GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new 2019 GTI - purchase questions

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
Been looking at MK7.5s on and off for the past year or so. My area has some very aggressive pricing on leftover new 2019 GTI's - best quote I've gotten OTD is roughly 17% off msrp. Trim in question is base model + DSG (Canada), no DAP, so fairly stripped-down electronics-wise.

I currently drive a relatively new current gen Subaru Crosstrek, which will be handed down to my family. Even though I don't "need" a car asap, the current pricing/performance/driving dynamics for an automatic car can't be beat in this segment. Really just looking for something more fun and engaging to drive and the aggressive pricing is definitely pushing me toward this decision. I was interested in the MK8 GTI/R, but lack of tactile buttons/knobs and buying first year new gen is a dealbreaker for me.. Couple of questions:
-How is long term reliability? Looking to own this for 10 years. No plans on modding or tuning. I change the fluids roughly every 6-8k kms, so preventative maintenance isnt much of a worry for me. Beyond DSG fluid flush, any big ticket items (electrical, timing chain, powertrain, turbo, etc.) I should be aware of maintenance-wise?
-Resale value? Say, 5-7 years when it is out of warranty? I get that this is technically a 2 model year old car...
-Haven't test driven the car (I dont want run around to multiple dealerships and have to shake people's hands in this pandemic). How's the front head/legroom? I'm 6'2, 36' waist. I have sat in a couple friends' Golfs/Golf R's before and I find it decently roomy, similar to my Subaru's headroom.

Thanks in advance

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
No mod plans then 2019 is where it's at for the best warranty available.(edit:apparently not in Canada though, sowwy)

Most of the big ticket items you'll read about failing on here are going to be tuning related. The car is pretty reliable with normal maintenance and a lack of driver abuse. Unless you're some kind of bad person with a lot of negative karma.

The GTI absolutely will not hold any significant value looking 10+ years down the road. They're not rare, and they depreciate like a torpedoed boat out of the gate.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Couple of questions:
-How is long term reliability? Looking to own this for 10 years. No plans on modding or tuning. I change the fluids roughly every 6-8k kms, so preventative maintenance isnt much of a worry for me. Beyond DSG fluid flush, any big ticket items (electrical, timing chain, powertrain, turbo, etc.) I should be aware of maintenance-wise?
-Resale value? Say, 5-7 years when it is out of warranty? I get that this is technically a 2 model year old car...

Welcome to the forum.

I am with my second MK7 and its one of the most reliable GTI platforms. This is one of the most discussed topics and a search should bring up plenty of information. Some most discussed threads for reference.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-reliability.349250/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/set-me-straight-on-the-mk7s-reliability.352763/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/gti-reliability.329059/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/buying-the-17-gti-sport-is-vw-reliable.338169/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/your-mk7-year-mileage.367653/

Resale value of a GTI might not be a big plus but i did not lose a lot of money when i sold my first MK7.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
No mod plans then 2019 is where it's at for the best warranty available.

In Canada, the VW warranty has always been 4 years - 1 more year than USA before People's Warranty. But now we pay the price for that by continuing to get the same 4 years while you guys get 6 years (though we did get the better Rabbit).

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
17% off MSRP for a base spec'd GTI that you don't plan to tune sounds like a very solid option especially if you can pay cash or stack a near 0% APR. Resale is pretty horrid but higher mile, well cared for un-modified specimens are rare and folks will pay extra for it down the road especially if MK8 sales are less than stellar. People will be looking for end of cycle MK7* instances.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I came over from an outback and have zero regrets. I understand that my GTI won’t have the resale of a nice used Subaru but the driving dynamics are worth it to me. Go for it! Also I’m 6’3” with a 36” waist and love the feel of my base model cloth seats and have no headroom issues with the seat all the way down.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If you're thinking long term reliability and resale value my guess is that you are on a fairly tight budget and cost conscious which is not a bad thing.

That said, I would keep the CrossTrek in your case as those things are pretty much bullet proof and made in Japan. GTI/Golf-R are cars that are hit or miss.. you might get lucky and get a super reliable car, but especially the GTI drops in value like a rock falling off a cliff so it may not be a wise decision financially. Until you buy it and drive it around some, you won't know whether it's a reliable car or not.

GL with your decision.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. You should be able to purchase one for under 30K and I don't think the resale value is that good on any 10+ year old car that sold for under 30K new. Unless it's very low mileage.

