GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Autox/Track/Weekend car?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I’m still for the GR86
I see the new GR86 offering an affordable, sub $40k entry to true sports car dynamics without the massively painful fallout of an incident with a higher priced car. Savings on tire costs too compared to a heavier high powered car.

I recently acquired a 2009 JCW Cooper S as a recreational car. Ironically not going to track or autocross it.. just wanted a fun manual transmission car. It’s neat but I prefer the GR86, ND Miata and even the GTI over it for any track duty.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My familial obligations mean that my track time is fairly limited (1-2 days a month), so unfortunately wouldn't pay off great for me right now... But that's a great idea in general!

Limited to 1-2 a month. Lol. That's not limited. Try 1-2 a year

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Limited to 1-2 a month. Lol. That's not limited. Try 1-2 a year
I'm including autox in there, not sure I want to spend all the money on consumables otherwise! I'm fairly lucky to have several good tracks within a couple hours drive so I only need a 1 day pass at home!

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I remember following @Cliff Golf R HPDE prep thread before he jumped to a 981 Cayman S. Probably has some good insight on MK7->981 if he still logs on at all. My vote would be new BRZ/GR86 and a membership at whatever track near you has lots of member days.
981 GTS, actually, which I bought before used Porsche prices headed into the stratosphere. And I responded to the OP's DM.

If I was shopping for a new car right now, I would probably wait for the next gen M2. If you like the looks of it (which I don't) then the manual Supra 3.0 would also be a great choice.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
981 GTS, actually, which I bought before used Porsche prices headed into the stratosphere. And I responded to the OP's DM.

If I was shopping for a new car right now, I would probably wait for the next gen M2. If you like the looks of it (which I don't) then the manual Supra 3.0 would also be a great choice.
Thanks Cliff! I have a deposit down on a 981 GTS right now. I don't think I can stomach the new M2... The styling is just... Well, make up your own minds I guess. The supra ADMs are ridiculous too.
4v2y1d56rzp91.jpg
0075c5159286035220abe047787b9091.jpeg

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Thanks Cliff! I have a deposit down on a 981 GTS right now. I don't think I can stomach the new M2... The styling is just... Well, make up your own minds I guess. The supra ADMs are ridiculous too.
Look on the bright side: it doesn't have the M4 grill.

There aren't too many 981 GTS for sale any more. They are selling for less than their original MSRP, which makes them a relative bargain when compared with the 981 GT4 cars which are selling for $10k or more over their original MSRP. Porsche is also adding substantial market adjustments to the 982 GTS 4.0 which takes the price of those cars well over $100k.

I'm very happy with mine. About the only thing I wish it had was Carplay support. You can add it to PCM 3.1 equipped cars, but you have to open up the radio to install a card.

Cayman GTS-2200009-20220220.jpg

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No debt (besides a very low Apr mortgage and a 0% loan on my solar panels that don't make sense to pay off), on track to retire in my 50s even at current salary level... I have enough I can splurge a bit now! Plus I have a third garage spot that needs filling.
I really want to do a heat pump water heater and solar panels, but so many of the companies seem shady as fuck. Did you have a good experience? Who did you use?

And I'd go for a Cayman S.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I really want to do a heat pump water heater and solar panels, but so many of the companies seem shady as fuck. Did you have a good experience? Who did you use?

And I'd go for a Cayman S.
Used local companies for both. Went for one of the bigger companies for the solar. They were... Ok.

Heat pump ac/heat was another medium size local company. They did a decently good job. You know they're trustworthy when you're famously critical electrical inspector says "yeah just show me the downstairs one, I know these guys they do good work".

My HVAC folks advised against the heat pump water heater because I have indirect oil for it, and that I keep the oil burner for backup heat since it's still in good condition. Would have preferred to have all the space back but it does make sense.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For me C8 or M2 would be top of my list for cars that tick the boxes of being able to go from extreme track work to great looking weekend / summer car.
I personally would wait for the C8 Z06, that would be my #1 pic.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Any idea what the autox / track split would be for this car? Everything you listed would be mega fun either way.

My unsolicited thoughts:
C8 is a track monster, heard it fumbles a little at autox due to the short 2nd (spends lots of time doing the 2-3-2-3-2 dance)
ND is mega fun, but after driving the Fiata a ton this year I'd probably chose that over an ND these days.
GR Corolla will be a "last of its kind" car, but a lot of crossover with your golf R IMO.
I've heard the C7 GS described as the "most fun production car for autox, period" and I tend to agree. It's an ST* car out of the box.
I'd pass on the M2/ CT4-V. Too much weight

In summary, I'd go Cayman all day. Someone finally built an STU Cayman at the national level and it was a rocket at nationals, and a great looking car to boot. Unlike the ND/ Fiata it won't get swallowed up on track either. A few alignment tweaks between autox / track and it'll be a weapon at both. I'd argue that short of a GT3, I'd take any Cayman over a 911.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Any idea what the autox / track split would be for this car? Everything you listed would be mega fun either way.

My unsolicited thoughts:
C8 is a track monster, heard it fumbles a little at autox due to the short 2nd (spends lots of time doing the 2-3-2-3-2 dance)
ND is mega fun, but after driving the Fiata a ton this year I'd probably chose that over an ND these days.
GR Corolla will be a "last of its kind" car, but a lot of crossover with your golf R IMO.
I've heard the C7 GS described as the "most fun production car for autox, period" and I tend to agree. It's an ST* car out of the box.

In summary, I'd go Cayman all day. Someone finally built an STU Cayman at the national level and it was a rocket at nationals, and a great looking car to boot. Unlike the ND/ Fiata it won't get swallowed up on track either. A few alignment tweaks between autox / track and it'll be a weapon at both. I'd argue that short of a GT3, I'd take any Cayman over a 911.
I have also heard that about the C8, Probably not the best thing for autox.

Also, the Cayman is a great car, but if you're looking at a mid-engined car for fun stuff, it would be tough to beat a Lotus. I personally don't fit in them super well, but I have seen them do some pretty incredible things on track and at Autox.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

My unsolicited thoughts:

Any info on the STU Cayman build? When STR was announced years ago, I bought a Boxster to prep for the class and they excluded it at the last minute.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Any info on the STU Cayman build? When STR was announced years ago, I bought a Boxster to prep for the class and they excluded it at the last minute.
I wish I did. STU this year was interesting. Last year after the Fiata came in and (although basically being disqualified) dropped time on the class that woke a lot of people up. People seemed to come back this year with builds much closer to the edge of the ruleset