discovery navigation has no speed cameras and cant be loaded with any?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
ah thank you, another question which has been asked before but i couldnt find a up to date reply.

Is it still that the discovery navigation has no speed cameras and cant be loaded with any?

Alan: Given that you have set "planet earth" as your location, that's a difficult question to answer. But down here in the very deep south, there is no speed camera facility on the MIB (as far as I know)
Don