GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need "sport" alignment suggestion for another brand AWD hot hatch

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
I have a 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T tuner car. The Hyundai Kona was designed by a Audi engineer and has a very very very close rear suspension like the Golf R. All the geometry and pick up points are very close too. It is a slow poorman's Golf R. IF it has been lowered and sprung differently. Pics and mods below. I am looking to see what you Golf R guys are doing for "sport" alignment specs. I am running NEG 1.5 on all four corners with that setting is max on the front with camber bolts. I DO NOT want a rotating car in my car as it is in a curb jungle. Without looking I think I am NEG 1/16 rear toe. My car in fairly neutral now with suspension tuning and adding 100lbs in the rear that really balanced my car out surprisingly well. I guess am looking for front toe adjustments and what the personality will be with each. I know there a couple of AutoXs here that may give me insight without trying 4 different settings. Thanks.

Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, Wagner Veloster N racing intercooler, AeroTech spring rubbers (lots/tuned for progression) for increase spring rate and fine tuning front to rear tuning, Lowered 2.25 inches, sub-frame collars front & rear, Whiteline i30 N semi ball front anti-dive bushings (pinned for safety), (Pinned) Veloster N rear swing arm bushings, Whiteline Hyundai Multi-Link rear poly bushings and Whiteline rear camber arms, Whiteline rear aluminum toe arms, front camber bolts, 1.5 neg camber on all 4s. N-Line lower trans mount with both rubber voids filled with epoxy clay. Frozen Rotors/Slotted, PowerStop Z23 brake pads. Ultra Racing strut brace that I reinforced by about 30%. Front ARP wheel studs, front 12mm wheel spacers, Wink 5 panel racing mirror, Lightweight 12.5 lbs AGM battery for spring/summer/fall. Soon to be installed Whiteline Front Roll Center/Bump Steer-Correction Kit/HardRace Roll Center Kit, and boxed front and rear control arms.

Interior
- 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport front seats. Schroth 3 point, anti-dive, DOT approved racing harness

Audio
- 4) Audio Frog speakers, Alpine amp, AudioControl LC7

Wheel and Tire
- 18x8.5 silver rims and 235 45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 +

IMG_9875.jpg
IMG_7478.JPG

Last edited:

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
wow that is a heck of a way to install a harness
DOT approved anti-dive Rally 3 harness and I sent in 8 picture to approve the install from a Schroth engineer. The rear mounting point is 2 inches higher then my shoulders.

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
I've just never seen one like that before
I have it mounted to the rear OEM shoulder harness bolt point. If the rear mounting is lower then your shoulders and the "seat is not approved" to handle the harness at a low mounting point, which the Hyundai seat is not. You will crush your spine on an impact. That is why I sent in pics to their engineer to double check my install. My spine is too import to me. ;)

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Can't help you with the suspension question, just wanted to say that's a nice car and seems like you got some serious hardware on there. Just out of curiosity, what does this thing run in the quarter at your stage of modification? 12s?

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
Can't help you with the suspension question, just wanted to say that's a nice car and seems like you got some serious hardware on there. Just out of curiosity, what does this thing run in the quarter at your stage of modification? 12s?
Ha ha, not even close. It has a tiny turbo. Stock is 175hp/195tq, My stage 2 tune is having misfires the tuner can't tune out, says it is something in my car specific. He is in Washington state, I am in Minnesota. The Stage 1 is guested at 230hp/235tq. Hope to get a hybrid turbo this year. Manifold/turbo are one/yuk. Then 325hp/340tq.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’m at zero toe front and rear. Car felt great today during autocross, and really don’t have any gripes at 80mph on the freeway, or driving in town.

Whats the harness for? I mean I know what it’s “for”, but why did you go with it?

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
You can't drive fast and know what your car is doing when you are wedging your legs against the console or the door and holding on to the steering wheel trying to stay planted. This even with a bolstered sport seat. Once you drive with a harness, that's all it takes. You get so much more car input through your rear when you are planted.

I was a big autocrosser when I was younger. A child and a hobby home Audi repair business and home print shop took me away from cars for about 25-30 years. I am 59 now. Here is picture of my caged and gutted VW Sirocco engine where I took 1st place at BIR here in Minnesota against some tuned turbo 5 cylinder Audi's back in the late 80's. Back in the early days turbos where nothing like they are now a days. The only Audi's I couldn't beat were the two shorty Sport Quattro's Also my Audi Group 2 replica I built, minus the motor, that was another one of my daily's. Never autoxed the Audi, because I did not want to damage the airdam/flare kit.

