GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My first half-year with the DSG

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Every car I've ever owned has had a manual transmission--until now. I wanted a Golf R, badly, and couldn't wait until the end of summer so I jumped in line for one of the first 500 R's in the US. That meant I was going to get mine with the DSG, just like every other one getting the first 500 imported. I was a bit anxious about it, even though I'd read really good things about this transmission. Helping me with this choice was the fact that my wife would be getting (left) knee surgery soon, and a car without a clutch pedal just made more sense in this situation.

At first, I thought "hey, this isn't so bad," and just focused on all the other great things the R had to offer. And occasionally I'd be caught a gear or two too low, which didn't thrill me. But I began to "learn" the transmission a little more. Knock the shift lever into "Sport" if I was thinking about accelerating quickly--yes, that makes the gas in the tank shoot straight out of all four tailpipes, but it kept the car in just the right gear to scoot about rather nicely; you can alway put it back in "Drive" when you're just going to be chugging along in traffic. I acclimated to shifting with the paddles (rather than my old six on the floor) after a bit, and now not only do I really like doing it, it's become something that I don't even think about anymore, just like rowing a stick-shift. I've read some complaints that the paddles are too small to use effortlessly when in a turn, but then again shifting with a stick on the floor in the middle of a turn is almost impossible to do anyhow.

One thing I loved from the start is that the transmission never felt "disconnected" from the driving wheels like virtually every other automatic I've been forced to drive felt. This feels just like a manual (well, because it is, sort of): take your foot off the gas and the car slows down! Woo hoo!

For a bit, I tried throwing the shifter into "Manual Mode," banging up and down through the gears, but soon it dawned on me that as often as not, if I left the trans in "Sport" it'd shift pretty much as I would be doing by hand. And being totally honest, the transmission shifts quicker than actuating the clutch with my left foot ever could do. So now, aside from the occasion pull on the paddles, I let the engineers at VW do the shifting for me, allowing me to focus on other things.

Now I know why GP drivers opted for this set-up, dumping their clutch pedals, years ago. OK, there's not the feeling of "connection" with the drive train which a full-fledged manual gives you, but driving the R gives me enough of that anyhow, DSG or not.

And to top it all off, I don't have to listen to my car screeching before stalling out at the hands of some 18 year old valet driver who was never properly taught how to drive a stick.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as heartbroken about passing on waiting for a manual trans Golf R as I thought I'd be.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Great impressions. Thanks for that, I've had a DSG GTI for a few years now. Love it.

oldorange

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to do so.

I love manual transmissions and was set on getting one also. I would drive the R 90% of the time, but the 10% that it would be with the Mrs would lead to issues I just know as she is not confident in a non-auto car.

Great to read you are living with and loving the DSG.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I was the same way when I pulled the DSG plunge and same impressions for testing it for first time. At first, I loved it for a month or 2, then got really bored of it, but now i'm ok with it. Basically I have love/hate relationship. However, my next will be a manual for sure, I have gotten the hint of a DSG transmission, also some newer cars automatic's are becoming smoother and more responsive, like the ZF 8 speed on BMW's and the 6 speed on ford explorer's, I don't see why Ford need to switch 10 speed dual clutch (which turns out as unreliable) other than stupid CAFE regulations, 6 speed is already good enough.

I'm just sad the improvements of cars/transmissions nowadays are just at much faster pace than before, which is totally unnecessary imo. I'm glad i'm from Europe where the car I rent or borrow is 98% of chance is going to be manual when I can visit home. :)

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
The DSG transforms any Golf, my GTD is mega with the DSG box, if you're feeling a bit lazy leave it in D and lop along, if you're feeling frisky either pop it into sport mode or use the paddles, the box is seamless, why would you want a clutch?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
The DSG transforms any Golf, my GTD is mega with the DSG box, if you're feeling a bit lazy leave it in D and lop along, if you're feeling frisky either pop it into sport mode or use the paddles, the box is seamless, why would you want a clutch?

I personally like the involvement of manual much better. But in certain cases there are somethings I don't miss about manual, like stop and go traffic, which kills the fun. I don't really hate automatics, both have their pro and cons.

Having previously owned a manual Golf GTI and now a DSG GTI, it is indeed a different experience with practically the same car. I also keep it on sport mode all the time (exception on S mode for transmission).

Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
After bumper-to-bumper Seattle traffic I was done with manuals.

My '07 GTI was my first DSG. I was very happy. Missed the AWD.
Now I'm even happier!

I love the DSG burp out of the exhaust under hard acceleration too!

shane1

Great write up as I've been driving stick for 15 years, going dsg has me nervous but I feel it's the right, over, more so after reading your impression

Primordial

Yeah good write up mate. Echoing everyone else, I never though I'd drive an auto. Until that fateful day I borrowed a new (at the time) MK6 GTI with DSG. I was converted pretty quickly needless to say!

OP, being a naturally manual driver, you should know that shifting gears mid corner is a no-no anyway. One of the brilliant things about the DSG is you can! The blip downshift mid corner rarely upsets the car. I've opted for the paddle extensions since my old GTI for a bit of mid-corner shenanigans!

These are the best ones around at the moment (IMO):

S2T - Pricey, screw on type
USP - Cheaper, stick-on type

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I like DSG, particularly how it does rather give a car two characters.....bumble about v lazily or have some fun enjoying quick seamless shifts.

But it has its downsides......

For me its just not as immersive as a manual, cant help but feel whilst it couldnt be termed better, a manual box R would be more interesting for my tastes and no doubt a bit more of a challenge to drive well.

Having no torque converter is almost as much of a curse as it is a blessing in some respects......Ive had two DSG equipped cars and both were not v smooth at low speeds, particularly manovering and there was a fair amount of step-on lag from a standstill...particularly with the wet clutch 6 speed as it builds in clutch slip to smooth out take offs...with limited success.

From my own experience they dont mate all that well with TDI motors...they seem to accentuate the low rev lag these motors tend to suffer from (far less an issue with TSI power), making getting off the mark quickly all the more challenging.

Also in most cases (R aside) DSG serves to make the car leas economical and emit more CO2. To adopt a DSG equipped GTD i knew I was set to lose several mpg and have to pay higher company car tax....so as much as having a DSG probably wpuld have suited the mileage and day to day driving I undertake, taking the manual was rather a no brainer.

I also happen to love the Golf ball gearlever and the manual does have a nice shift which lends to its performance oriented nature.

That all said and done, in the R the DSG box makes it on paper quicker, cleaner and you do get that oively thump through the tailpipes so is probably worth going DSG for that lovely noise alone :)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Al, this is almost exactly what I always told (you) about the DSG. ;)

Only one difference: On track I can't let the DSG shift for itself, even not in the "S" mode. There you definitely need to put the stick into the manual position and shift it by the paddles. But then it's imo the perfect paddle-shifted sequential transmission for the racetrack.

To say it generally: the DSG is able to do everything that a classic AT can do and eveything that an MT can do. But both even a little bit better... :)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
After bumper-to-bumper Seattle traffic I was done with manuals.

My '07 GTI was my first DSG. I was very happy. Missed the AWD.
Now I'm even happier!

I love the DSG burp out of the exhaust under hard acceleration too!

I drive in DC traffic, and traffic really kills the manual fun. Why i'm bummed with dsg is i couldn't get any fart noises unless i drive like a complete asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk