GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Power out of my TDI 1.6 Engine

VWMK7TDI

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 TDI
Hi All,

New to the forum and relatively new to modding cars, I've only been doing it for just under a year. I am happy with my car cosmetic wise now and am looking into some performance mods. I currently have a Stage One remap and am pushing 150bhp and 320nm torque. I am wanting to get close to the 200bhp mark..

I was thinking about a Stage Two remap but unsure as to what components would require changing (I believe it requires an induction kit, new clutch, new brakes). An alternative I was thinking was a GTD turbo build, again unsure on the logistics of this sort of swap.

Has anyone got any advise for me or can point me into the right direction? I have started an online mechanics course to try further my knowledge but trying to learn by yourself is proving a little difficult lol.

Thank you in advance,
MK7TDI.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hi All,

New to the forum and relatively new to modding cars, I've only been doing it for just under a year. I am happy with my car cosmetic wise now and am looking into some performance mods. I currently have a Stage One remap and am pushing 150bhp and 320nm torque. I am wanting to get close to the 200bhp mark..

I was thinking about a Stage Two remap but unsure as to what components would require changing (I believe it requires an induction kit, new clutch, new brakes). An alternative I was thinking was a GTD turbo build, again unsure on the logistics of this sort of swap.

Has anyone got any advise for me or can point me into the right direction? I have started an online mechanics course to try further my knowledge but trying to learn by yourself is proving a little difficult lol.

Thank you in advance,
MK7TDI.

You’d be better off asking in the TDIClub.com forums, that whole site is dedicated to TDI. This site skews heavily GTI/Golf R. It’s also an American website so barely any of us have a diesel

VWMK7TDI

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 TDI
You’d be better off asking in the TDIClub.com forums, that whole site is dedicated to TDI. This site skews heavily GTI/Golf R. It’s also an American website so barely any of us have a diesel
Ahh okay then! Sorry this forum was given to me by someone! I’ll try there instead - Thank you.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
For clarity are you DSG or manual..??...(sounds like manual) ..so forget pushing more than 320Nm..the MQ250 clutch/gearbox won't take it its only safety rated for 250Nm..but will take circa 300Nm no problems (going by various peoples reports)......& there's only one performance clutch for it that I'm aware of & they don't state max torque....

You'd be better of buying a GTD....

PS are you the person in the other thread asking about swapping the torsion beam for the multi-link rear suspension?

VWMK7TDI

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 TDI
Yes I have a manual. I have spoken to someone who has successfully fitted a GTD turbo into a 1.6TDI and is now running 199bhp! I don't know the ins and outs yet as I am waiting on a reply from him. But I've heard it was a straight bolt on job with a custom remap.. I will keep you informed on what he says once I hear back e.g. the reliability and practicality of it.

Would you not recommend a Stage 2 remap? I'm not looking to kill the car with excess power just wanting a big more so I can have some fun lol.

I know in theory I should just get a GTD but the car is financed and can't be bothered to deal with the whole selling and paying off the remainder of the finance etc.. I recon the car is too modded for the dealership to offer any sort of part exchange lol. Plus I love this car.

No I wasn't that person, I literally only joined this forum yesterday and this has been my first post.

Thanks for your advice though, I shall be posting more on here until I make my final decision so I'd appreciate any more information you have.. Like I said I'm trying to learn more about mechanics so for me there's no such thing as too much information(y)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
BHP isn't the problem its the torque...the MQ250 gearbox & clutch can't cope with huge amounts.....plenty of people on here with 1.8lt petrol's with high power & shredding the MQ250 5 & 6 speed gearboxes & having to swap to a GTI 6 speed to cope with the torque....& diesel produce torque....I'm pushing mine with circa 312Nm..& you're already over that at 320Nm... & want more..

VWMK7TDI

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 TDI
BHP isn't the problem its the torque...the MQ250 gearbox & clutch can't cope with huge amounts.....plenty of people on here with 1.8lt petrol's with high power & shredding the MQ250 5 & 6 speed gearboxes & having to swap to a GTI 6 speed to cope with the torque....& diesel produce torque....I'm pushing mine with circa 312Nm..& you're already over that at 320Nm... & want more..
Ah now I understand!

I can see the problem now... a new gear box and a specific clutch is what you’re saying will be required (alongside the components needed for the build).. something that would cost too much for it to be beneficial.

What a shame, if I knew this before I would have chosen a more powerful car to begin with. Looks like I’m stuck with what I’ve got for the time being.

Thank you for your help!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There's no point in any manufacturer fitting a high torque capacity gearbox to a lower powered engine...also the reason why you get small sized brakes & basic torsion beam rear suspension...

VW rate the MQ250 to 250Nm safety in all conditions with all max rated loads....i.e. car full of people with full load etc......So that gives you an idea if you don't use the car fully loaded & don't do standing starts that you can safely push more torque through it....but how much is anybody's guess.

Link to one swap here:-
Giovanni Maggio’s 6 Speed Swap (From Mk7 Golf Tsi FB Group) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Last edited:

VWMK7TDI

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 TDI
Thank you Dave, you've been a great help (unlike most car people you've managed to help without being patronising and sarcastic as well lol).

I now know where I'm at.

Just to clarify my MQ250 Gearbox and clutch is not capable of withstanding the torque that a GTD turbo would supply. In order for this build to work I would need to upgrade to a MQ350 6-speed gear box (along with other parts) in order to stop the car killing itself lol.

I've read through the forum you linked - very interesting I will definitely be taking some stuff away from that also.

Thanks again.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
No problems, the majority of the people on here are USA based, some are great, some aren't but like many forums & the web these days!

You could do the stuff to the engine & the GTD turbo swap, but you will have signed the death warrant for the clutch & gearbox.....as it will be a case of when & not "if" they fail....

Just hate to see somebody spend ££ on mods to find that the long term consequence is even more £££ to rectify...

There is plenty to do to the cars, use super diesel like Shell Vpower or Tesco Momentum or what ever..that will stop the car from filling up the DPF....get OBD11 or VCDS & use the DPF check & clear functions to help monitor it. & to induce a burn DPF regen clean....keep it serviced using best quality parts, fit aero undertrays etc., etc...

Last edited: