GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mysterious 4th gear whine/hum

cablekibble

Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Before my car's tranny blew up, the synchros whined like a mf. You could hear them spin up as you moved the shifter. It was most pronounced in 4th gear, especially under load. So I guess don't worry unless it gets louder

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Before my car's tranny blew up, the synchros whined like a mf. You could hear them spin up as you moved the shifter. It was most pronounced in 4th gear, especially under load. So I guess don't worry unless it gets louder
Good to know..the volume hasn't increased at all. Though it did increase once i put my aftermarket DP on...but hasn't gotten any louder since then.
Mine is 100% based on throttle input, if im coasting in neutral at 80kmh or whatever, there isn't any noise, but if I shift into 4th and apply throttle it whines.

Just learned to ignore it honestly lol..5 years so far with the same exact noise.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
UPDATE - July 7 2023, the mysterious whine is GONE!! 4.5 years of this whine, it drove me sick every day.
The other day I changed my brake pads and rotors so I figured I should probably do a brake fluid flush...dropped it off at a shop and told them to do the clutch fluid too, fuck it.
Driving home and then to work on the highway, it didn't whine a single time. I am assuming this was something to do with the clutch fluid...I have no way of explaining this but I am sooooooooooo happy it has stopped.