GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving into a Golf

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hello Everyone,

My name is Bradley, and I'm new to the VW community. I grew up on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, and I've been obsessed with hot hatchbacks for years. I've owned high HP Honda hatchbacks, Veloster Turbo, RSX Type S, and most recently a fully modded stage 3 Focus ST. I sold the car yesterday and I'm shopping for either a Golf GTI or Golf R.

I've been doing tons of research on these cars, and so I finally went to the dealership today to check them out in person. I talked numbers on a GTI and R, and wanted to see if you all would help me with this decision.

OTD number for the R - $44,608

OTD number for the GTI Autobahn - $34k

Are these acceptable numbers? Is the R worth the extra 10k? I'm hoping the input here will help me to make a decision. I'll likely be picking the car up this Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Welcome to the forum.

There are several GTI vs R threads with plenty of similar discussions. If you ask a R owner, he / she would say the extra money is well worth it and a GTI owner would say the opposite. Have you test driven both of these vehicles back to back - that should help you big time in this scenario.

Finally, you cant go wrong with either of these vehicles and it narrows down to personal choice.

Regarding your quote, there is plenty of info in Post your deal thread in Purchasing section. Also compare your price before tax and title as different places have different tax rates and other fees.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It sounds like you will mod it and you'll probably spend quite a bit to get the GTI up to the performance level of the R so you might as well start with the R. Plus you'll have the AWD to put that power down.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Very likely you can negotiate the price of the GTI down a good bit.

Very unlikely to do the same with the R so the gap between them could be more than 10 grand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the feedback guys. Definitely want the R, just not the payment. In the long run I feel the R may hold it's value a bit better, and it's just 10k... Over the life of the loan it's not a huge difference.

I really like the GTI, and the analog gauges are a plus in my book. I feel the digital cockpit may have some type of issue to deal with down the line somewhere. I've been doing IT for 6 years and can say that monitors in general have wash out, ghosting, fading, etc. after extended periods of time.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Over the long run, the R holds its value far better than the GTI. That makes the extra $10k easier to swallow.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
44.4K! No offense but that could buy a lot of different slightly used nice cars......sounds like you don't really have a brand loyalty? E63 Merc, Audi S4,S6,S5, S7. I hate the biggest OTD.....depreciation!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
44.4K! No offense but that could buy a lot of different slightly used nice cars......sounds like you don't really have a brand loyalty? E63 Merc, Audi S4,S6,S5, S7. I hate the biggest OTD.....depreciation!

I thought the same thing, but this is just what they cost. The 6/72k warranty makes up for the difference in my opinion. Not having a warranty with something like an S4 along with the hike in maintenance costs, something in the higher tier luxury seems to be out of reach.

I've looked at M3s, S4s, etc. I just feel with no warranty and cost of ownership it just wouldn't be worth it. Oh, and insurance...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I thought the same thing, but this is just what they cost. The 6/72k warranty makes up for the difference in my opinion. Not having a warranty with something like an S4 along with the hike in maintenance costs, something in the higher tier luxury seems to be out of reach.

I've looked at M3s, S4s, etc. I just feel with no warranty and cost of ownership it just wouldn't be worth it. Oh, and insurance...

It's your money do what makes you happy.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
It was worth the extra for me. I get compensation from work for my car, though. I think I make like $10-20 a month after everything is said and done, they design it so the sales staff can have trucks and not be broke.