GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
He doesn't necessarily need a new engine. The cylinder 3 coil wasn't grounded and causing misfiring which broke the ring land on that cylinder. It's possible he can just hone cylinder 3 and install a new piston. Someone competent needs to check it.
Would that be a plausible alternative explanation to what caused the failure?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would that be a plausible alternative explanation to what caused the failure?

Absolutely. With the information that the dealer gave you that you posted since the coil on cylinder 3 wasn't grounded it likely wasn't creating spark and ultimately broke the piston ring land.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Twist in the plot. Contacted a local dealer about a 19 GTI. Explained all the details of engine failure. They can give me $11K for the trade in. Should I take it?

Via phone or in person?.. I've lost count how many times a dealer told me they can give me x amount, and when I actually showed up it was the old "well I spoke with my service manager, and we can only do this much". It's all about getting you in the door..

But yes, if they actually follow through, I'd jump on it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There are no free lunches. If they give you more than you think the trade is likely worth, you're taking it up the @ss on the price of the new vehicle, financing terms, or a combo.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
He doesn't necessarily need a new engine. The cylinder 3 coil wasn't grounded and causing misfiring which broke the ring land on that cylinder. It's possible he can just hone cylinder 3 and install a new piston. Someone competent needs to check it.
this is a decent guess.

on topic of wtty and denial (which I believe this is a legit denial even if Jim is right)

it's easy to say VW has to prove it, but until you win in court you are w/o a car or have to pay up front. All the mfr has to do is withhold the work (which they will) they do have the upper hand.

.02 Mud

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I was underwater coming out of one of my cars once and rolled the debt into a new loan - it felt bad at the time but I just paid an extra $50 on the loan every month and I was well ahead of schedule when the time came to get rid of that car. only ~3 years later.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'm saying most dealerships will say new engine because it's less labor costs for them to just pull and replace especially when dealing with warranty work. With this not covered under warranty sure if the cylinder wall damage isn't that bad rehoning the cylinder is an option. But there is cost associated with a tear down and rebuild and a lot of dealerships will price you out the door because they'd rather just pull and replace and not deal with having a bay filled for more profit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm saying most dealerships will say new engine because it's less labor costs for them to just pull and replace especially when dealing with warranty work. With this not covered under warranty sure if the cylinder wall damage isn't that bad rehoning the cylinder is an option. But there is cost associated with a tear down and rebuild and a lot of dealerships will price you out the door because they'd rather just pull and replace and not deal with having a bay filled for more profit.

They priced him out the door on the cost of a new engine also at 20K.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I feel bad for the OP here, but fuck this thread.

1) absolutely inferior tune
2) suspect maintenance from OP, no offense
3) suspect stripped/not grounded coil pack. makes NO sense
4) pay to play. My GSW is tuned, but also paid off. PAY TO PLAY people.

Once again, sorry OP. I do think there is more than enough sound advice in this thread, though. Used motor, indi shop. SELL RUNNING CAR AND RUN AWAY. Best of luck on the repairs.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
1603975914464.png

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I feel bad for the OP here, but fuck this thread.

1) absolutely inferior tune
2) suspect maintenance from OP, no offense
3) suspect stripped/not grounded coil pack. makes NO sense
4) pay to play. My GSW is tuned, but also paid off. PAY TO PLAY people.

Once again, sorry OP. I do think there is more than enough sound advice in this thread, though. Used motor, indi shop. SELL RUNNING CAR AND RUN AWAY. Best of luck on the repairs.

The trade in is OP's likely best option as it doesnt seem like he can be without a car while the repairs are being done. Trade it is maybe marginally less financially sound but wins in convenience hands down.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The trade in is OP's likely best option as it doesnt seem like he can be without a car while the repairs are being done. Trade it is maybe marginally less financially sound but wins in convenience hands down.

I'd even say the trade is more financially sound if he can get it as it was presented. He stated he owes $16k, they said they'd give him $11k. He'd loose $5k on the trade, presumably rolling that over into a new loan. Fixing it, at a ballpark he was looking at a $3400 engine, and $2700 in labor from a local shop. Just over $6k to fix. He might be able to do a little bit better shopping around for both the engine and shop, but I wouldn't imagine too much better.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I'd even say the trade is more financially sound if he can get it as it was presented. He stated he owes $16k, they said they'd give him $11k. He'd loose $5k on the trade, presumably rolling that over into a new loan. Fixing it, at a ballpark he was looking at a $3400 engine, and $2700 in labor from a local shop. Just over $6k to fix. He might be able to do a little bit better shopping around for both the engine and shop, but I wouldn't imagine too much better.

And provided he doesn't tune it, he has a working GTI for at least 72k miles.