GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Modified Stock Air Box

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
As some of us know the stock airbox is restrictive. It has a plate with grates inside it and is supposed to stop rain water, snow, rodents etc. from getting in. Where the airbox draws the air in is actually blocked directly in front of it and it draws air from the passenger side.

I just took the plate grate out and used my drill to allow direct air flow into the airbox from in front of it and it definitely made a great difference! Super easy mod, I am going to be trying a AFE dry flow filter soon to get some better flow and filtration.

I am also going to be trying either the VWR R600 or the APR intake and have the stock airbox modified with the AFE dynoed VS VWR R600 or APR intake dynoed soon. I love having a pretty intake but for $450 vs $60, I want to know the actual number and difference.

I will make sure to post results. I am located in Denver, CO so I have a 5280 elevation and the weather is cooling off a bit.

rscott4563

Ready to race!
That would be great if you were able to do back to back dyno tests of the modded stock box with oem filter, hi-flow filter and then the aftermarket intakes.

To be a real apples to apples test though it would have to be the same dyno, same day and same temps (as close as you can get so not cold morning first run for one and then hot engine 6th run for another).

Really looking forward to you're results and fingers crossed the modded airbox performs as well as the super expensive full intake solutions!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Is the grill/plate right before the maf?

Mk7 does not have a MAF sensor, so it has nothing to do with "air straightening", turbulence etc.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
That would be great if you were able to do back to back dyno tests of the modded stock box with oem filter, hi-flow filter and then the aftermarket intakes.

To be a real apples to apples test though it would have to be the same dyno, same day and same temps (as close as you can get so not cold morning first run for one and then hot engine 6th run for another).

Really looking forward to you're results and fingers crossed the modded airbox performs as well as the super expensive full intake solutions!

I will be doing modified stock airbox with OEM filter, modified stock airbox with AFE filter and maybe the APR intake. Hopefully someone will be able to donate a VWR R600 for an afternoon

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I believe it uses a MAP sensor and a TMAP sensor which also measures temp. MAF's are more of a pain in the ass because you have to calibrate the MAF curve stored within the ECU table, if you change or modify your intake, to accurately measure your g/s. With MAP/TMAP, the system is intelligently and dynamically discovering the g/s and this tricky calibration is not needed. This makes the car more mod friendly in this respect, to intake changes, but unfortunately, replacing the stock MK7 intake does very little for this car. For example, the stock MK7 intake, same as on the GTI and 1.8 TSI, is all that is needed for Golf R stage 1 and stage 2 numbers (~350 HP/~370TQ at the crank).

The MK7 ECU also has the wideband reporting, so fuel is dynamically correcting to hit fuel targets, which are a bit leaner than one might expect even on other seemingly similar DI platforms that are getting a little older in the tooth. This is mainly because there is no open loop at WOT. The ECU is always in control. This is how the NS PM can alter boost without altering fuel. The ECU can completely compensate for it in real-time using short term fuel trims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAP_sensor

Last edited:

dream3r

Passed Driver's Ed
You're wrong, yo must be? I'm looking at the TFSI map curve now and it's a PWM one not a 5v one, it must just sit further back pre turbo???

Map sensors are old tech manifold pressure is modeled using a formula.