GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Most annoying thing is that aftermarket parts are not cheaper, so that the rabbit hole would be easier to go down! [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent via Pide Piper compression app

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've only had mine for 2 days now, so the most annoying thing is having to drive it gently during the break-in period. Oh, and since my average mileage over the last 2+ years has been around 850/mo, it's going to take FOREVER!

That, and the all-season tires that it came with. I can already tell I won't like them once I start driving this car properly.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I've only had mine for 2 days now, so the most annoying thing is having to drive it gently during the break-in period. Oh, and since my average mileage over the last 2+ years has been around 850/mo, it's going to take FOREVER!

That, and the all-season tires that it came with. I can already tell I won't like them once I start driving this car properly.
Yeah, a little bit of a heads up... My first mod was to change out the crap tires my car came with. I did that when the odo read ~1200 miles.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yeah, a little bit of a heads up... My first mod was to change out the crap tires my car came with. I did that when the odo read ~1200 miles.

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Supersports on my last car, and my GTI came with Pirelli Cinturato P7, so there's definitely going to be an adjustment period. But, since I live in MI and Winter is Coming, my first tire purchase will have to be a set of Blizzaks or WinterContacts.

I still have the SuperSports in my garage, but they're mounted on 17" wheels with the wrong bolt pattern. :mad:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I had a set of Michelin Pilot Supersports on my last car, and my GTI came with Pirelli Cinturato P7, so there's definitely going to be an adjustment period. But, since I live in MI and Winter is Coming, my first tire purchase will have to be a set of Blizzaks or WinterContacts.

I still have the SuperSports in my garage, but they're mounted on 17" wheels with the wrong bolt pattern. :mad:
The good news is two fold... #1 those Pirelli Cinturato P7 are actually pretty decent in the snow. Granted they obviously aren't dedicated winter tires either.

#2, if you want some snow wheels/tires they do pop up in the classifieds both here and on vwvortex.

Here's the wheel/tire classifieds here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

and on vwvortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?804-5x112-Classifieds

Something to keep in mind, if you have the performance package (big red "GTI" brake calipers up front) the smallest wheel size you can go is 17". Even then it can be very tight. IMHO OEM wheels are the best bet if 17's are your goal for the winter months.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The good news is two fold... #1 those Pirelli Cinturato P7 are actually pretty decent in the snow. Granted they obviously aren't dedicated winter tires either.

#2, if you want some snow wheels/tires they do pop up in the classifieds both here and on vwvortex.

Here's the wheel/tire classifieds here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

and on vwvortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?804-5x112-Classifieds

Something to keep in mind, if you have the performance package (big red "GTI" brake calipers up front) the smallest wheel size you can go is 17". Even then it can be very tight. IMHO OEM wheels are the best bet if 17's are your goal for the winter months.

Thanks for the info! Mine does indeed have the performance package, so 17" is the smallest I can go. I may give the Cinturatos a chance once the snow starts falling, but since we're supposed to have a pretty snowy winter, and I live on a steep hill, in a neighborhood that's low on the priority list, in a city that isn't that good about plowing to begin with... Still, it's good to know I won't be completely F'd if the snow starts falling before I get them.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Thanks for the info! Mine does indeed have the performance package, so 17" is the smallest I can go. I may give the Cinturatos a chance once the snow starts falling, but since we're supposed to have a pretty snowy winter, and I live on a steep hill, in a neighborhood that's low on the priority list, in a city that isn't that good about plowing to begin with... Still, it's good to know I won't be completely F'd if the snow starts falling before I get them.
In that case I'd highly recommend investing in a set of winter tires. The Cinturatos are good for light snow, beyond that they are still a all season tire. Jack of all trades master of none.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

I agree, the break in is the hardest. Just an FYI, since you have the Sport model and it has bigger brakes make sure you investigate before you buy rims to mount the snow tires on. I ran Blizzaks on my VR6 GTi and they were awesome in the Illinois Winter.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I agree, the break in is the hardest. Just an FYI, since you have the Sport model and it has bigger brakes make sure you investigate before you buy rims to mount the snow tires on. I ran Blizzaks on my VR6 GTi and they were awesome in the Illinois Winter.

I've had 2 different sets of Blizzaks over the years, and they're easily some of the best winter tires available. A lot of people swear by Nokians, but the price and availability (unless your local tire store stocks them in your size) makes them less attractive to me. I may try a set of WinterContacts this time around, since Tire Rack rated them comparable to the Blizzak WS80, for $30/tire less.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a set of used 17"s to fit over those bigger brakes; the cheapest ones on Tire Rack are $100/each, so I'm hoping to find some for less.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Right now I'm not interested in the hassle of swapping, we'll see how this Winter season goes and if I really feel the need for a full blown Summer tire next Summer on the MK7.

My MK5 has Conti DWS 06's and they do a pretty good job in snow/ice and aren't too bad in the Summer.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Right now I'm not interested in the hassle of swapping, we'll see how this Winter season goes and if I really feel the need for a full blown Summer tire next Summer on the MK7.

My MK5 has Conti DWS 06's and they do a pretty good job in snow/ice and aren't too bad in the Summer.

Do it, you won't regret it (assuming you have a garage or someplace to store your alternate wheels/tires). Because I pretty much have to have winter tires to get home if it's snowing (live on a steep-ass hill), I didn't see the point of driving on all-seasons when I could get better summer tires for the same price. A set of Pilot SuperSports made such a huge handling improvement on my old car that I'll never go back to driving on all-seasons. It's more than worth the hassle, especially if you spend a few bucks on a decent floor jack, and maybe a $40 electric impact gun from Harbor Freight (don't laugh, it actually works), you can swap all 4 tires in 30 minutes or so.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Do it, you won't regret it (assuming you have a garage or someplace to store your alternate wheels/tires). Because I pretty much have to have winter tires to get home if it's snowing (live on a steep-ass hill), I didn't see the point of driving on all-seasons when I could get better summer tires for the same price. A set of Pilot SuperSports made such a huge handling improvement on my old car that I'll never go back to driving on all-seasons. It's more than worth the hassle, especially if you spend a few bucks on a decent floor jack, and maybe a $40 electric impact gun from Harbor Freight (don't laugh, it actually works), you can swap all 4 tires in 30 minutes or so.

It's a big expense initially to run 2 sets of tires and rims. I'll just have to see how much aggressive driving I'll do over the Spring/Summer to justify the expense of Winter tires and rims. Right now the $1K investment plus buying new Summer tires just doesn't seem worth it for the few times I want to flog the car away from the City. But, I could change my mind. I bought it in May of this year and babied mostly for break-in, etc. Just turned 3K miles.

I completely understand what dedicated summer tires bring to the table (I've done the 2 sets/rims set-up before on my MK3 VR6), but I'm not convinced it's enough for the expense for the way I will be driving 95% of the time.

Last edited: