GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf R owner

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Jealous, there were no white manuals for sale anywhere remotely close to Chicago when I got mine. Congrats and remember you'll likely need a new clutch if you add power.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Have never seen an R in the color of white.Your car looks great.Pretoria's are super.Endless possibilities for subtle cool colors that all do well with white.

Mirror caps in Carbon or a color trick of one mirror cap in a different color form the other. OR (upper area cap in matching color with lower cap of opposite mirror.) Crazy but true.

translux

Ready to race!
Congrats! Love the mod list. It looks like you've done your research. Just in case you did not know, the stock clutch on these cars can't hold much power. I think JB4 is the way to go if you're looking to keep the stock clutch for a while. You can tweak a map to preserve the clutch :). If you're looking for more power after that, grab a downpipe. Getting an intercooler first is a great decision though, especially with the JB4. When I ran a JB1, my limiting factor was always IAT's. When the summer heat came, I would constantly have to turn down the boost. Running logs and making corrections was a little annoying. I upgraded to a better intercooler and the hot months were MUCH more enjoyable!

Thank you!
Good point on the intercooler. You can have all the boost you want and no power with high iats. Is it recommended or even possible to use a higher velocity coolant pump?

Congrats to a fellow Oryx owner and someone who ALSO put the M2 in their list of other potential rides. Enjoy her and happy modding bud!
Thanks!

Welcome to another old guy R owner in the Chicago area. Mine is a Limestone Gray 2016 base model with 6MT, and even though I commute through the city, I wouldn't have anything but a manual. I'm just under 25000 miles on my R, and I think to myself every day how much I love to drive it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine.
Thanks!
The R looks great in Limestone Gray.
This is a special car for sure, especially in a manual.
To me it feels like it has many of the best attributes of some of the cars I've owned over the years.
I don't think you can beat the fun/comfort balance.

Jealous, there were no white manuals for sale anywhere remotely close to Chicago when I got mine. Congrats and remember you'll likely need a new clutch if you add power.
Thanks!
re: the clutch I knew this going in from doing some forum browsing. Not that a stock clutch should be expected to hold a bunch of additional power. I do find it odd that VW got so many things right then decided to use something that is clearly at its limits.

Have never seen an R in the color of white.Your car looks great.Pretoria's are super.Endless possibilities for subtle cool colors that all do well with white.

Mirror caps in Carbon or a color trick of one mirror cap in a different color form the other. OR (upper area cap in matching color with lower cap of opposite mirror.) Crazy but true.
Thanks!
Sounds interesting, any pics?

skr9

Greetings everyone - new 2017 Golf R owner here as well - and having fun reading all about this great car here. Attached are a couple shots of the R in Limestone Grey which is about as exciting as a grey can be - its a pretty luxurious color.
I'm fairly blown away by how much fun this car is to drive. WAY more fun than my Macan, and almost half the price! (I know - 2 completely different vehicles, but still...).

My quick summary when talking to anyone is that this car has it all - practicality of hatchback, driving dynamics of a 'sports car', all wheel drive, and a very composed chassis and ride for a car basically based on an economy hatch.
The specific details which instantly jump out at me after my first 40 miles in it:
Seats - amazingly comfortable and supportive for someone my size (though I imagine a few of my friends of a larger frame are going to find them a bit tight); the steering, in sport setting, is boundless fun, especially with the flat-bottom steering wheel; Motor Trend's criticism that the manual shifter was a little rubbery seems inaccurate - though perhaps this was improved for 2017, as I find the shifting relatively crisp and gated; excellent ergonomics - I instantly adapted to pretty much everything and have not tripped up - Porsche could learn a little from their brethren and avoid over-complicating things with fussier buttons; overall design and build quality definitely feels one class above.

Can't wait to get in it and drive again!

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 399
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 398
  • R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 396

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
^LOL, R Kelly.

skr9

That's actually pretty funny - hadn't picked up on that! The Kelly dealership sticker is coming off anyway unless they reimburse me for the advertising!

translux

Ready to race!
Greetings everyone - new 2017 Golf R owner here as well - and having fun reading all about this great car here. Attached are a couple shots of the R in Limestone Grey which is about as exciting as a grey can be - its a pretty luxurious color.

I'm fairly blown away by how much fun this car is to drive. WAY more fun than my Macan, and almost half the price! (I know - 2 completely different vehicles, but still...).

My quick summary when talking to anyone is that this car has it all - practicality of hatchback, driving dynamics of a 'sports car', all wheel drive, and a very composed chassis and ride for a car basically based on an economy hatch.

