GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods can delete this

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
do you have insurance (and matches)?

sorry that sux. The part where you mentioned knocking in the first post was a cause of concern to me. Timing belt?

codypka

Go Kart Champion
They swear they did it right. I think i'm going to eat the cost of a tow and second diag and get a 2nd opinion. Undecided at this point about going to the dealer or another indy. It's a 2017 with 80k so warranty won't help

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
Say what you will about dealers, but a place that specifies in one brand of vehicle and has people specifically trained to diagnose and work on said vehicles, despite the price, cannot be overlooked. I doubt a dealer what have threw in a battery and now have no clue what's next

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Have they checked wheel speed sensors? Maybe a long shot, but a while back I had suddenly stuttering and a dead car that wouldn't even start, including misfire codes. Two bad front wheel speed sensors were replaced and it fixed it.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Now I'm second guessing myself on the warranty. I forgot that my car was CPO. Google says power train is 5 year /60 k. CPO ads 2 year 24k to the factory. So maybe I am in warranty after all?

relive

Ready to race!
Now I'm second guessing myself on the warranty. I forgot that my car was CPO. Google says power train is 5 year /60 k. CPO ads 2 year 24k to the factory. So maybe I am in warranty after all?
CPO is a separate warranty that extends the New Car Limited Warranty by 2yr/24k for '17 cars. The New Car Limited Warranty on a '17 was 3yr/36k, so your warranty is 5yr/60k from the initial service date of the car, or 2yr/24k from the date of your purchase, whichever one is later/higher.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Saw what you will about dealers, but a place that specifies in one brand of vehicle and has people specifically trained to diagnose and work on said vehicles, despite the price, cannot be overlooked. I doubt a dealer what have threw in a battery and now have no clue what's next

This. Plus a lot of indy shops charge as much if not more per hour than a lot of dealerships, and bank on people thinking dealerships are ripping them off.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Best thing as always is to get the phone and get some quotes to compare.
My dealer wanted $1300 to do my clutch. I got it done for $400 at an Indy shop.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
First off, get on the horn with the dealer and get the exact warranty dates. They will tell you to the day what is covered.

Half of the shit on that diag I see every time I disconnect my battery. It gets cleared and doesn't come back.

Misfire on every cylinder doesn't usually come as a surprise if it's something catastrophic. Chances are you have a bad fuel pump causing a lean condition, but it could also be something stupid like a cracked spark plug.

Get a second opinion because just the fact those guys are sending you that two page diag shows me they are either clueless or just want to clean house.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Saw what you will about dealers, but a place that specifies in one brand of vehicle and has people specifically trained to diagnose and work on said vehicles, despite the price, cannot be overlooked. I doubt a dealer what have threw in a battery and now have no clue what's next
Yeah, my indy VW, Porsche, Audi shop was going to charge me for a new intake manifold (intake manifold code was shown on my scan of a cel) plus they said I needed a fuel injector.
Brought it to my dealer for a second opinion, and they swapped out that intake manifold for nothing under the PZEV warranty, and told me I didn't need an injector.
So much for the stealorship vs indy shop myth.