GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf R owner

translux

Ready to race!
Hello, old guy from Chitown with a new R.
Wanted a fun daily driver. Narrowed my choices down Focus RS, M235 and Golf R. Ride quality or lack there of on the RS was tolerable but couldn't live with the up in the air tractor style seating position. Certainly an amazing car.

Couldn't find a manual M235 to drive.

Local dealer had a manual R, took it for a spin and was sold.
3 pedals, DCC, Nav, Driver Assist
Still coming to terms with it being white. 99% of everything I've ever had was blk. Just needs some subtle tweaks.

Really enjoy driving the R stock. But my motto is if it's not broke mod it.
Modest mods planned-UM Proflex and/or JB4, intercooler, upgraded plumbing, motor mount, pads, stainless lines, clutch, shifter bushings, bleeder block, Raceseng weighted shift knob, swaybar and endlinks, and most importantly PS4S. Anything I'm missing?

G7Rules

Ready to race!
Anything I'm missing?

Paddles [emoji23]

More seriously, welcome! You will love this car for a long time; it's such a great blend of everything (comfort, fun, practicality, etc) that little else competes with it.

I recommend adding a Remus Responder pedalbox to your list of mods. It really wakes up the throttle response by remapping it and nearly eliminates the quarter second delay in the electronic throttle.

Oh and some blue footwell LEDs to really compliment the blue interior theme of the car.

translux

Ready to race!
Nice :) I like the white on Golf R. Dont see often but it looks nice.
Thanks it's growing on me.

Paddles [emoji23]

More seriously, welcome! You will love this car for a long time; it's such a great blend of everything (comfort, fun, practicality, etc) that little else competes with it.

I recommend adding a Remus Responder pedalbox to your list of mods. It really wakes up the throttle response by remapping it and nearly eliminates the quarter second delay in the electronic throttle.

Oh and some blue footwell LEDs to really compliment the blue interior theme of the car.

DSG is lightning quick and if I lived somewhere with some twisty canyon roads or spent anytime on a road course it would be ideal. But I live in a highly populated area with almost no curves. With the manual I can have a bit of fun just tooling around town.
I also had a car with PDK and didn't really enjoy driving it. Though I will say the E60 M5 I had I loved the SMG. IMHO it really fit the character of the car and the nature of the motor. It was also raw and visceral.

I agree its a great daily driver for an enthusiast. I think the DCC + driving modes helps a bunch.

Thanks for the tip on the Remus. Do you still recommend this with a tune and the transmission mods?

I do love the blue interior scheme.

Last edited:

G7Rules

Ready to race!
Thanks for the tip on the Remus. Do you still recommend this with a tune and the transmission mods?

Depends on if you get a flash (ECU) tune or a piggyback tune. It is my understanding that flash tunes can change the pedal responsiveness but piggyback tunes do not and would therefore benefit from the Responder. Maybe one with more experience in flash tunes can add to my limited knowledge here.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Welcome! Great choice on the spec, love the white with the pretoira wheels.

I also looked at the M235i, but like you a manual was nowhere to be found. Im very happy with the manual R, great fun and the practicality is unbeatable.

Enjoy!

translux

Ready to race!
Welcome! Great choice on the spec, love the white with the pretoira wheels.

I also looked at the M235i, but like you a manual was nowhere to be found. Im very happy with the manual R, great fun and the practicality is unbeatable.

Enjoy!

Thanks!
I know that few want manuals these days but you'd think BMW of all manufacturers would build at least an adequate amount. Two relatively large dealers near me both had ZERO manuals of anything on the lot.

I'm nearing 1k miles so after an oil change, I'll get a chance to see what she'll do. Then let the mods begin!

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
White is the hottest color. But after owning a white MK6 GTI, I won't do white anymore just because I don't have time to detail my cars like I used to. The brake dust on the paint is the worst with white, even with the best sealant/wax you still end up having to clay bar (or clay towel)...unless you have the time to religiously wash the car once a week or more.

Also, manuals are more fun to drive, which is more important than automated performance to me. :)

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Thanks it's growing on me.

DSG is lightning quick and if I lived somewhere with some twisty canyon roads or spent anytime on a road course it would be ideal. But I live in a highly populated area with almost no curves. With the manual I can have a bit of fun just tooling around town.

Should it be the other way around?

Veedubgli

Ready to race!

That's what I was thinking. I took the R up a backroad (which they close and only allow snowmobiles in winter) in the white mountains last summer. Super twisty with some straightaways....enough to get the R up to 100mph. But the curves were the best part, down shifting and then rowing back through the gears. There's nothing like driving a manual on the backroads....or up mountains! :)

translux

Ready to race!
White is the hottest color. But after owning a white MK6 GTI, I won't do white anymore just because I don't have time to detail my cars like I used to. The brake dust on the paint is the worst with white, even with the best sealant/wax you still end up having to clay bar (or clay towel)...unless you have the time to religiously wash the car once a week or more.

Also, manuals are more fun to drive, which is more important than automated performance to me. :)

Yah it's going to be a pita to keep it looking nice. Fortunately I enjoy detailing. I find the simple process-not simple work mind you-and results relaxing and satisfying. Something I rarely get from my day job.

I love manuals. They can make the most mundane cars fun. Inversely they can IMHO make great cars boring. My neighbor has an auto R8 that just isn't that fun to drive for me. Given the manual has a gated shifter it's a sin to have the auto. But to each it own.

I'm not skilled enough for a manual on the track. With an auto I can stay focus on left foot braking, lines etc.

georgiatechME

Ready to race!
Congrats! Love the mod list. It looks like you've done your research. Just in case you did not know, the stock clutch on these cars can't hold much power. I think JB4 is the way to go if you're looking to keep the stock clutch for a while. You can tweak a map to preserve the clutch :). If you're looking for more power after that, grab a downpipe. Getting an intercooler first is a great decision though, especially with the JB4. When I ran a JB1, my limiting factor was always IAT's. When the summer heat came, I would constantly have to turn down the boost. Running logs and making corrections was a little annoying. I upgraded to a better intercooler and the hot months were MUCH more enjoyable!

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Congrats to a fellow Oryx owner and someone who ALSO put the M2 in their list of other potential rides. Enjoy her and happy modding bud!

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
Welcome to another old guy R owner in the Chicago area. Mine is a Limestone Gray 2016 base model with 6MT, and even though I commute through the city, I wouldn't have anything but a manual. I'm just under 25000 miles on my R, and I think to myself every day how much I love to drive it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine.