GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

neuspeed wheels vs winter/pot holes

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel a lot better about putting them on and running all year with them. I go tomorrow to put a set of 245/40/18 Conti control contact sport srs. The only thing I'm worried about it rubbing the fuel filler neck. Anyone have that issue with the 245 the wheels are 8.5.
You'll be fine. It'll be close, but should clear the filler neck. I have 255/40 on mine (8.5 width et 45) and have a few millimeters of clearance to the neck.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Never visibly bent or damaged my 18x8.5 Neuspeeds in over 50k+ miles and counting some hard pothole hits and 35 trackdays generously using curbs, always running moderately meatier 245/40 tires though.

The paint on the other hand... has taken a beating.

yeah I got my wheels ceramic coated and still picked up two paint chips this winter.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
You'll be fine. It'll be close, but should clear the filler neck. I have 255/40 on mine (8.5 width et 45) and have a few millimeters of clearance to the neck.
Thanks makes me fell better about it. Ill post pics after i get new tires installed this afternoon.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
yeah I got my wheels ceramic coated and still picked up two paint chips this winter.
Yeah I will say that from 2-3 feet, all four of my wheels have notable chips in the paint. Oh well.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
My car has 18x8 ET 45 with 245/40s and it was rubbing the filler neck cover just a bit. Had maybe 2 mm clearance at rest.
Using 7mm spacers for clearance and to impress the chicks.

For winter driving, your best bet is stock wheels or 17s that clear your brakes. Taller tires give a better ride and more rim protection. Also, you're not as worried of losing an expensive aftermarket wheel. Pro Tip: avoid driving at night in the winter. Easier said than done, but you are playing Russian Roulette with monster potholes lurking just below some of those innocuous looking puddles.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just to add to the above.

If you drive at night don't take roads you aren't familiar with from during the day.

Don't follow people closely, lots of drivers pay zero attention while driving so they will plow right through a hole. If you're too close you won't get to dodge it.

My Neuspeeds have 20k on them, holding up a-ok.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
My car has 18x8 ET 45 with 245/40s and it was rubbing the filler neck cover just a bit. Had maybe 2 mm clearance at rest.
Using 7mm spacers for clearance and to impress the chicks.

For winter driving, your best bet is stock wheels or 17s that clear your brakes. Taller tires give a better ride and more rim protection. Also, you're not as worried of losing an expensive aftermarket wheel. Pro Tip: avoid driving at night in the winter. Easier said than done, but you are playing Russian Roulette with monster potholes lurking just below some of those innocuous looking puddles.
Thanks i dont think im actually touch the fuel filler neck but it is really close like you said maybe 2mm clearance probably going to get like 10mm spacers for it just ro feel save and to get the rear wheels more flush with the fender like the fronts

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Just to add to the above.

If you drive at night don't take roads you aren't familiar with from during the day.

Don't follow people closely, lots of drivers pay zero attention while driving so they will plow right through a hole. If you're too close you won't get to dodge it.

My Neuspeeds have 20k on them, holding up a-ok.
Good advice unfortunately i have to drive at night but even though i drive the same road everyday ive seen where coming home they fine next morning big pothole. Denver has really dropped the ball on keeping up with streets.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
20210410_182058.jpg

Here with the new tires 245/40/18 continental control contact sport srs

Last edited: