GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI, Rocco

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

zef

Drag Racing Champion
https://forums.vwvortex.com/#/topics/9038273?page=1
The exhaust (and accompanying diffuser) in question.
On a side note, the primary reason I use golfmk6 over VWVortex is because the formatting isn't the absolute worst garbage I've ever seen.
Actually, this site and its sister sites have some of the most amazing formatting and editing I've ever seen in a forum. I love formatting text because I'm a fucking nerd, so this is great. Only thing missing is strikethroughs

That guy has been trying to sell that thing forever. I was tempted awhile ago too. Definitely a cool setup.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
That guy has been trying to sell that thing forever. I was tempted awhile ago too. Definitely a cool setup.
It's very cool. However I was talked out of it. It's a SS exhaust, the way it's listed as "Ti" omits the fact that it's just the tip, though from the pics I was already skeptical. Oh well. I have an SPM catback on order and I'll probably do some custom tips because, much as I don't like gaudy, those exhaust tips had me in love

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Installed a couple mods:
  • APR solid shifter bracket
  • 034Motorsports dogbone mount
  • DeAutoLED interior lights (partial set)
Replaced my missing fuel door and side marker bulb, and I broke the transmission lock pin for adjusting my shifter 🤦🏼‍♂️ Don't even know how because I wasn't trying to shift it whilst engaged.

Gave my car a thorough wash. Also waxed a car for the first time with my buffer I've never used. Few things:
  1. Fuck that buffer; it's wicked old and the paint is like... Sticky. It's just coming off on everything, including my car. A wet microfiber cloth takes it off fine it's just frustrating, and I needed to use gloves the whole time and be conscious of what I touched with my silvery gloves.
  2. It didn't come out too bad; it wasn't a huge improvement in shine even after I hit it with a damp microfiber cloth, but it made the paint look a lot more even.
  3. I have so many rock chips. I totally expected this, though.
100% need a new paint job. Most body panels have some extent of chipping, scratching, or discoloration, and I've generally just been wanting a fresh coat. Repainting it Candy White will feel like a waste of a couple thousand dollars (fuck cheap paint jobs), but the white is really growing on me. I'm gonna research some other popular stock whites, particularly 3 stage colors white very slight pearl. I don't want anything spectacular, I just want a white with lots of depth to it. If anyone has one in mind let me know. The other color I'm considering is the Mk7 silver, that color is killer.

Also, found a new dent in the top on my driver quarter panel and I have no idea what it's from 😡 it's a larger one (luckily!) with some light surface scratches, so it should be easily pulled.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Forgot to post pics. Also, that dogbone mount is amazing, it smoothed out the whole feel, from idle to driving. The stock mount just couldn't handle the stiffer engine and trans mounts. And removing the poly bushing, which I believe to be at least 3 years old, wasn't that bad either.
IMG_20200615_115443.jpg

Before
IMG_20200615_122815.jpg

After (left) before (right)
IMG_20200615_125618.jpg

After
IMG_20200615_125628.jpg
IMG_20200615_125634.jpg

No idea what on earth could've done this, it's 1.5m off the ground

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Installed a couple mods:
  • APR solid shifter bracket
  • 034Motorsports dogbone mount
  • DeAutoLED interior lights (partial set)
Replaced my missing fuel door and side marker bulb, and I broke the transmission lock pin for adjusting my shifter 🤦🏼‍♂️ Don't even know how because I wasn't trying to shift it whilst engaged.

Gave my car a thorough wash. Also waxed a car for the first time with my buffer I've never used. Few things:
  1. Fuck that buffer; it's wicked old and the paint is like... Sticky. It's just coming off on everything, including my car. A wet microfiber cloth takes it off fine it's just frustrating, and I needed to use gloves the whole time and be conscious of what I touched with my silvery gloves.
  2. It didn't come out too bad; it wasn't a huge improvement in shine even after I hit it with a damp microfiber cloth, but it made the paint look a lot more even.
  3. I have so many rock chips. I totally expected this, though.
100% need a new paint job. Most body panels have some extent of chipping, scratching, or discoloration, and I've generally just been wanting a fresh coat. Repainting it Candy White will feel like a waste of a couple thousand dollars (fuck cheap paint jobs), but the white is really growing on me. I'm gonna research some other popular stock whites, particularly 3 stage colors white very slight pearl. I don't want anything spectacular, I just want a white with lots of depth to it. If anyone has one in mind let me know. The other color I'm considering is the Mk7 silver, that color is killer.

Also, found a new dent in the top on my driver quarter panel and I have no idea what it's from 😡 it's a larger one (luckily!) with some light surface scratches, so it should be easily pulled.

Maybe get someone that does paint correction or detailing to have a second look at it. Far cheaper than getting a good new paint job? Also, pros can do a much better job of touching up areas.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Maybe get someone that does paint correction or detailing to have a second look at it. Far cheaper than getting a good new paint job? Also, pros can do a much better job of touching up areas.
For sure. I'd never drop the money on a good paint job without getting some quotes on both corrections and full coats. Down the line I'm definitely interested in a new color (well, new shade) so I wanted some recommendations on shades in case it's worth it to do it now. I figure if corrections cost half of a paint job I'll just go for the paint job. Definitely getting a ceramic coat either way, though.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
For sure. I'd never drop the money on a good paint job without getting some quotes on both corrections and full coats. Down the line I'm definitely interested in a new color (well, new shade) so I wanted some recommendations on shades in case it's worth it to do it now. I figure if corrections cost half of a paint job I'll just go for the paint job. Definitely getting a ceramic coat either way, though.

Have you seen mk6_mata on IG? I think it's a wrap but looks like what you might be thinking about. Mercedes had one called diamond white metallic that was good. Not crazy pearl or cream looking.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
My original plan was a wrap, then I decided might knock out corrections and color at the same time with a paint job. That said, corrections + wrap would be cheaper, and I can confidently do it myself to make it even cheaper, and then I don't need a ceramic coat 🤔 thanks for the suggestion!
And that white does look nice... Biggest concern there is with stock colors I'd want the dealership to do it, and having a Mercedes dealership paint my car with a Mercedes paint sounds expensive, if they'll even do it. Wrap is probably my best route

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
IMG_20200615_175347.jpg
IMG_20200615_190847.jpg

Not a full detail, but I vacuumed the floors and cleaned some trim. Seats could be cleaned, especially the back, all the leather needs to be cleaned, and I want to redo some of the trim.

Not that this is going to stay clean for long. It's going to be really nice this week, and that means no doors as often as possible. I gotta run across the state to pick up my UniConnect+ cable (I could've shipped it but I wanted to support local tuner shops, ya feel?) and I'll probably make the trip sans doors.
I want to get paint on these half doors I made, as well as deburring and some slight modifying, but I have more important things to do with parting out my other car and repairing this one.
Chain tensioner will be done next week when I get my tools, as well brakes as soon as they're in (supposedly in stock the 23).

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Did a bunch more stuff today:
  • Pulled the headrests off the back seat (idea shamelessly stolen from @Joe_Mama )
  • Fixed my broken center vent
  • Picked up my UniConnect+ cable from DTM Autowerks
  • Ordered Spulen charge pipes
IMG_20200617_164235.jpg

DTM Autowerks is an hour from my place, and I decided to take the ride in style...
Excessive rubber smells, but it could've been the freshly paved asphalt. My car also felt ever so slightly down on power for the trip there, but I might be crazy. It might also be that I don't have as much weight so I'm getting less traction, because the perceived loss of power was mostly when the boost hits in 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, I'm gonna connect up the UniConnect tomorrow and hopefully install NLS and LC, as well as get my tune updated if there's been any update since July 31, 2015... I say if but I know for a fact those features were added 2016 so there must've been at least a couple updates.

Spulen pipes early next week, probably while I'm doing my tensioner as I assume I'll need to remove the pancake anyway for that job. Tools arrived today, so once I get my load leveler back I'm all set to go.

I'm definitely more than a little nervous messing with timing. Replacing an engine is one thing; everything is literally just plug'n'play, and the hardest part is using the right units of measurement whilst torquing everything down.
But directly messing around with the same thing that affects how the valves sync up with the pistons scares the ever-living shit out of me. It's like the very first time I did an oil change and I was so worried I was gonna do something wrong and blow my motor 🤣 I never had anyone show me this stuff so it was super nerve-wracking.
I know I can do it, albeit maybe with some swearing and wrench-throwing, I'm just nervous 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's a lot of words. Have a "battle of the _Ti" pic to wrap it up
IMG_20200617_190031.jpg