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
Thanks guys for the responses! Very valid points and excited to see such a strong GTI fanbase! Always loved GTI's but have been afraid of VW reliability

-Current Crosstrek will still stay in the immediate family - it will be my dad's daily driver. He's finally ready to get rid of his old Honda, hence the GTI is back been on my radar. No plans to sell the Subie for a long time.
-With resale value, I guess I'm more concerned at the 6-8 year mark, in case it doesn't turn out as reliable as I thought or if I'm itching for something else. Seems if I keep it stock and don't beat it up it should hold well. Hoping also since the 19's are at the end of the mk7 life cycle, VW should have ironed everything out.

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
I came over from an outback and have zero regrets. I understand that my GTI won’t have the resale of a nice used Subaru but the driving dynamics are worth it to me. Go for it! Also I’m 6’3” with a 36” waist and love the feel of my base model cloth seats and have no headroom issues with the seat all the way down.

Great to hear from a fellow subie driver! Love everything about the Crosstrek except for the anemic engine and slushbox cvt. Really been itching for something with better driving dynamics that won't break the bank!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If you buy low miles and dont mod and keep maintenance up, the car should be able to last long. As far as head room. Im 6’ and my dad rode in it 6’4 and he said it had a lot of head room. As far as belt size you will be fine at 36. There are little to no cars that have good resale after 10 years. Its a great choice of a car and you will be happy. Welcome

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
you should fit (and there will even be room behind you (not huge but enuf for most people to use). These are reasonably fast cars. Not super fast but enough fun to let yourself hoon.

Mud

coming up on 3 yrs with mine and I really like this car

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys for the responses! Very valid points and excited to see such a strong GTI fanbase! Always loved GTI's but have been afraid of VW reliability

-Current Crosstrek will still stay in the immediate family - it will be my dad's daily driver. He's finally ready to get rid of his old Honda, hence the GTI is back been on my radar. No plans to sell the Subie for a long time.
-With resale value, I guess I'm more concerned at the 6-8 year mark, in case it doesn't turn out as reliable as I thought or if I'm itching for something else. Seems if I keep it stock and don't beat it up it should hold well. Hoping also since the 19's are at the end of the mk7 life cycle, VW should have ironed everything out.

You have two competing priorities, optimizing reliability and maintaining resale value. If you are willing to ignore depreciation, get a new 2019. If you want to add minimizing depreciation to your priority list, you're going to need to compromise. You can give up a little reliability (which generally decreases with age) for less depreciation by buying a clean used 2018 with the 6 year warranty. For maximum reliability, keep the drivetrain stock.

Subarus have had their major issues over the years but they are generally reliable and built to last until they rust away. VW's can last a very long time when maintained properly, and they are very easy to maintain yourself. VW's will nickel and dime you over time. It's generally small stuff. If you are comfortable working on the car yourself, this kind of stuff is just an annoyance, and the price you pay for such a high value performance platform. The user base is incredible, with millions of loyal owners (I'm on my 7th VW and I'm not an anomaly) that are willing to help you.

I suggest that you look at more preowned options, and prioritize your priorities.

Welcome to the forum.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I guess I’m the only one that has replaced multiple Subaru engines in my time? Failed electrical bits mostly switches, bushings lasting <15k, transmissions shitting the bed in epic style, crap interiors, the list goes on.

People act like Subaru is as reliable as a 90s Honda or Toyota, which is simply absurd.

The GTI/R is an enthusiast’s car. Fun to drive but requires someTLC and keeping up on maintenance. If you want something that you drive, neglect, and be bored with, keep the Subaru. You want a GTI, buy a GTI. If you are looking to buy a car for resale value, go get a Tacoma or 4Runner. Then again, I’m not 24yo with a flat brimmed hat and a monster energy In hand... so wtf do I know, right?

Last edited:

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Great to hear from a fellow subie driver! Love everything about the Crosstrek except for the anemic engine and slushbox cvt. Really been itching for something with better driving dynamics that won't break the bank!
FWIW I ditched the outback because the CVT was failing and they didn’t want to cover it under the extended warranty. I actually cross shopped the cross trek and agree that the engine is anemic. I traded in a B6 Passat with 130k on the outback and had a Mk5 Jetta that I sold with 110k. VWs can go the distance, they just need care. (Like any modern car).