Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Ouch, glad to hear everyone was okay.

In terms of is it totaled that depends on one question, was there frame damage? If the answer to that question is no then go ahead and get it fixed, it's all cosmetic anyways. If the answer to that question is yes there is frame damage, don't let them try to repair.

Also remember you can choose the shop that does the repairs. Feel free to have it taken to a VW dealer and have them do the inspection to ensure there's no frame damage. If there is frame damage tell the insurance you want it done at the dealer, they'll surely total it out.

Edit: I just took a closer look at those photos. There's no way the frame isn't damaged.
One tidbit here while we are discussing - The MK7 is a unibody car, there is no "frame" to be damaged or not damaged. The insurance company does an assessment in conjunction with the autobody as to whether they can fix the damage to the unibody.

Secondly, even if the "frame" (or what would conventionally compose the frame) is damaged heavily there are still people out there who can fix it, it's jut that insurance usually wont touch it.

Source: Insurance totaled my Mk7 R in a left turn on green scenario.

@OP make sure the autobody FULLY tears down the vehicle before they make their determination on totaled or not, unless they know from the partial teardown that it will be totaled. Keep an open dialogue between you, the autobody, and the insurance agent handling your claim.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I would be frustrated if they did this to me. Because all they did is waste time and got your hopes up.
Well like I saw a few others in this thread mention, I really did not want the car back after the accident.
It was about 3 weeks later once I had actually come to terms with it, and was working on diminished value, that the called me back and said never mind.
And I was actually relieved. I went and bought the identical car in MK7 form a day later lol.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
In NJ once they start to repair under an insurance claim, they’re obligated to complete the repair. They cannot total it after they start. Had a vehicle catch fire at my old job. The damage wasn’t bad, engine harness and some cosmetics. Insurance totaled since they didn’t want to risk finding more and more issues along the way.
Are you sure about this? It doesn't sound logical. I know they would be obligated to pay shop for work done but I can't imagine being forced to fix it. Yes they would have to still pay you a fair settlement (in addition to shop cost).

We were in one and it would have been better for us and the insurance Co. if it was totaled. Other persons Co. paid but it took about 3 months and the shop found a good bit of hidden damage.

OP's case will be different because of the at faults person not having insurance. I would try and go after them. Not asking for one million dollars but pain/suffering/inconvenience, Even if they don't have $ now they may come across it.

Not a lawyer but I have needed legal counsel several times

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
You can always argue FOR a total loss. You don't have to listen to the adjuster give their explanation as to why it's not totaled and then just say "okay." I've done it before. I was only about $1,500 away from a total loss, but I got them to change some parts around to put it over that amount.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Are you sure about this? It doesn't sound logical. I know they would be obligated to pay shop for work done but I can't imagine being forced to fix it. Yes they would have to still pay you a fair settlement (in addition to shop cost).

We were in one and it would have been better for us and the insurance Co. if it was totaled. Other persons Co. paid but it took about 3 months and the shop found a good bit of hidden damage.

OP's case will be different because of the at faults person not having insurance. I would try and go after them. Not asking for one million dollars but pain/suffering/inconvenience, Even if they don't have $ now they may come across it.

This was straight from the body shop owner we used to use, I have no reason not to believe him.

We had another car that was brand new in a front end wreck. Initial estimate was…. Low. When insurance found out about a $25k supplement they tried to total it out but couldn’t do it because of the work being started.

Now that doesn’t mean my information is correct, just what I was told.

JakeySan92

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE W/ PP/LP

Yeah, I’m not letting them get away with me paying $1000 deductible, missing work and the emotional damage I’m currently “dealing” with. Had a panic attack getting in a friends car to go home from the accident, and on the way a tow truck pulled out in front of us going 50 on a side road. Missed them by literal inches. I don’t think I’m gonna be able to drive for a while. I slept maybe 30 minutes last night and kept hearing my tires screeching and the impact sound, also the smell of the smoking air bags.. *sigh* glad I didn’t spring for that new clutch, turbo kit and wheels/brakes like I planned. Though the $1800 for the water-pump I replaced last month certainly swayed me to wait on that. 🙂

