GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member, build ideas...

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
Hey guys, new GTI owner coming from having an STI and trying to get used to this new world of only 2 pedals.. lol anyway I’ve been reading through everything and so many different opinions on APR, unitronic, IE and JB1/4. Now I bought brand new, she has 250 miles on her now and doesn’t see too much mileage on the regular. I’d like to have a reliable 300 whp which seems doable on the IS20 with a jb4 and some bolt ons.. do t want to ramble too much but just wanted to see what everyone out there has to say. Want to probably utilize stock DP unless I can get one that won’t throw CEL. Like the neuspeed CBE with dual cans (love the look, sounds nice in videos), probably go with APR intake and inlet pipe. Looking at intercooler options as well. Live WELL above sea level in Colorado Springs so power is reduced up here.. anyway I rambled lol any ideas are welcome.
B2E31B24-BCE0-4578-AEA9-7C867DCEAC58.jpeg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
EQT is the choice for tunes; intercooler should be one of the first things upgraded; intakes don’t do much outside of noise on these cars; spend money on a good DP when the time comes and look for one with the cat near the turbo so you wont smell gas in the cabin.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. I also recommend EQT for tuning and getting an IC and just get a drop in filter instead of an intake to save money with the same result minus the sound. You won't get 300 HP at your altitude with a JB4. it would be difficult to get 300 HP even with a tune and catless DP.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
I love where I live. I hate the effect it has on vehicles.. bummer to hear guess I’m looking at IS38 then! Ideally I’d like to not completely obliterate the factory warranty. Not sure if my dealers up here are mod friendly or not. With the access port I’m familiar with being able to re flash however don’t want to flag td1.. dilemmas I suppose. Can’t have the cake and eat it too.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
Not gonna make 300whp up there on JB4. Good thing is you can buy it used and throw it on. Give it a few weeks. Not enough? Resell for what you paid.
+1

kinda where I’m leaning. Big pro is removability in case whatever happens. I’ll have to search around to find used.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
No power to be made on stock turbo. If you want sound go for it. Add a downpipe and it'll sound like crap.

so IS38 or go bigger? I’m wanting bigger turbo down the line, just concerned how much it’ll be actually able to put down with FWD. Patience is not my strong suit. Should’ve waited for new Golf R but love the mk7 and not the biggest fan of mk8. Could’ve bought used but damn the selection was awful

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, that's a different story.... Yeah a 3" catback will make some power once you are pushing 400+, but gains per $$$ spent are pretty poor. Word of advice, pick an efficient IS20 hybrid based turbo to keep spool and not have to run the gate almost closed to make boost.. My choice is EQT Vortex standard housing. Putting down power is always the hard part with FWD :LOL:

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
I’m definitely leaning on the side of intercooler (not sure what brand/best deal any help? Lol) CBE for basically sound purposes only until later date TBD, drop in filter and JB4. I’m thinking at least 250-275 whp should be attainable with that no? Exterior wise.. I like the eibach pro kit Springs and looking at some spacers to try to get the best fitment, think 12 or 15mm all around. Then call it a day for now until new turbo, downpipe, etc.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I love where I live. I hate the effect it has on vehicles.. bummer to hear guess I’m looking at IS38 then! Ideally I’d like to not completely obliterate the factory warranty. Not sure if my dealers up here are mod friendly or not. With the access port I’m familiar with being able to re flash however don’t want to flag td1.. dilemmas I suppose. Can’t have the cake and eat it too.
The Springs was great 10-15 years ago but now, not so much. I agreed with Diggs, go Vortex and run E85, plenty of stations in the area if I remember correctly.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
The Springs was great 10-15 years ago but now, not so much. I agreed with Diggs, go Vortex and run E85, plenty of stations in the area if I remember correctly.
E85 is EVERYWHERE and there’s a Kum and go on every corner. I hear you though, it’s kinda gone downhill now.. I came from South Dakota though and been here 22 years. Nothing as as bad as Pierre, SD. Lol