GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MT engine stall issues

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
Looking at a 2019 manufacturer buyback where the original owner insisted the vehicle kept stalling. Dealer claims ECM update corrected the issue. Given this would be an out of state cross country purchase that I cannot test drive is that something I should be worried about? I do have to make an entry into fairly quick moving traffic from a standing stop each morning so having a GTI stall would be highly problematic.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Looking at a 2019 manufacturer buyback where the original owner insisted the vehicle kept stalling. Dealer claims ECM update corrected the issue. Given this would be an out of state cross country purchase that I cannot test drive is that something I should be worried about? I do have to make an entry into fairly quick moving traffic from a standing stop each morning so having a GTI stall would be highly problematic.

if that’s the only thing scaring you - buy the car.

it was a software defect on the 2019’s that caused a bunch of buybacks. The issue has been resolved and all those buybacks are perfectly good cars, with the people’s warranty to boot.

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
I would get something with AWD if I needed to quickly accelerate from a stop. Considered the R or Alltrack?

It's not a 0-60 race but a 100-yd gap in moving traffic at 40 mph comes pretty quickly if you stall entering a highway. Dealer said the title will note it is a manufacturer buyback, not that it would matter as long as the problem was fixed.

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
This car has about 2400 miles so apparently the original owner gave it some time and had enough and opted for the buyback. I imagine it was flashed when the original owner reported the problem and it he/she was not satisfied. What more could the dealer have done after the buyback to ensure the issue was fixed? I'm sure the dealer doesn't drive it everyday to see if the problem returned. But from what I can gather reading the other discussions it doesn't seem to happen when entering traffic from a stop, it's seems to happen when slowing down and coming to a stop...still problematic though as having your car stop when everyone behind you thinks it should be going is not a good thing.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
If the flash was done then it is most definitely fixed. The only concern is that the title is now branded as a manufacturer buyback, which will tank your resale value. They better be offering a significant discount and you should plan to keep the car for a long time otherwise you will lose a lot if you try to resell it anytime soon.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
This car has about 2400 miles so apparently the original owner gave it some time and had enough and opted for the buyback. I imagine it was flashed when the original owner reported the problem and it he/she was not satisfied. What more could the dealer have done after the buyback to ensure the issue was fixed? I'm sure the dealer doesn't drive it everyday to see if the problem returned. But from what I can gather reading the other discussions it doesn't seem to happen when entering traffic from a stop, it's seems to happen when slowing down and coming to a stop...still problematic though as having your car stop when everyone behind you thinks it should be going is not a good thing.

it’s most likely that the buyback was performed before the SW update was released. Before they HAD a fix, everyone with the issue would bring it into the dealer and the dealer couldn’t reproduce it, or just didn’t have anything to try. Lemon law = 3X for same issue in <1 year, and/or or 28 days+ out of your hands.

if the price is good and you like the car otherwise I think it’s a good choice

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
What would be a fair price for a 2019 SE with a defected title?

this market is insane for used cars. A 2019 SE with a clean title would go for the price of a leftover 2020 GTI on a lot.

the good thing for you here, is that it’s a defective title. I don’t know enough to say how bad that impacts the price but I’m sure others will have input

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
But I’ll say this - if you end up not getting this car, but are looking at used cars <45K miles, you are almost certainly better off buying new with the 0% financing deals they have right now. Used cars are just too much money right now