C79981CE-B089-493C-B991-4228BBF4277B_1_105_c.jpeg

6FA2E1E1-0FD0-480C-92A1-B50B9F5C39A6_1_105_c.jpeg

415917CE-FC6D-4059-B449-4F2F21D0D869_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can't drive a fast and know what your car is doing when you are wedging your legs against the console or the door and holding on to the steering wheel trying to stay planted. This even with a bolstered sport seat. Once you drive with a harness, that's all it takes. You get so much more car input through your rear when you are planted.

I was a big autocrosser when I was younger. A child and a hobby home Audi repair business and home print shop took me away from cars for about 25-30 years. I am 59 now. Here is picture of my caged and gutted VW Sirocco engine where I took 1st place at BIR here in Minnesota against some tuned turbo 5 cylinder Audi's back in the late 80's. Back in the early days turbos where nothing like they are now a days. The only Audi's I couldn't beat were the two shorty Sport Quattro's Also my Audi Group 2 replica I built, minus the motor, that was another one of my daily's. Never autoxed the Audi, because I did not want to damage the airdam/flare kit.

View attachment 241517
View attachment 241518
View attachment 241519
Classy 👍

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
I’m at zero toe front and rear. Car felt great today during autocross, and really don’t have any gripes at 80mph on the freeway, or driving in town.

Whats the harness for? I mean I know what it’s “for”, but why did you go with it?
If your seats are approved, you can bolt somewhere in the lower rear seat area, if they are not approved the C pillar rear shoulder bolt hole IF it is higher then your shoulders. This one of two harness's that are DOT approved and tested for anti-dive. The other is from Schroth's sister company, TAKATA.

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/rallye-3-asm/tuning-Harnesses

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
If your seats are approved, you can bolt somewhere in the lower rear seat area, if they are not approved the C pillar rear shoulder bolt hole IF it is higher then your shoulders. This one of two harness's that are DOT approved and tested for anti-dive. The other is from Schroth's sister company, TAKATA.

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/rallye-3-asm/tuning-Harnesses

I've never felt the need need to wedge my legs anywhere, and still know what my car is doing, so I'll stick to what has been working for me. Not knocking what you have going on, was just wondering why you need it. So are you tracking your car, or getting back into autocross?

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
I've never felt the need need to wedge my legs anywhere, and still know what my car is doing, so I'll stick to what has been working for me. Not knocking what you have going on, was just wondering why you need it. So are you tracking your car, or getting back into autocross?
I feel naked without a harness, helps me out big time and my Hyundai seats I put in are tight in my back. I still get G'ed out of them a bit without a harness.

Yes, in do time, I have a questionable clutch/s just showing sign of slipping, so autoX will have to wait a bit. Finally some semi high torque clutches are coming out for the Hyundai DCT (dry clutch). Also DCT tunes will be available this summer, as Hyundai 7 speed tuning is smooth for the average driver, but Hyundai spent 2 hours on "sport driving" coding. The new Kona N has a 8 speed wet clutch and I had money down on one 1 year before I found out all the Kona N test mules were 2WD, so I pulled my money.

I like AWD hot hatches, I am done with FWD street cars. I know I am speaking to the choir on this dedicated VW R section. I like to be pushed&pulled through a corner rather then just pulled. At some point I might add a LSD if I can find one that fits. I really would like to drive a MK8 R. Just too expensive for me and I like quirky looking cars. The R is a bit homogenized for me. A R would be for sure the smarter move, as I could have 450-500 semi-safe HP, where I am stuck with 325 HP(which is still liveable) without pulling my motor for a built shortblock.

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
bro you care a lot more about your Hyundai than lot of people do about their gti so I respect what you did to that thing. Hyundai has come a long way from being the "Vizio" of cars and so has KIA. for what its worth, you tucked the wheels very nicely... they look like my neuspeeds. good luck with your car journey

Mainia

Car(s)
2018Hyundai Kona AWD
bro you care a lot more about your Hyundai than lot of people do about their gti so I respect what you did to that thing. Hyundai has come a long way from being the "Vizio" of cars and so has KIA. for what its worth, you tucked the wheels very nicely... they look like my neuspeeds. good luck with your car journey
Thanks, it's my Frankenstein. There is a lot of work and tuning done with the suspension. That name for my car coming from a car guy at work that had a tuned Golf R and now traded up to a S3 tuned. Ha Ha.

Last edited: