GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modified R needs NJ inspection

Joop

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey there, long time reader... don't post much.

I am buying a 2016 Golf R that is Stage 2 with EQtune w/ Cobb access port. MBRP exhaust and currently catless miltek downpipe.

My challenge is to have it pass NJ inspection... a few options come to mind:
- swap to OEM downpipe and reflash to stock tune, (I would like to avoid this and I can't swap downpipes every 2 years)
- buy a catted downpipe for visual (IE or other), reflash to stock tune. (but would a 200 cell count cat be enough to pass? or go 300 cell count?)
- buy a universal cat, cut existing downpipe and weld in new (if there is room, there is a resonator on the dp too)
- swap to OEM downpipe, keep it there forever and maybe get the stage 2 tune to run with stock dp? (would hate to loose performance)

From my research it's hit or miss with NJ inspection. I have heard of successes and failures with multiple different set ups.
Yes I know about the readiness monitors, I guess NJ allows only 1 to not pass from what I hear.

I just don't want to spend $800 on a new dp if I can't use it.

My neighbor does have a VDCS and can check for readiness before I go in.
Currently I have an MK5 with a stage 2 tune and full 3" exhaust and high flow cat... didn't have an isssue 2 years ago with inspection. I have no idea what to expect.

Appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks!

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
If you get an actual good catted dp you should be able to flash back to stock with no cel every 2 years.

4th option isn't possible, that would just be stage 1

Joop

Passed Driver's Ed
If you get an actual good catted dp you should be able to flash back to stock with no cel every 2 years.

4th option isn't possible, that would just be stage 1
Thanks for the reply. I hope that would be the case.... I was looking at an IE catted DP with a 200 cell count in the cat. I would hate to spend the money for that and fail still.

When asked "will this cause a CEL with a stage 2 tune? Or will it cause a CEL if I need to flash to OEM tune?"
This is from IE support: "There won't be a CEL on the dash with stage 2 but you will still have emissions errors."

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I just took my unmodded GTI to NJ inspection and another car (with a tune but catted)... they plug in the computer and check for codes/emissions there.. Dont recall any tailpipe check. I suppose if it sounds real loud they may check more..visual, tailpipe. I did learn the O2 sensor and others needs to be ready but the evaporator sensor can be in a not ready state.

Joop

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the input, what station?
The tuned car: did you have an o2 spacer? aftermarket dp? what stage tune?

GTI RobG

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
I’ve been to the Paramus location with my stage 1 GTI, they just plugged me in and that was it. I have a CTS catback so louder than stock and nothing else was checked. I just added a catted ARM downpipe today with a Urotuning o2 spacer (and EQT stage 2 tune), drove about 50 miles after the install today and no CEL yet.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
thanks for the input, what station?
The tuned car: did you have an o2 spacer? aftermarket dp? what stage tune?

Newton station, Other car has a mild tune but stock downpipe...the cat back exhaust removed some secondary cat it had(after the o2 like why). My son had tune, downpipe and loud exhaust on his FiST and there was no way I could see it passing the Newton folks.

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
Mine is up in July but I'm APR stage 2, turbo back CTS with high-low cat and last time they just plugged me in, took a mirror to look and see if I had a cat , gave me a sticker and I left. I also go to Newton.
Just sucks having to mount my plate, even if it is just for a few minutes 😕

Joop

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I now have the IE catted downpipe installed, O2 spacer, going to drive it around to see if anything pops up.

But thanks for the reminder about the front plate, I can't bring myself to install one permanently, but forgot I will have to for inspection.

Mullyinma

Isn't there a local shop run by Uncle Vinny that you can "pay" for an inspection sticker? I did that a few years ago with one of my modded Honda's. I mean this IS Jersey...everything happens within the contents of a white envelope slipped into someone's hand!! :p:p

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Isn't there a local shop run by Uncle Vinny that you can "pay" for an inspection sticker? I did that a few years ago with one of my modded Honda's. I mean this IS Jersey...everything happens within the contents of a white envelope slipped into someone's hand!! :p:p
I know of a shop that will just plug in and be done. As long as your readiness status is set and there aren’t any codes, you’re set. Cost you about $80 I think. It’s been a while. He doesn’t care about plates, tint and all that crap. I haven’t been to state inspection in years. I don’t know if they check for anything beyond emissions, they’re not supposed to As far as I know.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
NJ official state run inspection stations for you..you can have bald tires, limited brakes, and headlights aim at the sky. But O2 sensor better say ready.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I couldn't stand even driving in NJ. My sister got a ticket for exhaust too loud while driving another brother's car. NJ cops suck. I had a coworker who was a reserve officer. This was a long time ago. He worked when they were short of officers or at special events. He got stopped by a Philly cop, and when he showed his credentials, the cop said he didn't care, he was going to write him a ticket. My coworker said fine, but I'm going to tell all of the other officers about it, and they'll be sure to ticket every Philly cop they stop and tell them it was his fault. It helped his city was on the way to the Jersey shore. It was the only practical way without using the turnpike.