GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New To VW - Buying A 2015 GTI

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey folks! Just wanted to introduce myself to this great community. I'm Gerry, 32, 10-year Navy vet living in South Texas.

I'm looking to buy a GTI 2.0T 4dr w/lighting package sometime around the end of this year/early next year. I wanted to start gathering as much information as I could before I invest and I thought this place would be a great way to help me do that.

I've been seeing the trim I want around my area with the lighting package going for 28k and that's where I'd like to keep the price. I don't want/need anything more than the lighting package for my GTI so I'd like any advice, things I should know when shopping for this, talking to the dealership, anything and everything I should know as a new VW owner, specifically a new GTI owner.

True novice when it comes to VW in general. I've been driving my manual 98 civic ex since I first joined the Navy so this will be a major upgrade for me. I'm pretty much done rowing my own gears for my daily commuter due to the 4 surgeries on my left knee so I'm definitely going with the DSG.

This GTI is going to be my new baby and I'm rather excited so I want to make sure I do this right and prepare myself before I buy it. As you can see I'm not one to replace cars often. Once I find something that works for me I stick with it until it's not serving me the way I'd like it to. Trinity (my civic) has been a great servant (280k miles) but her time has passed and I think I deserve to treat myself to a new and completely different class of car.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you!

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
I would just start reading through the forum and see what people like and don't like. I Have the S trim and the only feature I would like to have and didn't get is the back up camera. Oh and it sounds really minor but it might actually be worth waiting for the 2016 model so you get built in USB.

Oh yeah, since you mention civic I don't know if you heard but Honda is suppose to be releasing a civic type R in the US. Just in case you want to cross shop.

jjkillanole

Oh yeah, since you mention civic I don't know if you heard but Honda is suppose to be releasing a civic type R in the US. Just in case you want to cross shop.

This car seems like it will be more or less in the price range of the low to mid 30 grand in price. Not to mention when they first come out the dealer will most likely mark them up due to initial interest and lack of availability. I remember when I was cross shopping the Focus St when it came out in 2013. The dealer was asking a couple thousand more than msrp because it was new and popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank for that! Yeah I've been reading about the type R and I do like Honda but I'm sold on this GTI. I have also heard about USB FINALLY arriving so that is good news. My timeline may just put me into a great position for the 16 variant but if I find a better deal on a new 15 model I'm going to go with that.

Very kind of ya to drop a line. I'm gonna keep browsing through everyone's posts about their GTI.

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
*UPDATE*

It looks like I wont be in the market for a new GTI until April 2016 at the earliest. Now that I know where I'm at the question is what's coming for the 2016 GTI? I'll be buying the 16' model unless I find a fantastic deal on a new '15 model (if any are left by then). What do you guys think?

Lotta rumors I'm reading about the updated infotainment system. Will they be offering Android Auto and gesture controls? Bigger screen? That's ok but I'm more interested about options in the S trim. Will we be able to choose stuff from higher trims individually? Me personally I like buttons in my car so I'm not bothered about a large nav screen unless it indeed has Android Auto.

When is it expected to be announced and when will they arrive on lots here in the US?

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I have a 2015 S 6 speed with only the lighting package. For me, as a commuter car, it has more than enough factory features for me, and I love it so far (picked it up 2 weeks ago).

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
That's what I was going for this year except with the DSG. Since I'm not gonna be getting one until next spring I thought I'll probably get another package or two depending on what options will be available for the 2016.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hey folks! Just wanted to introduce myself to this great community. I'm Gerry, 32, 10-year Navy vet living in South Texas.

I'm looking to buy a GTI 2.0T 4dr w/lighting package sometime around the end of this year/early next year. I wanted to start gathering as much information as I could before I invest and I thought this place would be a great way to help me do that.

I've been seeing the trim I want around my area with the lighting package going for 28k and that's where I'd like to keep the price. I don't want/need anything more than the lighting package for my GTI so I'd like any advice, things I should know when shopping for this, talking to the dealership, anything and everything I should know as a new VW owner, specifically a new GTI owner.

True novice when it comes to VW in general. I've been driving my manual 98 civic ex since I first joined the Navy so this will be a major upgrade for me. I'm pretty much done rowing my own gears for my daily commuter due to the 4 surgeries on my left knee so I'm definitely going with the DSG.

This GTI is going to be my new baby and I'm rather excited so I want to make sure I do this right and prepare myself before I buy it. As you can see I'm not one to replace cars often. Once I find something that works for me I stick with it until it's not serving me the way I'd like it to. Trinity (my civic) has been a great servant (280k miles) but her time has passed and I think I deserve to treat myself to a new and completely different class of car.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you!

With your left knee issues, have to entered and exited the car a few times to test out? I am 50 and can see the seating position and lower entry being an issue for some. The side bolsters are also large and make it harder in and out. Just a suggestion.