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Glad your ok man could have been way worse then it was. About a month ago my brother was at stop sign went to make a left turn and another person ran the 4 way stop. My brother ended up hitting im the right between the doors on the envoy luckly he was in our 01 ram with 3rd gen hd front bumper so the only damage to our truck was the bumper and light bar but messed the envoy up pretty good. Other driver tried to run but as soon as he seen he was right behind him pulled over no drivers license expired temp tags no insurance. Waited 2 hours for the police to show up only to have them call and say they weren’t coming and would only have gave the other driver a ticket.
It took him my brother a few days before he could drive by himself again.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
These are pictures of my friend's brand new Cayman that was hit at a similar intersection in 2007 and he too was spun around to the opposite corner. Pictures were from a crappy cellphone so sorry for the resolution.
1654825669002.png
1654825689977.png
1654825737988.png

The funniest thing was that his drink stayed in the cup holder unspilled. My friend was at the intersection waiting to turn left and, before the opposing traffic cleared for him to make the turn, some kid in a truck just went through the red light and into the Porsche right behind the driver's door.

They did NOT total the car and it took them about 6-8 months to fix it. They practically took the whole rear end of the car apart and fixed it. I would have gotten rid of it or pleaded to have it totaled but he kept it and is still driving it. This was in Arizona so not sure who his insurer was. I believe the fix was less than the cost of the car since it was brand new at just under $100k and they didn't want to pay that out. He had it nicely optioned. He says they fixed it fine and he can't tell it's ever been hit and it still drives great.

You can never tell what the insurer will do.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
These are pictures of my friend's brand new Cayman that was hit at a similar intersection in 2007 and he too was spun around to the opposite corner. Pictures were from a crappy cellphone so sorry for the resolution.
View attachment 251958View attachment 251959View attachment 251960

The funniest thing was that his drink stayed in the cup holder unspilled. My friend was at the intersection waiting to turn left and, before the opposing traffic cleared for him to make the turn, some kid in a truck just went through the red light and into the Porsche right behind the driver's door.

They did NOT total the car and it took them about 6-8 months to fix it. They practically took the whole rear end of the car apart and fixed it. I would have gotten rid of it or pleaded to have it totaled but he kept it and is still driving it. This was in Arizona so not sure who his insurer was. I believe the fix was less than the cost of the car since it was brand new at just under $100k and they didn't want to pay that out. He had it nicely optioned. He says they fixed it fine and he can't tell it's ever been hit and it still drives great.

Being it was new he could fight for new parts. If used parts are an option, you will get them whether you want them or not.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
View attachment 251958View attachment 251959View attachment 251960

2007 didn't have a parts shortage like we do today. Most insurers are totaling cars for lesser damage. The money paid in a rental car and then parts shortage plus labour shortage makes it not worth for them to fix it.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
2007 didn't have a parts shortage like we do today. Most insurers are totaling cars for lesser damage.
Just saw someone have their 15 year old SUV totaled because someone knocked the bumper off. Insurers are totaling everything right now, it's crazy.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
One tidbit here while we are discussing - The MK7 is a unibody car, there is no "frame" to be damaged or not damaged. The insurance company does an assessment in conjunction with the autobody as to whether they can fix the damage to the unibody.

Secondly, even if the "frame" (or what would conventionally compose the frame) is damaged heavily there are still people out there who can fix it, it's jut that insurance usually wont touch it.

Source: Insurance totaled my Mk7 R in a left turn on green scenario.

@OP make sure the autobody FULLY tears down the vehicle before they make their determination on totaled or not, unless they know from the partial teardown that it will be totaled. Keep an open dialogue between you, the autobody, and the insurance agent handling your claim.
Colloquially the unibody is considered the "frame". I don't know of a single car outside the SUV/truck market that is still body on frame.

What I was referring to was the difference in being able to replace some parts (bumpers, trunk, fenders) vs the body shop actually have to pull and make repairs to the unibody. You are right that insurance generally wouldn't touch that process, nor should OP allow them to. The car simply wouldn't be right.

My car was rear ended almost two months into my ownership of it. Thankfully the only damage was to my hatch, rear bumper, front bumper and hood (I was sitting in neutral so I rolled forward). All parts that could be replaced and were replaced. No damage to the frame though I had it taken to VW to be sure.