The specific details which instantly jump out at me after my first 40 miles in it:

Seats - amazingly comfortable and supportive for someone my size (though I imagine a few of my friends of a larger frame are going to find them a bit tight); the steering, in sport setting, is boundless fun, especially with the flat-bottom steering wheel; Motor Trend's criticism that the manual shifter was a little rubbery seems inaccurate - though perhaps this was improved for 2017, as I find the shifting relatively crisp and gated; excellent ergonomics - I instantly adapted to pretty much everything and have not tripped up - Porsche could learn a little from their brethren and avoid over-complicating things with fussier buttons; overall design and build quality definitely feels one class above.

Can't wait to get in it and drive again!

Man I love the the Limestone Gray, maybe I'll have to switch...

You touched on one of the most important aspects of a great performance car - composure. The road has to be pretty awful to upset the R. Pretty impressive when you consider the short wheelbase. This is one of the best qualities of my CTS-V. After all the goal is to keep as much tire on the road

Most of the newer cars that I've driven don't do well with mid corner bumps and suffer from wheel hop.

For whatever reason harsh is associated with performance.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6' and 275lbs and find the seats very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Thanks!
re: the clutch I knew this going in from doing some forum browsing. Not that a stock clutch should be expected to hold a bunch of additional power. I do find it odd that VW got so many things right then decided to use something that is clearly at its limits.

It's even more puzzling when you consider the RSR clutch holds way more power and uses all off the shelf vw/audi parts. I'm sure VWs cost on parts between the 2 is neglible.

translux

Ready to race!
It's even more puzzling when you consider the RSR clutch holds way more power and uses all off the shelf vw/audi parts. I'm sure VWs cost on parts between the 2 is neglible.

I should know what an RSR is but I don't. Google came back with some wide body GTI's that looked like tuner specials. Was this a factory car?
Is this the same clutch from the TT-RS?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I should know what an RSR is but I don't. Google came back with some wide body GTI's that looked like tuner specials. Was this a factory car?
Is this the same clutch from the TT-RS?

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3888

TTRS Pressure plate, clutch disc is from one of VWs european diesels I think and it reuses the dual mass flywheel. I love mine. If you're ever in the city and want to see how it feels shoot me a message. I live in river north.

translux

Ready to race!
http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3888

TTRS Pressure plate, clutch disc is from one of VWs european diesels I think and it reuses the dual mass flywheel. I love mine. If you're ever in the city and want to see how it feels shoot me a message. I live in river north.

Thanks, is this a better or as good of a choice as something like from South Bend, Clutch Masters, BFI etc ?

I really want something with a nice progressive release that's not noisy. A little more pedal pressure is fine. My last car's McLeod RTX was perfect, well after the 2nd shop finally got the geometry right but after a day in heavy Chicago rush hour it did start to felt like a leg press machine.

My hope is that I can tweak the JB4, avoid really hard lauches and probably most importanlty wot at low rpm while in 3rd + to help get at least a couple thousand miles out of the stock. I've also been diligent with breaking in the clutch for roughly 1,500 miles before any spirited driving.

My plan is to install the JB4 next week so we'll see.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Thanks, is this a better or as good of a choice as something like from South Bend, Clutch Masters, BFI etc ?

I really want something with a nice progressive release that's not noisy. A little more pedal pressure is fine. My last car's McLeod RTX was perfect, well after the 2nd shop finally got the geometry right but after a day in heavy Chicago rush hour it did start to felt like a leg press machine.

My hope is that I can tweak the JB4, avoid really hard lauches and probably most importanlty wot at low rpm while in 3rd + to help get at least a couple thousand miles out of the stock. I've also been diligent with breaking in the clutch for roughly 1,500 miles before any spirited driving.

My plan is to install the JB4 next week so we'll see.

Depends on your goals. It feels stock and I'm a big fan. There is no chatter like the smfw but I've never driven the other kits so outside of that I can't compare. If you do it proactively you can reuse your flywheel.

Make sure you slide the drivers seat all the way back during the jb4 install. I didn't and getting into the drivers footwell was a huge pain in the ass with the battery removed.

SVTunit

Ready to race!

I am a BIG fan of the RSR clutch! I am @ Stage 2 in my MK6 GTI with around 360HP and have had this clutch for over 70,000 miles with zero issues. It drives just like a stock clutch! :):):):)

translux

Ready to race!
Depends on your goals. It feels stock and I'm a big fan. There is no chatter like the smfw but I've never driven the other kits so outside of that I can't compare. If you do it proactively you can reuse your flywheel.

Make sure you slide the drivers seat all the way back during the jb4 install. I didn't and getting into the drivers footwell was a huge pain in the ass with the battery removed.

Sounds like the RSR is a good choice.
Thanks for the tip on the seat, I'm sure I would have forgot this.

I am a BIG fan of the RSR clutch! I am @ Stage 2 in my MK6 GTI with around 360HP and have had this clutch for over 70,000 miles with zero issues. It drives just like a stock clutch! :):):):)

70k is impressive, thanks for the info.