GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nc gti where are you at?

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
Unitronic and APR are the two biggest names for tuning, both will pick up about 100hp (crank) or about 85-90whp. They offer features like eliminated CEL for high flow downpipe and removal of the speed governor. Once you get a downpipe you re flash to stage 2 and make even more power. The tune also counts as a credit towards is38 or stage 3 if you decide to go further. Several dealerships in our area are also tune dealers so your warranty isn't really an issue.

JB1 and power module are "piggy back". They offer about 1/2 to 1/3 the power increase and none of the other options a tune gives you, but are "don't void your warranty".

There's tons of info on this site about all the options but one ride in a tuned car (APR or otherwise) and you won't concider anything but a tune

Has anyone here used Hendricks or Keffer for APR stg 1? Thought about going to Hendricks to talk to them about it since they are down the street. I want to wait another 1000 miles before I do anything but know I would have them do it then with little convincing.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I bought my car at VW South Charlotte and they tune Uni, but I got sick of waiting for the 2016 tune to be released so I had GMP tune APR

nuSchule

Ready to race!
So, I was looking at APR Stg 1. Is it comparable to APR and what makes it tremendous? Coworker has Unitronic stg 1 and it is pretty quick.

It's hard to compare the two without knowing all the variables, but if you look at APR stage I compared to an out-of-the-box JB1 map 1 setting at 4.8, APR is going to make more power and torque.

I say the JB1 is a tremendous value for a few reasons:

1.) At-home installation.
2.) Map 6 settings gives user the ability to manually adjust boost by RPM to account for supporting mods, fuel, weather conditions and clutch life.
3.) It's about 1/2 the cost of most tunes. Especially when you factor in most* shops are going to charge labor on top of the cost of the tune itself. Yes, some tuners offer dongles so the user can do this at home... if you want to pay the additional $150 (on average).

Like Jake mentioned, there are several advantages to tunes over piggyback units and vice versa, so it really comes down to preference.

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the inputs, guys. It's difficult to make a choice. So many positive attributes with do little drawbacks.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
There's a VW show at the state fair this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
Not a GTI guy but I'm from Unionville near Charlotte. I just bought a '17 R DSG and am new to this forum. Will keep an eye out for up coming gtg