GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Borla Cat-Back For Golf R

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Waiting on a customized (reduction in tip protrusion) CB w/ black tips from Billy Boat. For me it was easier to justify the cost of a cat back over the hundreds for four quality black tips and chop/weld fees on my R. It would have been $450 all-in and a total wash as the used tip market is pretty non-existent, where-as people will drive for a good deal on a quality CB. I’ll get 1k for it picked up when the time comes. At the end of the day it will have been cheaper for me to run a quality CB then fix my corroded chrome OEM tips.

I think the assumption that people buy a CB exhaust because they actually think there is performance to be had is a bit short sighted.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I've been seriously eyeing the Borla for my 7.5. I even called them to see if they had plans to release it soon, but was told that it was still in the engineering phase and the company didn't expect to have the product available until end of year. This was also a few months ago before Covid got bad, so I'm assuming there will prob be even more of a delay. Sucks because this was my favorite exhaust for the MK7. I would have dropped the $$$ in a heartbeat if it was ready for the facelift. Not sure what the holdup is considering the only difference between the 7 & 7.5 is slightly wider cutouts in the rear and a slightly different path for subframe clearance. Figure an engineer could make those adjustments pretty quickly.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Nice thing about this is large retailers like Summit and Jegs carry this exhaust, so it'll be reasonably priced thru them...

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Bumping this thread.

The exhaust has finally been released. It wasn't on any of the websites yet, so I called ECS and they reached out to the manufacturer. They called me back about 15 mins later and told me it had already been added to the website. I ordered it on the spot as I've been waiting for this system. I think it's the cleanest system out there in terms of retaining the factory valve motors.

ECS Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-borla-parts/performance-cat-back-exhaust-system/140830sb~bor/

Please note that the part ECS has on the website is the NON-resonated version. This is because it's the variant I wanted, and so this is the only one that's been added to the site so far. I'm sure they will eventually add the resonated version, and other companies will also feature this product on their websites as well.

Borla Direct Link: https://www.borla.com/volkswagen/golf-r/2018-2019-volkswagen-golf-r-exhaust-systems/

Non-resonated: 140830SB
Resonated: 140831SB

Here you can find both versions of the exhaust, but the manufacturer direct charges for shipping ~$100 for USP ground.

Hope this information helps for anyone in the market for an exhaust. I have another thread open about my bad experience with exhaust systems for the R. With the valved system and prices of exhausts, this can be a hard vehicle to fit a decent system IMHO. A lot of times you either loose some of the functionality, or you end up spending a fortune. I'm hoping the Borla system hits the spot.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
So shipped with tax from ECS the non-resonated version comes out to $1932.78. I’m a bit surprised that they are moving into near bespoke pricing on this without offering tip diameter, cut and finish options but they put out a quality product from what I’ve experienced on the domestic side. Unlike most others, it seemed like a 2 hour install wasn’t followed with days of tip and hanger adjustment with Borla. They just seem to fit right with minimal fuss.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
FWIW there's someone selling a Borla non res for under a grand on vortex...
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9413313-Borla-S-Type-Catback-Exhaust-for-MK7-Golf-R

This is the for the MK7. The edition that was just released is for the MK7.5

So shipped with tax from ECS the non-resonated version comes out to $1932.78. I’m a bit surprised that they are moving into near bespoke pricing on this without offering tip diameter, cut and finish options but they put out a quality product from what I’ve experienced on the domestic side. Unlike most others, it seemed like a 2 hour install wasn’t followed with days of tip and hanger adjustment with Borla. They just seem to fit right with minimal fuss.

My order total OTD yesterday was $1831.65

I'm sure it'll be offered for far less when Summit Racing and Jegs start carrying it

It will most definitely be offered at these websites, but I doubt for far less. Most of these sites are pretty competitive on price

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
$1831 delivered is not a bad price for a new Borla exhaust. I remember the MK7 ones were about that price until around some sales event where I found an eBay store selling them for $1440 shipped which was a huge bargain.. Authentic product, came with a Borla baseball cap and all.

I don't remember seeing Summit nor Jegs selling that low. Had I seen it, I would've bought from them as I buy from Summit and Jegs occasionally. Actually got my GoJacks from Summit a month or so ago.

pjs06c

Passed Driver's Ed
Judging from the lack of videos on youtube, you might be the first to get one. Please let us know your thoughts and share a video if you can, I have my eye on this system but holding out for more videos. Do you have a stock DP?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Judging from the lack of videos on youtube, you might be the first to get one. Please let us know your thoughts and share a video if you can, I have my eye on this system but holding out for more videos. Do you have a stock DP?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

Yeah, I agree. The promo video posted here also isn't the greatest in terms of sound quality. They switch back and forth between open and closed valves along with cutting the video without indicating what is what. Makes it really difficult to understand without watching it a bunch of times.

Like I said earlier in the thread, none of the resellers had the system on their website yet... as a matter of fact, I think that's still the case. Unless people are buying directly from the Borla website? Would be kind of dumb if that's the case. They charge MSPR along with shipping. Makes the system a lot more expensive.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have not worked out why the Catbacks are so expensive for our cars, im sure alot more people would be inclined to purchase them if the markup wasnt so high

Most likely due to economies of scale.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The Borla system fit like a glove. Much easier to install than the Milltek was with a lot fewer clamps. The whole system came pre-welded to include the tips, which were aligned perfectly. The center adapter pipe was required to bolt everything up even though I have a stock DP. It took me about 1 hour by myself to get everything on the car, aligned, and tightened up.

Here is the sound clip. Cold start, valves briefly close, valves open back up, then some light revs.