As some suggested, read, read, read.
I gained most all my info from the forum as this was my first VW.
Even with all that reading, I still felt lost when I first had my car, but after hearing all the input, it made it easier to work thru the new items.
Read some of the owners build threads and you can pick up what options to might want to add to car. Main suggestion here is get your car before you buy options. Most of mine fit fine but if I had my car before ordering a couple I would not have ordered. Makes it easier when you can see what your car looks like, and what the item you are buying looks like to make sure they actual do fit each other. Some over sea parts may state Mk7 but are not made for it.

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
Brilliant feedback, Sandman. Thank you! Getting in and out isn't a problem but shoving down a clutch during traffic is and I'm doing that now with my Civic. The sooner I'm inside my new GTI (DSG) the better.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Brilliant feedback, Sandman. Thank you! Getting in and out isn't a problem but shoving down a clutch during traffic is and I'm doing that now with my Civic. The sooner I'm inside my new GTI (DSG) the better.

I think you will love the DSG.
You can drive car 3 ways.
I am surprised how much I like driving with the stick.
I knew about the paddles but having driven a manual when young I find shifting with the stick fun without having to row the clutch.
It will be a jump from your civic. Good luck waiting.

F12

Ready to race!
My advice:

If you're in a hurry to get into a new car, I personally wouldn't base my decision on the new infotainment system. Yeah the current one isn't perfect, but it serves it's purpose.
You really shouldn't be buying a GTI if that's your main concern as there are plenty of other cars out there that will do a better job.
(I'm saying this based on you getting a killer deal on a 2015)

If you want refinement, fun, and practicality, then the GTI is for you.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the DSG can be slightly jerky in stop and go traffic. It's not a huge deal, just something to point out.

If you do decide to pull the trigger on something soon, make sure you tell the dealer NOT TO WASH THE CAR before you pick it up unless you want the free dealer installed swirl option. To this day that's one thing I wish I had not overlooked as it just creates more work for me. Also make sure you get the lighting package. I have seen tons of posts on here about whether or not to get it; DEFINITELY do it. It makes the car look a little higher end and IMO the difference between halogen and xenon is huge.

Just to tempt you a bit, just wait until you drop it into sport mode and put your foot down

mkygod

Ready to race!
The 2016 model, aside from the upgraded infotainment system, will also have added features to driver assistance package.

Features previously only available outside the US market such as emergency auto braking and park pilot, amongst others. These extra futures will increase of the cost the driver assistance package as well to around $1500 msrp

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
My advice:

If you're in a hurry to get into a new car, I personally wouldn't base my decision on the new infotainment system. Yeah the current one isn't perfect, but it serves it's purpose.
You really shouldn't be buying a GTI if that's your main concern as there are plenty of other cars out there that will do a better job.
(I'm saying this based on you getting a killer deal on a 2015)

If you want refinement, fun, and practicality, then the GTI is for you.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the DSG can be slightly jerky in stop and go traffic. It's not a huge deal, just something to point out.

If you do decide to pull the trigger on something soon, make sure you tell the dealer NOT TO WASH THE CAR before you pick it up unless you want the free dealer installed swirl option. To this day that's one thing I wish I had not overlooked as it just creates more work for me. Also make sure you get the lighting package. I have seen tons of posts on here about whether or not to get it; DEFINITELY do it. It makes the car look a little higher end and IMO the difference between halogen and xenon is huge.

Just to tempt you a bit, just wait until you drop it into sport mode and put your foot down

I'm not going to be in a position to pull the trigger on anything until April of next year at the earliest that's why I'm considering the 16' model. The infotainment isn't a big deal for me, but if the 16 will be available when I'm ready to buy why not look into any updates to it?

I'm definitely getting the lighting package on which ever GTI I go with. A must. That tip about the DSG is important, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the input, F12!

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
The 2016 model, aside from the upgraded infotainment system, will also have added features to driver assistance package.

Features previously only available outside the US market such as emergency auto braking and park pilot, amongst others. These extra futures will increase of the cost the driver assistance package as well to around $1500 msrp

Ah, I see. That's good to know but I doubt I'll go with anything other than the lighting package for my S trim unless I get a great deal from someone.

F12

Ready to race!
I'm not going to be in a position to pull the trigger on anything until April of next year at the earliest that's why I'm considering the 16' model. The infotainment isn't a big deal for me, but if the 16 will be available when I'm ready to buy why not look into any updates to it?

I'm definitely getting the lighting package on which ever GTI I go with. A must. That tip about the DSG is important, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the input, F12!

Ah I see, my comment regarding the infotainment system is invalid.
My point was basically that if you somehow get into a position where you're able to grab a 2015, you won't be let down.

Good luck!