GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NAR 2021 Maps Available for Download for MST2 (MIB2)

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
If VW would let people show up/order a card and they could make that card work I'd be all for it. It would be annoying but you could just update every two or three years.

But since that's not the case... I say download the maps and do the update yourself at no cost. I'm not going to pay VW and then have to do additional work to make what I paid for work.
I've only ever had to swap the SD card with car turned off and verified the updated maps are active. No further steps required.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've only ever had to swap the SD card with car turned off and verified the updated maps are active. No further steps required.
I think you and I had this discussion, sort of, in another thread. Your experience is not going to be the experience of most people. It should be. VW should not have instituted the SD card CID lock or only activated the FEC for maps of a certain version on many radios... but they did. If your experience was typical there wouldn't be thousands of posts across several forums with people unable to update their maps.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but I know that they were doing it at least through 2020ish. That's when I bought my MIB 2.5 from the dealer. It came with 2018/2019 maps loaded (Discover Pro, so no SD card required). I went to update to the 2020/ 2021 maps and found that I couldn't, my unit had the FEC for 2018 maps, haha. So I had to get the lifetime map update FEC activated.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I think you and I had this discussion, sort of, in another thread. Your experience is not going to be the experience of most people. It should be. VW should not have instituted the SD card CID lock or only activated the FEC for maps of a certain version on many radios... but they did. If your experience was typical there wouldn't be thousands of posts across several forums with people unable to update their maps.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but I know that they were doing it at least through 2020ish. That's when I bought my MIB 2.5 from the dealer. It came with 2018/2019 maps loaded (Discover Pro, so no SD card required). I went to update to the 2020/ 2021 maps and found that I couldn't, my unit had the FEC for 2018 maps, haha. So I had to get the lifetime map update FEC activated.

Interesting, and agreed, this does sound a bit familiar. I didn't do any VCDS coding past the serial number change thing for the upgraded 8" headunit (one with buttons) but it's the standard MIB 2 unit in the 2017.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
for us Discover Pro/MHI2-havers, just an fyi that the 2024 maps for NAR are available now on mibsolution (as of a few weeks ago). I just finished loading them with no problem. I even ran the update entirely while driving and nothing bad happened lol. the only issue I had was the ~12GB or so zip file hosted on mibsolution was corrupted somehow so I had to download it from the mega.nz link.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
for us Discover Pro/MHI2-havers, just an fyi that the 2024 maps for NAR are available now on mibsolution (as of a few weeks ago). I just finished loading them with no problem. I even ran the update entirely while driving and nothing bad happened lol. the only issue I had was the ~12GB or so zip file hosted on mibsolution was corrupted somehow so I had to download it from the mega.nz link.
If you don't mind me asking, what build is it?

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I’m not sure if this is the build number but 0356?

IMG_1150.jpeg

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
New maps for MST2 would be nice. I went to Peek'n Peak Ski Resort over the long weekend and the GPS took me to the middle of nowhere despite typing in the address as per the resort website. Don't know how VW maps can so wrong compared to Google Maps.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
New maps for MST2 would be nice. I went to Peek'n Peak Ski Resort over the long weekend and the GPS took me to the middle of nowhere despite typing in the address as per the resort website. Don't know how VW maps can so wrong compared to Google Maps.
Ohhh that's easy... a mistake in the database exists (blame that on whoever you want) but there's no process to report the issue to VW (of whoever they are using for their map data) so it only gets corrected if the issue is found by that navigation data provider, and corrected on their end.

Google on the other hand can get reports (and the app will even ask for them) in real time. And due to a monetary incentive it's in their interest to make those corrections in timely manner. VW (actively) doesn't have an incentive to correct map issues, they don't even have an interest in selling the updates. They straddle the line between difficult/impossible to get in the states, and they are free outside the states which takes away some of the room to complain.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
that was quick, we just got 2024! was the 2024 one already outdated, possibly?

not to derail this thread even more but, yesterday I found a link to the V24 Gracenote database for Europe and after adding skipRegionCheck into the metainfo file (not sure if this was even necessary), it loaded fine and now some of my music gets album art on bluetooth, woohoo! it’s missing a lot of stuff but I’m surprised at some of the songs it has a picture for. I may try the one specifically for the US to see if there’s any difference. anyway, thought someone may be interested.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
that was quick, we just got 2024! was the 2024 one already outdated, possibly?

not to derail this thread even more but, yesterday I found a link to the V24 Gracenote database for Europe and after adding skipRegionCheck into the metainfo file (not sure if this was even necessary), it loaded fine and now some of my music gets album art on bluetooth, woohoo! it’s missing a lot of stuff but I’m surprised at some of the songs it has a picture for. I may try the one specifically for the US to see if there’s any difference. anyway, thought someone may be interested.
I've downloaded a few Gracenote databases but for whatever reason never uploaded them. Of course I'm usually playing music through AA so album art is not an issue, but it does bother me when I would see some strange placeholder art for R&B or Hip-Hop instead of the real art (or better yet no art if there is none in the DB).

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I've downloaded a few Gracenote databases but for whatever reason never uploaded them. Of course I'm usually playing music through AA so album art is not an issue, but it does bother me when I would see some strange placeholder art for R&B or Hip-Hop instead of the real art (or better yet no art if there is none in the DB).
yeah fortunately for this database at least, there are no cheesy placeholder pictures of genre or the artists, it seems that if it doesn’t have that particular album then it’s blank.

what would be really cool is to write a program that takes all your Spotify/whatever playlists, gets the album art, then inserts that into the database. who knows maybe that already exists.

git443

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 e-Golf
For NAR MHI2 Discover Pro, it looks like a new map update was added for 2024-2025. Haven't gotten a chance to grab it and test it out, but thought it was worth mentioning.
I just downloaded the file "P376_N60S5MIBH3_NAR_NT_Q3.23_2024-2025_02310036 FULL" and I was disappointed to see that it only contains USA maps.

But also it only contains a folder called "Mib1" and no "MiB2" folder like it says in the metainfo file.
1708640714072.png